PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to eat....

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 12:57 PM
At a football playoffs/1st birthday party. So appetizer type things for both adults and kids. Sticking with football type things so far we have:

Chicken Wings
Chips and Salsa
Veggies and Dip
Maybe little sliders for the kids?
Cheese and Crackers
Birthday Cupcakes!

Any other ideas? I am thinking I need something more substantial because some people will be sticking around to watch the later game which runs us into dinner time. I know our friends wouldnt really care if we served all apps but still...

boolady
01-11-2011, 01:08 PM
If you're looking for something more substantial, I'd make the Pioneer Woman's Spicy Shredded Pork. It's NOT spicy, just savory. I promise. It's actually quite mild-- I sometimes up the quantities of seasoning. To keep the broth from getting quite as greasy, I don't usually flip it...I will just baste with some of the broth and make sure it comes fairly far up the side of the shoulder while it cooks. Then, when I'm done, I remove the fatty piece on top that keeps it moist while it cooks and throw it out rather than shred it with the meat.

You can pull all of the meat apart and serve with one or two options for your guests: warm tortilla, salsa, guacamole, etc., for soft tacos, (with black or refried beans as a side...maybe some seasoned rice?) and/or some barbecue sauce, coleslaw and buns for sandwiches. The seasonings will not conflict with barbecue sauce-- we have made it with the seasonings she recommends, eaten it the first night as soft tacos, then had it another night with barbecue sauce as pulled pork sandwiches.

We made this two years ago for a football watching get-together and it was a big hit.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/08/spicy-shredded-pork/

bnme
01-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Yum to the above. How about chili & mac and cheese for kids? Or ziti because it is easy.

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Chili or pulled pork sounds good to me. We have held chili cook offs during play off games before and they have gone over well. It's neat to have a variety of chili!

Beth

wendibird22
01-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I think chili is a good recommendation. Along the lines of pulled pork would be roast beef off the roast. My mom did this for xmas dinner. She cooked in a crock the day before and then just served warm in a crock with all the juices. We served it with small, dinner size rolls, for a more snack-like feel.

These beans by Dinosaur BBQ are also a huge hit at our house. We get requested to bring them all the time. The creole seasoning and "mutha" sauce can be found at the grocery store (no need to make from scratch).

http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2004/1580082653_2.html

I also enjoy a few other little snacks that friends make:
1. burrito roll ups sliced...usually inside is cream cheese or sour cream, salsa, pepperoni, etc. Easy finger food and not too messy.

2. boboli pizza spread with cream cheese and loaded with fresh veggies (like broccoli, sweet peppers, black olives, etc) and cut into bite size pieces.

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 02:26 PM
OH bbq probably is a good way to go since we are in NC...hopefully it would be good though, I have some bbq connoisseurs around me!

Twoboos
01-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I was also going to say chili.

And although not the best suggestion health-wise, I feel like a football party almost requires mini-pigs in a blanket. :)

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I was also going to say chili.

And although not the best suggestion health-wise, I feel like a football party almost requires mini-pigs in a blanket. :)

It absolutely does! DH said NO to them because he doesnt like hot dogs and I told him too bad, they are classic. Must admit though that I have never actually made them, do I cook the little wieners and then wrap them and bake? lol

Twoboos
01-11-2011, 02:39 PM
It absolutely does! DH said NO to them because he doesnt like hot dogs and I told him too bad, they are classic. Must admit though that I have never actually made them, do I cook the little wieners and then wrap them and bake? lol

Um, I have NO IDEA of how to cook them, LOL!!! Never made them either. But you must have them. ;)

boolady
01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

You don't have to cook them first-- they'll cook in the "blanket," which in our case, has meant refrigerated crescent rolls, cut into 1/4's or so to fit, then rolled around each mini dog. I haven't done them in a few years, though, since I realized there are trans fats in those and I'm not making dough for pigs from scratch. I am not saying that to pooh pooh your idea. If I was at someone else's house, I'm sure I'd eat a few, it's just that when it's my house, and I made them, I know that as the "chef" I'll eat too many, and I really don't want DD eating that.

LMPC
01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
ITA -- chili or mac and cheese....yum!

elbenn
01-11-2011, 03:39 PM
That spicy shredded pork sounds fabulous!

artvandalay
01-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I agree with pulled pork sandwiches or mac & cheese. I really don't like chicken wings, so that's probably influencing my reasoning.