PDA

View Full Version : Blood in stool? Starting to worry

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Not sure if this is the right place to post this...WTG you asked for it!

DS' last 5 BMs (4! today) have been pretty red/orange looking. They look like red clay soil, Im starting to worry that this is blood. He hasn't eaten anything red, he is on Cefdinir for his ears.

I would just call the Dr and ask but they are closed because of the ice.

Any ideas? Am I being paranoid?

BabyMine
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
What has he been eating?

kristenk
01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Copied from Cefdinir's side effects listing on medicinenet:

This medication may cause your stools to turn a reddish color, especially if you also take iron products. This is harmless.

I'm guessing that's it.

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 03:49 PM
What has he been eating?

Hmm since yesterday...
Plain waffle for breakfast
He had some mac n cheese at panera, just a little bit, and yogurt for lunch
Veggie puffs for snack
For dinner he had some Earths Best Chicken Soup and a couple bites of grilled cheese
For breakfast banana and cheerios
Lunch leftover chicken soup and toast w/butter
Some veggie puffs for snack
Hes also had formula, BM, and water with a little apple juice in it

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Copied from Cefdinir's side effects listing on medicinenet:

This medication may cause your stools to turn a reddish color, especially if you also take iron products. This is harmless.

I'm guessing that's it.

Oh my goodness thank you! I was nervous to try and google anything about it in case the stories out there turned me uber paranoid. Thank you!:bowdown:

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, it was informational...I give this thread a :thumbsup: Glad it seems like nothing to worry about!

LMPC
01-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Well, it was informational...I give this thread a :thumbsup: Glad it seems like nothing to worry about!
You are too funny!

WPM, glad it was nothing!

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

Nothing like a good poop thread to keep things exciting!

lol I feel silly now :duh:, but Im glad its nothing.

liz
01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I think the PP answered your question but I just wanted to add that if there was blood in the stool, you would probably notice obvious blood (meaning the stool would not be red in color, more like - and sorry if TMI- clots), you would be wiping blood away after a bowel movement or it would show up looking like black tar (old blood).

Anyway, glad to hear it was the medicine!