PDA

View Full Version : Keep or Toss toys your child wants to keep

niccig
01-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Normally I listen to DS and if he really wants to keep a certain toy, then he can keep it. I wasn't listened to as a child, so I do listen to what he is trying to tell me. But this is a little too much for me. Someone gave us a remote controlled snake. Yes, a green snake on little wheels that apparently moves like a snake. I say apparently, as I have refused to let DS or DH put batteries in the thing. Now why in the world would anyone think we would like this, I do not know.

I have a very visceral reaction to seeing anything slithering by, I scream, I jump 10 ft and then I want to dispatch it permanently from this earth. I know many snakes are harmless, and help by keeping the rodent population down, but my reaction is deep seated, mostly because growing up all the snakes I saw were very poisonous. I have no desire to be walking into the family room and have this thing slither out from under a chair as DS is trying to scare me. I know it is plastic, I know it is not real, but I can't stand it.

I'm cleaning out the toy closet and I find this toy snake hidden at the back. I want to get rid of it, DS will want to keep it...maybe I should just hid it again and in a few years I can toss it and not feel guilty.

So, keep and let him play with it, donate it, or hide it again...

crl
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Well, I think for this one I would donate it. You shouldn't be afraid in your own house over a toy. IMO that trumps your son's desire to keep it. I think this is an opportunity to show him that listening goes both ways and he needs to honor your feelings too. Or you could just hide it again to avoid the confrontation.

Catherine

rlu
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Do you have any relatives near-by? This sounds like a good toy to take and leave at Grandma's.

IIRC your family is not here so I would make this a toy he can only play with when you are not there (compromise). Depends if you want to make this about you, compromise, or about inappropriate toys. IMHO this is not an inappropriate toy.

indigo99
01-11-2011, 06:03 PM
IF you could choose to NOT be afraid of snakes then would you? I don't think it's a good thing to pass this fear on to your child - caution is good but fear is not. I remember seeing an episode of Jon & Kate plus 8 where they visited the zoo, and one child was so excited to see the alligator because they had a stuffed alligator.

Now if someone gave us a LIVE spider then forget about it, but a toy snake... I think it's a bit silly not to let DC have it (not judging you but you did ask for opinions).

Twoboos
01-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Hide it away, but not in the same spot. If he doesn't bring it up for 1-2mos (that's my limit) toss it.

It's OK not to have a toy you don't approve of - for whatever reason! - in your house. DD2 rec'd a cheapo even sluttier Bratz-type doll for a bday, and very slowly all the parts/pieces made it to the trash. That doll scared me probably as much as the snake toy scares you. You know it's not real, but real ones are out there. :wink2: