PDA

View Full Version : When to see an orthodontist?

KrisM
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
DS1 lost his 9th tooth tonight. He has 4 adult teeth in completely. He has 2 more partly in and boy are they crooked. The ones coming in have been out for nearly a year because they got pushed out by the others coming in. I'm sure today's loss was a result of another coming in too.

Anyhow, he sees the dentist in a month and I'll ask her, but I'm wondering if an orthodontist would do anything now to prevent or diminish future issues or work. He clearly doesn't have room for what's coming in now.

He's 6.5.

LMPC
01-11-2011, 10:41 PM
When we saw the ped dentist in December, he said that DD had a narrow pallet probably both from genetics and her fascination with her pacifier. He mentioned that at 5 or 6 she could be evaluated for things that would help correct that and make room for the new teeth.

JBaxter
01-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Really depends on what he needs. You can take him for an eval anytime. The ortho will follow him over time or until he needs to start treatment. Some phases are done early to save time in the actual brackets and bands.

Momof3Labs
01-11-2011, 10:47 PM
About 7yo for DS1, who also had a lot of crowding (and adult teeth that didn't have room to erupt). He now has a palate expander and one of the teeth came in, but another has not so we had to do another batch of cranks on the expander and wait to see what happens.

smilequeen
01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Right now orthodontists prefer to see kids for an evaluation at about 7. It's even more important at that age if orthodontic issues are already obvious. Some kids will have 2 phases of ortho...one early and one at the standard time (preteen/teen). Others can wait. I'm definitely having my oldest evaluated early. He hasn't lost a tooth yet, but he's definitely going to have issues. He has his dad's teeth for sure...

KrisM
01-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Sounds like I should start looking around for an orthodontist!

He definitely has his dad's teeth. Mine are nice and straight and I never had braces. DD will need help, too. Her baby teeth have no spaces in between at all. DS2's look a little better.

Raidra
01-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh dear. Colwyn (7) has wicked crooked teeth, especially noticeable with the permanent teeth coming in. Didn't realize it would be so soon, guess I better brace (ha!) myself for his next dentist appointment..

Asianmommy
01-12-2011, 05:50 PM
I think it depends on the issue. DD2 has a crossbite & was referred to the orthodontist at age 4. He wanted to wait and follow her for a year or so, then would recommend a palate expander. This condition is supposed to be treated early to prevent worsening problems down the line.

HIU8
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
I have not read all the responses.

DS is in the process of loosing teeth #5 and #6. He has 2 adult teeth in fully. They are both VERY crooked. I asked the dentist the last time about this. She said that we first have to wait and see what happens as other adult teeth come in. The could straighten out some as his mouth gets more adult teeth. She did tell me that DS will most likely start seeing an orthodontist around age 7 (he is 6) b/c he needs to have his jaw widened (he is/was a mouth breather and a paci lover).

kristac
01-21-2011, 06:36 PM
DS1's dentist said today that he will likely need orthodontic work at 7/8 when his upper teeth start coming in. (he is 6) His adult eye teeth look like they will come in compleatly sideways from the xrays with no room to turn :(
He is having 2 extractions on the bottom because his adult teeth are coming in behind the baby teeth. The dentist said they like to start early because then the bones are more maluable and the teeth are more likely to stay in the corrected postitions.

Does dental insurance cover orthodontics?

indigo99
01-21-2011, 06:53 PM
My adult eye teeth are completely backward. The cleaning ladies always find that interesting and like to tell me as if I wouldn't already know. I also had four permanent teeth pulled when I got braces, and there is STILL crowding.

DS's baby teeth are coming in really crooked so I hope that doesn't mean that he got my teeth/mouth.

willow33
01-21-2011, 06:57 PM
DS1 turns 8 next month and is going for an ortho eval next month. He has a horrible over-bite and a large space between his front teeth. He is still losing baby teeth.