PDA

View Full Version : Which Canon dSLR?

sarahsthreads
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I own the original Canon Rebel dSLR (the 300D) but for complicated reasons do not have it in my possession on a regular basis. I like my Canon P&S, but vastly prefer the speed and picture quality of a dSLR. And, I've finally saved up enough to buy myself a new camera.

But there's lots of new models to choose from and I'm overwhelmed!

The T2i/550D is at the very top of my price range - really a bit more than I'd like to spend, honestly - and the XS/1000D, while clearly an upgrade to my old camera, is really similar specs to what I already own. So I'm thinking of either the XSi/450D or the T1i/500D. The main difference seems to be a few megapixels and whether it takes video, but there's other, smaller differences, like the T1i having a better LCD and a larger buffer for continuous shooting.

Does anyone here have either of these? What do you love (or not love) about it?

Oh, and I'm sticking with Canon because I already own a couple decent lenses from way back when I had a Canon film SLR (how quaint!) but I think I'm also going to add the 50mm f/1.8 lens because it sounds like fun. :)

Thanks for any and all advice!
Sarah :)

Jacksmommy2b
01-11-2011, 06:27 PM
There is a post on slickdeals forum for a T2i refurbished with 2 lenses for $700.

codex57
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
T1i. I always prefer the one that came out later. The technology is still new so there are sizeable improvements made with each later camera.

Unlike point and shoots where it's pretty much plateaued for a few years now. It's prolly better to buy a slightly older p&s cuz the build quality seems to be going down on p&s cameras with no increase in ability. More megapixels on p&s is actually a bad thing.

larig
01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
since you're not just starting out with lenses, maybe look for a great deal on a body only. I'm with Codex, though, (especially because of lenses) go for the t1i. (OR a t2i body only with a great deal).

LMPC
01-11-2011, 09:10 PM
I love my T2i, so I would say that and start searching for the deals :)

oneplustwo
01-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Love, love, LOVE my new T2i, so I'd vote for the T1i ~ or the T2i if you can swing the price. There have been some great deals for the T2i recently, both before and after Christmas, so you just might find one that fits better into your budget. I got my T2i with the 18-55mm kit lens plus the 50-250mm kit lens plus a Tiffen filter in one of those deals.

sarahsthreads
01-11-2011, 11:28 PM
OK. You all have me convinced not to avoid the T2i based solely on price. ;)

I guess I'll just have to find some time to go to the local camera store and play and ask a lot of questions. Without kids in tow.

I think I do want the kit lens, simply because the lenses I have in my possession are full frame lenses and aren't wide enough for a crop frame camera. The kit lens for the Rebel G is in use with that camera and unavailable to me. And I've heard decent things about the current kit lens - well, at least that it's a significant improvement over the old kit lens!

So those that have the T1i or the T2i, is the video feature decent? I have a dedicated video camera that gets no love in favor of little clips on my Canon SD940. It seems...odd?...to have an SLR that does video.

Sarah :)

larig
01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
I have not yet tried the video, to be honest, but I have seen some impressive sample video from t2i. It's HD. It does not auto focus, I believe, but you can do it manually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wt1rDou0rqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deVkCbwry4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBSmJLhKL8

There are a couple of major differences between the two bodies--t2i has 3 more MP (18ish v. 15ish), more focus points (whatever they're called), is better in low light and can take an external mic for video. (It may also shoot slightly better video.)

ETA: I have owned both. I had the t1i for 3 months, and decided to trade up a month ago (with the killer deals I paid slightly more to get the t2i + 2 lenses).

theriviera
01-11-2011, 11:45 PM
I've heard that there is a huge improvement between the 300D/original rebels and the t2i, mainly on higher ISO levels. important if you shoot a lot indoors (low light). read it somewhere on dpreview.