PDA

View Full Version : WWYD- not happy with stroller purchase

spring_mommy
01-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I recently purchased the Instep Grand Safari Swivel Wheel Double Jogger from Amazon for my newbie and my 20 mo old. It got good reviews and we were working with a limited budget ($200) so it seemed like a good option. I've used it less than a handful of times.

Here's my problem the seat back won't stay upright. After a few mins of my 22 mo old being in it, it's fully reclined. It's not a defect it's just the way it's constructed, so getting a replacement isn't going to fix the problem. It sucks though.

I have a 2mo & 22mo who need to ride in it regularly. The 3yo only occasionally will ride. He's not big but he barely fits in the seats. They are really narrow. (another issue i have with this stroller, they are kind of narrow for my 22 mo esp when she's wearing a coat).

What do i do?

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Doesn't Amazon have free returns on baby purchases? Have you contacted them?

pampers37
01-11-2011, 04:14 PM
i believe amazon baby for some items is even 365 day return policy.

spring_mommy
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Oh i didn't know that. I haven't contacted them YET, but i intend to once i figure out what i want out of this situation. We have a limited budget so i don't know what is a better option. Any suggestions? It'll have to be with Amazon i think because we used an e-certificate gift to buy this stroller.

spring_mommy
01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
uh oh. Everyone was quick to answer initially. It's my budget huh? There are no good options.... :(

SuperstarNanna
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
You may consider trying the Baby Jogger Expedition double. I had the single and liked it just fine (I got it for $25 on clearance at Target one year and it's actually been my favorite stroller to date - like you we've never had the budget for any of the pricier strollers that are usually recommended on here). The new double is a freaking beast to life and fold, but it's in the same price range as the Instep so it might be worth trying that brand out.

WatchingThemGrow
01-11-2011, 07:14 PM
SuperstarNanna, maybe you mean Baby Trend Expedition, not to be confused with the pricier, but oh so sweet Baby Jogger Elite Double.

roseyloxs
01-11-2011, 10:44 PM
I am not sure where you live but an old mountain buggy or valco will be nicer then a new baby trend or instep. Check your local craigslist for doubles. I would look for BOB, Baby Jogger, Mountain Buggy, Valco, or Bumbleride. I see old mountain buggies for low prices all the time and they are usually still in great shape. good luck.

curiousgeorge
01-11-2011, 10:55 PM
If you have an REI near you, another option is to check out their garage sale. That's where they sell returned items that can't be resold as new. We got a Bob Duallie there for under $200 including tax. It was in fantastic shape, basically new. It was returned because the buyer's son wouldn't ride in it. It doesn't even look like it has been used outside. You don't have to be an REI member to attend the garage sale, but you do have to join to make a purchase. It is a one-time fee of $20 to become a member.

SuperstarNanna
01-11-2011, 11:03 PM
SuperstarNanna, maybe you mean Baby Trend Expedition, not to be confused with the pricier, but oh so sweet Baby Jogger Elite Double.

Gah! Yes, I totally meant Baby Trend. Good lordy, I need a nap!!!! Thank you for catching and correcting my goof.

spring_mommy
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
The thing is that we got a gift certificate that we redeemed at Amazon to get a stroller. The choices were limited on where we could redeem it. So we need to get another one from there.

Multimama
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Do you actually want to jog with the stroller? If you don't actually jog with it, that opens up your options as it is true joggers that are truly pricey. What do you use the stroller for?

I think others have offered some good options, but I can see the problem with the gift card. Maybe you could find someone who would trade you the gift card for $200 cash so you could look elsewhere for a stroller? Or you could buy other necessities on Amazon and then save up the money you would have spent at the grocery store for a Craig's List stroller purchase?

If the stroller fully reclines while your child is just sitting in it, that is a defect and I would return it.

And just out of curiosity, how do I find out when the REI garage sale is?? :)

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I think others have offered some good options, but I can see the problem with the gift card. Maybe you could find someone who would trade you the gift card for $200 cash so you could look elsewhere for a stroller? Or you could buy other necessities on Amazon and then save up the money you would have spent at the grocery store for a Craig's List stroller purchase?

