PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Potato Leek Soup recipe for a snow day!

danagee
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
This is the soup recipe that made me a soup fan. I now make all kinds of soup frequently, but this is my all-time favorite. I've never even had Potato Leek soup other than this, so I have nothing to compare it to, so I apologize to veteran potato leek soup fans if I'm way off.

Anyway, this recipe is the full/fancy version (I did make it this way once). I normally stop at the point where cream is added (we are dairy free so I add rice milk). Then I'll add a can or two of chopped clams. The kids call it Clam Soup.

Found it in a Runners World magazine (here's the original article: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-303-504-12319-0,00.html )

Potato Leek Soup with Steamed Clams

With the right amount of carbs and protein this soup makes the perfect post-run meal. Published 11/13/2007

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups leeks, sliced
4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 cups water or chicken broth, divided
1/3 cup cream, half-and-half, or milk (optional)
24 fresh small clams
2 slices bacon, diced
2 tablespoons shallots, sliced
1 bunch watercress or arugula leaves

Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add leeks and cook for four minutes. Add potatoes, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; cook four more minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water or broth, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 15 minutes or until potatoes are breaking apart. Remove from heat; crush mixture gently with a whisk. Add cream if desired. Set aside. Steam clams with reserved 1/2 cup liquid; add the steaming liquid (but not the clams) to the soup. Brown the bacon; add shallots and cook 30 seconds. Add watercress, stirring quickly to wilt. Ladle soup into bowls, place greens and bacon in center, arrange clams, and serve. Makes four servings as a first course; two as a main course.

Calories (based on four servings, without dairy): 350
Fat: 10 g
Protein: 22 g
Carbs: 43 g

lovebebes
01-11-2011, 02:12 PM
ohh thanks for posting, ive been dreaming of potato leek soup! i must de-fancify it as much as possible though if i ever want to make it haha