PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Acura MDX?

LD92599
01-11-2011, 10:03 PM
And if so, which year? What do you like/not like?

We'd be using the 3rd row a few times per month when we transport my mom. Dh or ds would go back there.

wallawala
01-11-2011, 10:21 PM
I have the 2006, we bought new.

LOVE it. I like sitting up high so I can see better in traffic and bad weather. I took a winter driving course in it, and converted one of the other participants into buying one (was a subaru owner). I have never once worried about being stuck in deep snow, plowed through deep drifts without a hint of trouble.

Lots of power, reasonable space, reliable (I used to own a Jeep Grand Cheerokee) which I took get repaired more the first year than I have the entire time I've owned the MDX.

We rarely use the 3rd row, but have put two accomodating adults back there without problems.

Downside is not a ton of legroom for tall people. My DH is 6'5'' and he is not really comfortable driving it. Can, but doesn't enjoy it, prefers to ride.

billysmommy
01-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I have a 2005 and love it!!! Pretty much all the reasons above.

When I took it in for one of the scheduled maintenances they gave me a 2010 to drive and I didn't like it nearly as much. It was smaller and felt more cramped than the 2005. I bumped my head on the doorframe every time I went to buckle Ds2 in which doesn't happen in mine.

hillview
01-12-2011, 09:01 AM
I had one in 2005 for a 3 year lease. We needed the third row a few times a month and the car seats made it pretty much impossible for an adult to easily get back there.

I did love the car and if we had 1 child OR if we didn't need the 3rd row very often, it would have been great.
/hillary

alirebco
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I have a 2008 and love it. I keep telling DH that I never want another car, ever.

We have used the 3rd row but we only have DS in the center so it's easy. Not sure how we'll manage it with 2 kids though.

momof2girls
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
We now have a 2010 after having a 2004 for many yrs. I LOVED my 2004 so much that when it was time for a new car we didn't even bother looking at other SUVs and just went and got a 2010. Let me know if you have and ques.

AnnieW625
01-12-2011, 01:42 PM
I have the less cushy little cousin the Honda Pilot EX-L, and I agree with what everyone has said the car is amazing (my car can do the same, it's just not as cushy); it's come along way since Acura's first SUV, the Izusu Trooper clone Acura SLX (http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1998/Acura/SLX). If I had been able to find one in my price range used when we were looking a 2004 or 2005 would've been my top choice. I have a friend with a 2010 who loves hers.

Twin Mom
01-12-2011, 01:58 PM
My brother and a good friend both have one and they are very happy. My brother is getting another one since the lease on his current MDX is up. I have an Acura TL and hope to get an MDX to replace it since my car is old and I feel like I need a 3rd row.

What was surprising to me (not just about the MDX) was how expensive new cars are these days. I haven't bought a new car in 7+ years and wow have prices gone up.

tny915
01-12-2011, 02:18 PM
DH has a 2005 and loves it. Reliable, comfortable, lots of cargo room, and the 3rd row. The 3rd row has come in handy for carpooling or for trips with the grandparents. I can fit in the 3rd row, but I'm barely 5'2". Most adults wouldn't be too comfortable back there for long stretches.

When it needs replacing, we know we're going to get another MDX. We're huge Acura fans. I have an RDX, and we had a TL prior to the MDX.

danagee
01-12-2011, 06:03 PM
We have an '02 and it now has over 100k miles! The mechanic at the dealer told me he's seen several over 100k and even over 200k miles. We are hoping to drive it until it dies. At the rate it's been going, we feel like it's got tons more life left. It still rides really smoothly and even more comfy and more of a luxury vehicle than my 04 Volvo XC90.
We rarely use the 3rd row but it is so nice to have. Seems like a tight squeeze, but kids can do it.
I had to buy on eBay a netting to put in the back of it to hold the groceries after a watermelon rolled on out and onto the driveway!
It's been our ol' faithful, highly recommend Acura.

BillK
01-12-2011, 06:49 PM
My dad had a 2001, 2004 and 2007 MDX before he got his Lexus. He loved the MDX but at the time felt it was too high to get my mom in and out of so he got the 2009 Lexus LS460.

While he loves his Lexus he very frequently says he REALLY misses his MDX and wished he'd have kept it in addition to the Lexus (which is rear wheel drive and sucks in the ice and snow). He ended up buying a Chevy Avalanche for the winter (after his first winter with just the Lexus) but really regrets getting rid of the MDX. Now he can't bring himself to fork out the dough for another one.

edit: I LOVED his MDX's as well - great vehicle. Before his Lexus he always had Acura's - all the way back to the original 1986(?) Legend and they are great vehicles. My favorite was his '96 Legend (I think that was the year) - that thing kicked ass.

smilequeen
01-12-2011, 08:54 PM
We've had 2. I had the first one that came out for about 3 years and really liked it. It was prekids and for about the first year of having DS1. DH now has an 09 and he loves it. I love driving it, but I'm not a huge fan of driving it day to day with 2 kids. That's probably b/c I got used to more spacious cars (had an MB R500 and now a Toyota Sienna). I just can't compromise that space. The MDX feels crowded to me now and there is no cargo space if you need the 3rd row. But I do love driving it and if I didn't know any different I'd probably be willing to drive it with 2. I still haven't figured out if we're even going to try to get 3 carseats in there yet...

JanBaby
01-12-2011, 10:33 PM
I bought the 2006 used about two years ago because we needed more room for DD than my Jeep Cherokee. I loved my Cherokee but REALLY REALLY love the MDX. They changed the suspension between 2006 and 2007 so the 2007 and after vehicles have a tighter feel when you are driving. We can fit four adults and a Britax Blvd pretty comfortably and have driven with six adults and the carseat a little less comfortably (but doable).

kwc
01-13-2011, 03:24 AM
My coworker has a 2010 MDX and loves it... bought it to replace her 2006 MDX. I was going to look at it until she told me she gets 16-18mpg (she lives near me so we'd have the same type of mixed driving). Motherproof.com was concerned about its ability to fit infant and convertible seats but my coworker hasn't mentioned anything (her DD is in a FF Marathon, I think in the middle? but both parents are quite short).
http://www.motherproof.com/news-rants/story/2010-acura-mdx-car-seat-check/

resipsaloquitur
01-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Before his Lexus he always had Acura's - all the way back to the original 1986(?) Legend and they are great vehicles. My favorite was his '96 Legend (I think that was the year) - that thing kicked ass.

I had an 86 Legend. I got 250,000 miles on it with very little going wrong. I would have kept driving it but I moved cross country.

I'm also looking at the Acura MDX. I have a comparable (to the MDX) size BMW and I have had more problems in the 80k miles I"ve had it than 250k miles with the Acura.