If the stroller fully reclines while your child is just sitting in it, that is a defect and I would return it.

:yeahthat: Amazon sells everything. You can just remember to use the giftcard every time you need to buy a gift for someone else. Good chance Amazon sells whatever you need for a good price and it may even have free shipping. Even if you decide to skip CL you need to return that stroller. A seatback should not fall down while a child is sitting in it.

Multimama
01-12-2011, 03:48 PM
:yeahthat: Good chance Amazon sells whatever you need for a good price and it may even have free shipping.

And if you sign up for Amazon Mom you can start earning free shipping on whatever they sell, which will make it even easier to buy your essentials with your gift card.

toystorymama
01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
We buy all of our baby necessities from Amazon. They have the best price for diapers and wipes with their subscription service and you can cancel or postpone at any time. :)

arivecchi
01-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Can you up your budget a little and get one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/phil-teds-Twin-Stroller-CLOSEOUT/dp/B001I5SGL6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1294861951&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Triumph-Stroller-Coffee-Silver/dp/B001LF3W1W/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1294862019&sr=8-21

I used to have this stroller:

http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Jogging-Stroller/dp/B0013H9WO4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294862354&sr=8-4

While the seats did not recline on their own likeyours, they were very reclined, the canopy was tiny and the stroller was super tippy. I would avoid that brand.

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 04:38 PM

http://www.amazon.com/InStep-Safari-Swivel-Jogging-Stroller/dp/B0013H9WO4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294862354&sr=8-4

While the seats did not recline on their own likeyours, they were very reclined, the canopy was tiny and the stroller was super tippy. I would avoid that brand.

Shock and Awe! There was life before the Valco? Did you own a travel system too?

arivecchi
01-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Nope. Valco was my first stroller and the Triumph the second one. I decided to buy an inexpensive double when DS2 was born and regretted it the second we got it. I think the Instep lasted 4 days before I sold it on CL. LOL.

blondflava
01-12-2011, 05:31 PM
I bet it was snatched in 5 minutes from CL, too! LOL

arivecchi
01-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I bet it was snatched in 5 minutes from CL, too! LOL It was gone the next morning! The BJCCD loaded with accessories took longer to sell. Go figure!

spring_mommy
01-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Can you up your budget a little and get one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/phil-teds-Twin-Stroller-CLOSEOUT/dp/B001I5SGL6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1294861951&sr=8-18

http://www.amazon.com/Maclaren-Triumph-Stroller-Coffee-Silver/dp/B001LF3W1W/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1294862019&sr=8-21

I like that P&T's. But 36 pounds?! That would KILL me lifting it in and out of our suburban. Nevermind pushing it up the hill we live on. Sigh.
The Mac- i like that too, but it doesn't look substantial enough for my newbie. I was looking for something a bit more solid.

Yeah, i'm over the Instep. I don't think it's a defect, I think it's the way the tether is made that holds it in the upright position that is just junky.

Multimama
01-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm still confused about what your stroller needs are. You have a 2 year old and a 3 year old? What did you use when they were babies? What did you like or dislike about it?

Also, when did your 3 year old stop riding? Could you just buy a really nice baby carrier and wear the newborn until your 2 year old is either done riding or ready for a hitchhiker board and buy a nice single? This is probably what I would do.

spring_mommy
01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm still confused about what your stroller needs are. You have a 2 year old and a 3 year old? What did you use when they were babies? What did you like or dislike about it?

Also, when did your 3 year old stop riding? Could you just buy a really nice baby carrier and wear the newborn until your 2 year old is either done riding or ready for a hitchhiker board and buy a nice single? This is probably what I would do.

I have a 2mo, 22mo, 3yo. The 2mo &22mo need to ride in it regularly. The 3yo usually walks but sometimes he needs to ride, in which case i wear 2mo.

