PDA

View Full Version : dryer static-alternative to dryer sheets?

NBooRey
01-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi All,

I have been looking for alternatives to dryer sheets for static reduction, and wonder what you have to recommend. Amazon has some static balls, all with mixed reviews. I live in dry Colorado! Your thoughts and recommendations??

Thanks,
Nicole

Twoboos
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't have any good recommendations. But I have been meaning to post the same question! I have some of the dryer balls, they don't work.

I usually try to get the unscented dryer sheets, and use only half in a load. I am in the NorthEast and the static is SO bad in the winter, so we need something.

I think vinegar in the wash is supposed to help - can someone confirm or deny?

twowhat?
01-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I posted the same question a while ago with disappointing results:) Not sure there's any great solution. I've tried vinegar. No go. The friction/heat/dry air in the dryer -that causes static and when the air is so dry there's not much you can do about it!

But here's a trick that I learned - after drying a load, I put a generous dollop of Cerave cream on my hands (which is the moisturizer that we all use), lotion up my hands, and then reach in and pull out all the laundry. While my hands are still damp with lotion, I lightly rub them over the static-y clothes to separate them (and to prevent static shock). I re-apply Cerave to my hands as needed until everything is shaken out and static-free. Usually only takes 1-2 applications. Then my hands are nice and soft and I can fold without that horrible snagging feeling of dry skin on clothes:)

If you don't like the idea that you'll have traces of Cerave on the laundry, lightly wetting your hands works just as well. You'll just have to wet your hands several times until the laundry is all shaken out and static-free.

eta: I also try not to over-dry laundry. Our dryer has a moisture sensor on it which I set so that the dryer stops when they clothes have just the slightest hint of damp.

sewarsh
01-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I tried the dryer balls - they STINK!

I used to use Costco dryer sheets, but the chemicals in them freaked me out.

Now I just use Costco environmentally friendly fabric softener or SunEarth fabric softener.

My clothes are completely static free and i don't miss the dryer sheets at all.