PDA

View Full Version : Phonics!!! Please help me.

mom2one
01-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Okay, I feel like I got a lousy education. My DS is in 1st grade and I need help to help him do his homework.

We are suppose to fold a piece of paper into three colums and have a Long Vowel Sound, a SHort Vowel sounds and other column.

Examples- long vowel sounds - like
short vowel sound - him
other - could

Here our the 10 words-

like, him, see, time, could, shell, this, when, chick, hatch

I am totally going to try to make him do this, but seriously I dont know how to explain it. Can you help me?

By the way, I will never go on Are you Smarter than a 5th grader. I already know I am getting my 2nd education.
I hate homework!

MamaKath
01-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Okay, I feel like I got a lousy education. My DS is in 1st grade and I need help to help him do his homework.

We are suppose to fold a piece of paper into three colums and have a Long Vowel Sound, a SHort Vowel sounds and other column.

Examples- long vowel sounds - like
short vowel sound - him
other - could

Here our the 10 words-

like, him, see, time, could, shell, this, when, chick, hatch

I am totally going to try to make him do this, but seriously I dont know how to explain it. Can you help me?

By the way, I will never go on Are you Smarter than a 5th grader. I already know I am getting my 2nd education.
I hate homework!
long vowel- like, see, time (all straight long i or e sounds)
short vowel- him, when, chick, hatch, this (all straight short i, e or a sounds)
other- could, shell (ou; e changed by the l- this one is more questionable as it can depend on the area of the country to how you combine sounds- I might put it in short vowels instead)

thomma
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Long vowels "say" their name...like, see, time.

Does he know the short vowel sounds? a-apple-a, e-eggs-e, i-igloo-i

www.starfall.com has audio clips of what short vowels sound like if that would help

Kim
ds&dd- 7 1/2!

mom2one
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Thank you so much MamaKath!

How am I going to make it through the next 11 years?

MamaKath
01-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much MamaKath!

How am I going to make it through the next 11 years?
Lol, anytime! Yeah, um I am working on that. I do okay through first grade. Most of the time. ;)

justlearning
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
If you want to learn more about phonics, Spalding is excellent IMO in how they teach phonograms.

Here's a website that lists the sounds of each phonogram (be sure to click on the two links at the bottom for the second and third sets of phonograms): http://homepage.mac.com/ashleya/villa/spaldingmp3.html

If you look those over, you will be able to come up with LOTS of "other" (basically all that aren't included in my description below).

The vowels are where we refer to short and long sounds. So with Spalding, they give the short sound first (e.g., "a" in cat) and then the long sound second (e.g., "a" as in cake).