I used a Graco Quattro Duo when the now 22mo and 3yo were babies. I hate that #$^$# stroller. It became way too heavy to push and steer when the 22mo was about 6mos old. While i was pg (with newbie) i used the really old Baby Jogger i have. It worked for the older two. I love that it is lightweight. I dislike the width (can't fit through the doorway at the school, and i hate that the seats don't recline (useless now with a infant) and it doesn't fold. We never take it anywhere because it basically only folds in half and you have to remove the wheel- the one time we took it out away from home it had to be strapped to the roof. PITA

Sorry NAK so had to come back to edit/add: I used the really old double mac for trips to the store with the 2 older ones or the oldest walked and the little one rode in the single mac. The double mac is old and really not good for a tiny baby. The straps aren't very good, the footrest doesn't stay up. It's on it's way out.

Having 3, 3 and under i don't want to always wear newbie. It's just not always practical for me.

Multimama
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Okay, it sounds like what you need is a double that is easy for in and out of the car and a good all around stroller for under $200. You didn't mention jogging, so I'm assuming you don't need it for that. In that case, I am going to recommend the Baby Jogger City Micro. It will be 1,000x better than any of the strollers you have owned so far and it is on sale right now for $199 at albeebaby.com. It is not as nice as the Mini in the same line, but for the money I understand it has great handling and a lot of convenient features.

It doesn't recline completely flat, but I read a thread over at car-seat.org where people said they felt the recline was adequate for 3 month olds or even younger. If you really need to you could use the In Step for another month before returning it (since it really is defective, even if the defect is in the design) and then start using the Micro. Sounds like a great stroller for your needs in your price range. I would just use the Amazon gift card for essentials and then buy the Micro with the cash from Albee, as we said.

HTH!

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I don't think the micro's recline is suitable for a baby younger then 6 months. However it would work great for your 2 and 3 year old while you wear the baby. For $100 more you can get the mini which does have a full recline and can be used right away with your baby.

spring_mommy
01-13-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't think the micro's recline is suitable for a baby younger then 6 months. However it would work great for your 2 and 3 year old while you wear the baby. For $100 more you can get the mini which does have a full recline and can be used right away with your baby.

I have only seen pics with older babies in it. I wish i could see what a younger baby looks like. The Grand Safari didn't have a full recline, but it was good enough. Anyone have a pic of a baby in a Micro?

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_STL3ku6Ae2k/SgTuX2ojIyI/AAAAAAAAHWQ/rZW0xD3pWiU/s320/city_micro.jpg

Multimama
01-13-2011, 05:54 PM
This (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=130569) is the thread I found with pics and a discussion about the recline. No pics of a baby in the stroller though.

AnnieW625
01-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Oh i didn't know that. I haven't contacted them YET, but i intend to once i figure out what i want out of this situation. We have a limited budget so i don't know what is a better option. Any suggestions? It'll have to be with Amazon i think because we used an e-certificate gift to buy this stroller.

Go look on Craigslist for a Bob Revolution Duallie. You will be very happy!

Multimama
01-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Go look on Craigslist for a Bob Revolution Duallie. You will be very happy!

I am so jealous of those of you who can find things like Bobs on your CLs. :)

OP, there is a sweet deal on the Baby Jogger City Select right now on Amazon. I don't think it includes the extra seat, so it might be too pricey, but could really work for your situation. There is a thread about it.

spring_mommy
01-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I am so jealous of those of you who can find things like Bobs on your CLs. :)

OP, there is a sweet deal on the Baby Jogger City Select right now on Amazon. I don't think it includes the extra seat, so it might be too pricey, but could really work for your situation. There is a thread about it.

yeah- with the extra seat it would. :(

spring_mommy
01-14-2011, 12:39 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_STL3ku6Ae2k/SgTuX2ojIyI/AAAAAAAAHWQ/rZW0xD3pWiU/s320/city_micro.jpg

oh wow- it hardly reclines at all :( Nope, that's not gonna work :( I wish the Mini wasn't so much-