PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to worry about 4 month old not being too physically active?

momm
01-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Not sure whether I should even be asking this question.

So he hasn't rolled over yet, which is fine, I think he has time to do that. But even when he's on his playmat he kicks and smacks things with his hands, but doesn't move a whole lot else.
i.e. no *trying* to roll, no movement sideways, etc.
My pedi said he would start moving in circles etc, there's no sign of that. If I place something just out of his reach he won't bother to reach for it.

What level of physical movement is ok and when should one be worried?

Am I worrying too much?

(Please be kind)

LMPC
01-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a kid that is on slower end of normal when it comes to physical activity. Did not crawl until 10 mos, walked at 16 months....still cannot jump. She never moved in circles. So I tend to take a wait and see attitude with her...she eventually seems to get it. I'm sure she'll jump at some point. She never seemed motivated to reach for things or do tummy time.

Personally, I would revisit this at the 6 mo check up and discuss any concerns you have with the ped. In the meantime, just keep up the good work...maybe do more tummy time to ease your mind ;) Oh I just remembered (funny how quickly we forget) -- DD loved mirrors at this age. She would go wild (as wild as she gets) when I got the mirror on the play mat out.

newg
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I think you're ok.
DD2 is 5 months old (on the 2nd). Today she just decided to try rolling onto her side, but never completely all the way. She's getting close though.
I think some kids are just more active than others. DD1 was not nearly as active as DD2 is. DD2 has been a kicker, and moving around in circles from the beginning and DD1 never seemed to do too much of that.

I'm trying to do a lot more tummy time right now, and have a variety of toys with lights and sounds around her (as those seem to motivate her the most right now)

maestramommy
01-12-2011, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't worry:hug: Laurel is my most active child by far, and she didn't roll over until she started crawling at 9 months. She just didn't wanna. But she.never.stopped.moving. The constant kicking, clapping, waving, it just went on and on.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-12-2011, 12:52 AM
i agree with pp, doesn't sound like anything to worry about. my ds was similar, would just stay on his playmat. i remember 4mos being such an easy age bc he just lied there on the mat or in the nap nanny and i could actually get stuff done. :) my son didn't roll over at all until closer to 5 mos. from then on, there was no stopping him. by 7mos he was crawling & pulling to stand and by 10mos he took his first steps...nowadays he is extremely active.. i have to chase him around the house :)...so yeah, def. doesn't sound like anything to worry about.

momm
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
thank you ladies..

I was almost afraid to open this thread this morning but also couldn't wait.

Thanks again.

AnnieW625
01-12-2011, 12:14 PM
I had the same question a couple of months ago, no I wouldn't worry. My DD2 who is 8 mos. old rolls over, but I have never seen her do it, and anytime I put her on her tummy because DH, and DCP provider say she wants to try and crawl she screams, hates it and wants to sit up. She didn't sit up well until just a few weeks ago. At the 6 mos. visit the pediatrician didn't seem overly concerned. I did enroll her in Gymboree which did seem to help her grab for things, help with the sitting up, and her tummy time (honestly you could probably get the same results at a city class, but the weekend city classes for us are during DD2's nap time).

KrisM
01-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't worry either. DS1 didn't roll until 9 months and he walked 2 week later and crawled a month after that. Kids don't read the books and do things when they feel like it :).

danagee
01-12-2011, 12:31 PM
DS was our first baby and he was not physical at all. I didn't realize how unusual he was until I went to baby playdates and then I became worried. On the other hand, I'll never forget the time another mom was shocked ds would sit still on my lap to look at books, even during playdates w/new toys in the room. All the other moms commented how their dc would grab and chew the book, etc.
DS never bothered trying to pull himself up. He waited to do anything physical until he was totally ready. He was amazing. the day he was ready to stand, he sat in the middle of the lr floor and pumped his arms until he stood.

Anyway, as it turns out ds was soaking it all in all those quiet, still months. He's sort of a genius who basically taught himself to read at 3 1/2 and became almost instantly a fluent reader. As soon as we gave him the idea of addition around age 4, he was off and running with math. Now at 6 1/2 he's FInALLY beginning to act like other boys at school, shooting hoops, acting like pro football players and catching a football and rolling to the ground, etc.
Took him quite some time to become physical and he still has problems opening this thermos, but we are thankful he's healthy.