PDA

View Full Version : Samantha and Beth - How are the moves going?

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
I might have missed something reading all the fun threads people started for my entertainment...just curious to hear how things are progressing in your moves to new homes!

brittone2
01-11-2011, 02:54 PM
:kisscheek:

Packing away here. We close in just over 2 weeks (we gave seller her choice of closing date. Paid to lock our rate (thank goodness!!!) since we weren't closing until a few months out. Doing pretty well with packing, all things considered. Everyone is sick here which is slowing me down a bit. DH got a recommendation from a coworker for a guy who will do moves at an hourly rate, which is great for us as we're only going about 3 miles this time.

Our original RE agent got the place posted on CL and the first showing we had resulted in a contract. LL is still supposed to fix the garage ceiling, but has signed a release for us from our contract with him at this point. (in our state, if we break the lease, the LL has the duty to mitigate losses and has to attempt to fill the balance of the lease. We knew he would drag his feet so RE agent was proactive in getting it rented out, prescreening tenants for credit, etc. making it tough for LL to say no to the tenant(s) presented.

I will be so. glad. to be out of here. And glad to not be living in a state of temporary, which is how the last 5 years have kind of felt.

Thanks for thinking of me! :)

How's your search?

I talked w/ my parents earlier and they mentioned lots of sleet and ice in NC currently? We're supposed to get 4-8 in my neck of the woods later today.

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 03:17 PM
I'm glad things are moving along and that rates are locked in, tenants and lease issues are behind you!!! That LL was a piece of work. We all really appreciated the picture of the "work" he did in your kitchen, lol.

We're making no speedy headway here. There is nothing on our side of town that has 4 BR with a yard and in our price range. Even if there was, I'm not sure how we'd manage to get into it with $$ and time constraints and effort. I actually emailed one of my grad school professors who lives where we want to live (in the next neighborhood over) to tell him to keep an eye out for us. I trust that it will happen when it is supposed to happen, though. Watching the ILs try to sell and decide which retirement community is right for them is keeping us busy. Hopefully something will happen for both of our in-town families and we'll end up close by still.

Yes, ICE! I looked at the neighbor's driveways just now and they are clear/white. Maybe the sheet of ice has some air under it right now. The de-icing truck with a snow plow/ice scraper just went by the front of the house again. When I took a bath this morning, all I hear through the ceiling fan/vent thing was the scraper trucks on the highway. Nice and relaxing. ;) Actual snow - like 4-8" sounds perfect. Any bit of ice is no fun.

We look forward to the "let's redo this custom kitchen" threads in the future. Do you have a list of major/minor projects for the new place?

brittone2
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Loooong list of want to dos. Fortunately, the place itself is in great shape (far better than anything else we saw) but definitely needs cosmetic changes (removing a bit of wallpaper, I may paint the oak cabinets, need new dishwasher and fridge). Painting, and probably will paint the wood trim. Need a roof in 3 years or so and that obviously needs to be a priority on the budget end of things. However, it is nice to be able to focus on "want to do" items vs. must do.

Your house is out there! My parents are still trying to sell. They haven't advertised (don't get me started) and are trying to do it FSBO.

Showings with young kids are NOT fun. It was tough when we only had one DC, and with 3 I'd lose my mind. We were able to escape that part of it when we were selling in NC, but yeah, logistics are not easy!

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Showings with young kids are NOT fun. It was tough when we only had one DC, and with 3 I'd lose my mind. We were able to escape that part of it when we were selling in NC, but yeah, logistics are not easy!
Ok, I need a thread for this... DH and I are trying to decide which of us can handle heart palpitations...me if we try to sell while living here with 3 LOs or him if we try to move out and pay for two places at a time.