PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for relaxing, beach vacation btwn MI and MD....

boogiemom
01-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for a nice area for my family + my BIL/SIL/nephew (age 1.5yr-ish this summer) to meet and vacation for a week or so? Ideally we'd like to find a nice, clean lake and rent a house for the week. DH and I LOVE Traverse City but the bay is pretty cold even in August and I think would be too cold for SIL and nephew. So, we are looking for somewhere between us where the water may be warmer. We do not want to go too far south as we don't like hot weather. Ideally, temps in upper 70's-low 80's but with warmish water. Is this even possible? My family really appreciates any insights/suggestions you are willing to share. We haven't seen each other in a year and are really excited that we may be able to take a joint vacation this summer.

Thanks!!!

geochick
01-12-2011, 07:36 PM
I've never done a "beach" vacation anywhere between MI and MD, but I'd imagine if you want warm water, it wouldn't hurt to look closer to the equator. So, I did a tripadvisor search for Maryland Beach VAcation Family (Maryland is the state furthest south on your list). Anyway, a bunch of coastal choices popped up. Here's one:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28941-i100-k3689052-Family_vacation_suggestions_needed-Maryland.html

If yo don't like HOT weather, don't go in the middle of the summer. Spring and Fall might be best.

Use the search feature in tripadvisor's forums for each state. You'll get lots of hits. You could even put LAKE FAMILY BEACH in the search box if you're set on a lake vacation.

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 08:45 PM
We go to Traverse City almost every summer. We head over to the beaches along the lake, not on the bay (Good Harbor is a favorite). It's been warm enough.

In MD. there is Deep Creek. It's a good little resort area with nice state park things like hiking + programs as well as a beach and min golf type stuff. Some rentals have private or community swimming pools. Many have hot tubs. :)

Beth

weech
01-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Also recommend Deep Creek. It's really nice in the summer, the lake is gorgeous, tons of fun.

There are some other places I've been to, but they aren't exactly in between. Some really nice spots in West Virginia (further south than MD) and tons of great spots in NY (but too far NE). Trying to plan a week in Lake Placid, NY for my family/ILs this summer!

m4nash
01-13-2011, 01:52 PM
We meet up with family in Lakeside, OH in the summer. They have lots of activities for all ages. It is a religious (Christian) community, but not over the top. www.lakesideohio.com