PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Plane or drive?

mskitty
01-11-2011, 03:23 PM
5 hour flight with an active 18 month old by yourself with a long walk through O'Hare or try to strap him into a carseat with DH for a 12 hour car ride?

mskitty

SnuggleBuggles
01-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Would you be on the road trip too or just dh?

TwinFoxes
01-11-2011, 03:26 PM
12 hours straight through? Then I say fly. 12 hours seems like a lot for an 18 month old to handle. But my DDs aren't very good on long car rides, so my opinion is colored by that.

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Can you drive over night?

alexsmommy
01-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Personally, I'd drive. I like road tripping, DH and I like having our own car, being able to take as many toys for the little ones (who won't be old enough to like attractions) as we need and being able to go at our own pace. The idea of being stuck at O'Hare makes my crazed.
That's just me. You are right at our quasi break point, generally 12 hrs or less we drive with the kids at this age. 12-13 hrs more we tend to fly. BFF lives in Atlanta and we generally drive there leaving mid-afternoon and doing 6-8 hours one day and finish up the next.

sunshine873
01-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Personally...12 hour car ride, hands down. But I like to travel by car and we do it often (just got back from a 17 hour one way trip over the holidays.)

A 5 hour plane trip is going to have an extra hour & a half on the front side for check in, security, etc, not to mention possible delays etc. It just doesn't sound like enough time savings to make it worth it to me. On a car ride you can stop, get out and run around as needed.

That's my 2 cents...

rlu
01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I voted drive but if it is just DH and not you as well, it's pretty much a toss-up.

mskitty
01-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Would you be on the road trip too or just dh?

Option 1) DS and I fly with DH driving separately a day later. Total door to door time is 5 hours with a 1.5 hour flight and 20 minute flight through O'Hare.
Option 2) DH, DS and I would all drive together. Maybe straight through or split 5 hours of evening driving with a hotel stop and 7 hours the next day.

I have a nonrefundable plane ticket that I purchased originally to travel by myself. My mother passed away sooner than anticipated and we all need to be there for the funeral.

It just burns me to "throw away" the plane ticket.... I'd only get a $50 credit after change fees. It is a sunken cost. I'm not sure I want to spend another $200 to "save" my $50 credit IYKWIM.

Thought I"d ask for everyone's opinion... Husband heavily favors option 2.

mskitty

ellies mom
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Does the five hours include the O'Hara lay-over? Or is it five hours of "on the plane" time? If it includes the layover? I'd fly. The lay-over gives the little one a chance to stretch his legs.

ETA- I see it is five hours total.

Fly. Definitely.

crayonblue
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Most definitely the car ride. And I would drive mostly at night.

I am looking into flights to CA for Spring Break (5 hour flight). My baby will be 14 months old. I am not looking forward to that. I would MUCH rather drive 12 hours with DH and the kids!

crayonblue
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Oh, it's a 1.5 hour flight??? Then flying would be a cinch! I change my vote to flying!

TwinFoxes
01-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a nonrefundable plane ticket that I purchased originally to travel by myself. My mother passed away sooner than anticipated and we all need to be there for the funeral.

It just burns me to "throw away" the plane ticket.... I'd only get a $50 credit after change fees. It is a sunken cost. I'm not sure I want to spend another $200 to "save" my $50 credit IYKWIM.

Thought I"d ask for everyone's opinion... Husband heavily favors option 2.

mskitty

I'm really sorry for your loss. But given this extra bit of info, I change my opinion to drive. I would not have been capable of flying with a toddler after my mom died. :hug: I would rather be together with my family in that situation.

The money is gone, don't even factor that in.

3blackcats
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
My Dd is an awesome during any type of travel, which is nice. We've done long plane rides and long car trips home to Canada.

It really depends on how your LO behaves in the car on the plane, etc. Dd has been on airplanes since she was about 4 months old. She has always had her own seat on the airplane.

If you fly, does that leave DH doing a 12 hour drive by himself? I wouldn't like my DH traveling by himself.

It is nice to have your own vehicle at your destination.

Oh, and depends on what kind of vehicle you are traveling in. My tiny Corolla = not fun for road trips; my fully loaded Ody = awesome for road trips

ETA: just read the reason for your posting. I'm so sorry for your loss. I would get in the car and drive. IMO, I would feel more in control driving then at the mercy of the airports and their delays. Leave way early so your LO sleeps as much as possible. You'll be ready to stop for gas when it's breakfast time. 12 hours won't be that bad.

crl
01-11-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. I would drive with dh under the circumstances.

Catherine

katydid1971
01-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Having done both I say the planne ride with an Ergo!!

indigo99
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
With the extra info, I'd fly. 1.5hrs by plane isn't that bad, and the changing scenery of the airport (not 5hrs straight on a plane) will make it easier for DC. How much is it for DH to fly with you? That'd be my first choice for sure if at all possible.

hillview
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I'd fly hands down. Personal Disclaimer -- I fly a lot for work and in general we travel so it isn't something that concerns me at all with kids.
/hillary

megs4413
01-11-2011, 10:51 PM
I'd fly. we just did a car trip last week (about 11 hours. 7 on the first day and then 4 the next day) and while it wasn't too bad, it was looooooooong and uncomfortable. we flew to disney in november and it was no problem at all, even with BOTH kids and their carseats!

resipsaloquitur
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
I'm a single mom with two kids- DS (7) and DD (very, very active 16 months). For Thanksgiving we drove a total of 20 hours round trip. For Christmas we flew a total of 10 hours round trip. The road trip was SOOOOO much easier. I could stop when the kids needed to. When they got upset no one but me heard them scream. They slept a lot on the car ride-almost none of the plane. Since you will have DH in the car you will have even more help. This is not even a close decision for me- Car.

ChristinaLucia
01-11-2011, 11:05 PM
Drive for sure :)