PDA

View Full Version : If you suffer from migraines....

elektra
01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I think I have posted on this before but I have to share again about Treximet. This has been like a wonder drug for me. I was getting migraines about 1-2x/month and it basically left me in bed for an entire day. I would lose a whole work day, time with DC, etc.
But Treximet completely makes my migraines go away. Gone.
I swear I don't work for the company or anything. I just had to share something that has helped me SO much, and I know that migraines are not uncommon among the mamas here.
And now we even have a forum for such discussions. :)

WolfpackMom
01-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Im glad it worked for you! Short lived relief for me, but Ive had migraines since I was 6yrs old so meds have tendency to work for 6 months or so for me and then wane off in effectiveness.
Migraines blow!!

bigpassport
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Is that taken daily? Or at the onset of a migraine? Is there a generic for it yet?

alirebco
01-11-2011, 06:14 PM
That's awesome. I was able to stop my migraines completely (6 times a month) with diet only. Thank goodness.

TwoBees
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Is that taken daily? Or at the onset of a migraine? Is there a generic for it yet?

There is no generic for it yet, but Treximet is sumatriptan and naproxen. Sumatriptan (Imitrex) is available in generic form. Naproxen is Aleve (over the counter). Talk to you doctor though before combining medications to see what doses are right for you.

TwoBees
01-12-2011, 12:01 PM
That's awesome. I was able to stop my migraines completely (6 times a month) with diet only. Thank goodness.

Was this by avoiding foods that trigger your migraines, or adding foods that have a prophylactic effect? I avoid foods that trigger my migraines, but sometimes I get them anyway (they aren't always food-related).

elektra
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM

I take it at the onset.

strawberryswing
01-16-2011, 12:40 AM
I have had the same great result with Maxalt. It has been a lifesaver! I can't take Treximet because, like Imitrex, it has an ingredient that is similar to sulfa, which I am allergic to.

For others who have not had success with these meds, or are unable to take them, I wanted to share another remedy that has been SO helpful to me-- Ice packs! I have found a great one that I can wear on my head like a headband and still manage to get things done around the house. You can order them from the manufacturer or get them on Amazon.

http://www.medi-temp.com/products/UNIVPL.html
http://www.amazon.com/Medi-Temp-Head-Neck-Hot-Cold-Therapy/dp/B000A3IP0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295151838&sr=8-1

They make a version specifically for head/neck, but I like the Universal one better. I think it stays on better and can be adjusted for a tighter fit (sometimes the pressure feels good to me).

And finally, I love a product called Volcano Oil that I found at a little day spa/massage place on Maui years ago and now order. I didn't want to use Tiger Balm on my neck and shoulders while I was nursing/pregnant and this product is all essential oils. I stock up when it goes on sale periodically for $10. It is easy to carry in your purse or car and it comes in a little roller ball applicator that you can rub on your temples, jaw, neck. Sometimes just smelling it makes me feel a little better! You can find it here:
http://www.mauiexcellent.com/volcano-oil1.html

I have no affiliation with either of these products...I am just a person who has suffered from migraines since childhood and still has daily headaches, so I have tried just about everything! But if others have remedies to share, I would love to hear them! Hope this helps someone.:)

MissAndi
01-23-2011, 01:59 AM
I have had the same great result with Maxalt. It has been a lifesaver!

I LOVE my Maxalt. Of course, I can't take it while I'm PG which is kind of a bummer. I tried several drugs, but Maxalt really works best for me.

I take it with a Coke chaser, as the caffeine generally helps me as well.

Mine were brought on by two different things:
1-hormonal changes during my monthly cycle
2-really, really, really bad allergies (something about the swelling and pressure on one side of my head...)

I've had great luck with bringing the allergies under control, so I was only getting a migraine once a month. After being PG for 9 months now, I've only had 2 migraines.

:bouncy:

amldaley
01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
I did a totally tyramine-free diet for 4 months and then began VERY slowly adding some foods back in. I also lost 35 lbs doing this! It is very hard to find complete lists of food that contain tyramine, but I spent days online and read as much as I could and made one giant list. I was VERY strict with it\ (and still am on a low tyramine diet). It was a lifestyle change for me and included giving up meat entirely.

The only migraines I have now are one day at ovulation and one either 1 day before AF or day 1 of AF. I used to have them almost daily. The caused me drop out of law school.

Corie
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
It's funny because my wonder drug is Zomig. :) My brother
also gets migraines and he told me about it. Now, my sister
and I also have prescriptions. Zomig is awesome!

I can take Zomig and put an ice pack on my head and the
pain is gone within 30 min. I love it!!!

amldaley
01-24-2011, 11:58 PM
It's funny because my wonder drug is Zomig. :) My brother
also gets migraines and he told me about it. Now, my sister
and I also have prescriptions. Zomig is awesome!

I can take Zomig and put an ice pack on my head and the
pain is gone within 30 min. I love it!!!

I liked Zomig for menstrual migraines, but it stopped working for me. :crying: And, weirdly, I always had joint pain the next day from it.

elektra
01-25-2011, 12:11 AM
I liked Zomig for menstrual migraines, but it stopped working for me. :crying: And, weirdly, I always had joint pain the next day from it.

Do you know the difference between Zomig and Treximet? So sorry it doesn't work for you anymore. Menstrual migraines are my main issue.

amldaley
01-25-2011, 12:30 AM
Do you know the difference between Zomig and Treximet? So sorry it doesn't work for you anymore. Menstrual migraines are my main issue.

I am not positive but fairly certain that Treximet is like Imitrex and Midrin togther. I think it is a sulfa drug.

Zomig does not have sulfa, which many people, including me, are allergic to.

Zomig is taken immediately at onset and, in theory, if not taken within the first hour, it quickly loses efficacy.