PDA

View Full Version : Allergy Mamas: what to buy in Canada?

pakin
01-11-2011, 08:28 PM
We are going on a mini vacation in Canada soon. Since DD is allergic to peanuts and eggs, we are planning to stock up on Quaker granola bars and Smarties. Anyway is there any other snacks or yummy food that are allergy-friendly and widely available in Canada that I should know about?

Thanks!

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

EllasMum
01-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I think you will find that Canada has LOTS of peanut-free snacks. It is a pretty big thing here and the selection, even at corner stores, is wide. I'm not a peanut-allergy mama, but I'm sure some of them will chime in. :)

alien_host
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
I think KitKats might be safe.

bubbaray
01-12-2011, 01:26 AM
Some Smarties are peanut-free, not all -- you have to check the label. Mars bars are peanut free, as are KitKats and Coffee Crisps. Some Hersheys are also peanut free, though I've only seen those at Halloween. Twizzlers are peanut free. Basically, there are a LOT of candy items that are peanut free and labelled as such.

For granola bars, some (not all) Quaker varieties are peanut free. Most Dare snack bars are peanut free (Bear paws, bear paw minis, various cookies and crackers). http://www.darefoods.com/Art/GFY-Peanutfree-Identify.aspx

All of the above are widely available in grocery stores and other retailers.

Egg-free will be harder for you to find. For example, some of the Bear Paws are egg-free, others are not. IIRC, the Quaker bars are egg free.