PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed down my choices for a single! help me out?

AJP
01-12-2011, 07:01 AM
I am going to be buying some time in late spring. I've narrowed down my options to Bumbleride Indie, MB Swift, Vista. Which would you choose?
I haven't been able to play with all of them irl, but have played with indie and vista back when I was not pg and not looking to buy.
It doesn't really matter if the stroller takes my chicco car seat.
I need a comfy ride and something that will handle bumpy cobblestone sidewalks, grass, maybe sand etc.
Mostly an indoor stroller (suburbia land)and occasional bumpy ride with lots of sidewalk walks.
I'd like to have the option of my child fitting till around 3yo.
I may want to travel with the stroller in the future, but can always take an umbrella.
I have an suv so while I have space, I don't want something too huge or heavy.
Do all 3 of these qualify for my needs? Which would you choose? I have to sell a double and decide if the BJCM or the Valco go. I already have a silver cross fizz so I'm set for an umbrella. Thanks everyone!!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I kept on reading your list of stroller requirements thinking, "Is this for her or a friend? Why does she need a single? What's going on?" Then I looked in the history...CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Ok, now off to reread and suggest a stroller...although I'm more versed in doubles right now that singles...

crl
01-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Well, the Vista is the only one that reverses so if that is important to you, that's the one. I love my Swift but I've never tried the others so I'm not much help on a comparison.

Good luck choosing!
Catherine

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 11:33 AM
If you want reversible, go vista. I have been loving my new Bee and I didn't get it until my baby was 18 months old. I love having her face me and I think she likes it too.

If you are willing to entertain new contenders. I am on a mutsy kick and think the Mutsy 4Rider Next would be fun. Seat is reversible and has a full recline so you can skip the bassinet if you like. The next features a leather handle which is always nice (just ask the al owners) and comes in 9 colors. The width is only .3 inches wider then the vista but you get the beefy tires of a mutsy. Worth considering IMHO.

If you want to go with an AT. Choose the swift if you want a longer, flat fold and a rugged, sturdy push. Choose the indie if you want a good push coupled with features like an adjustable footrest and colorful fabrics.

edurnemk
01-12-2011, 11:51 AM
If the reversible feature is important to you, go with the Vista (I LOVE mine and still sometimes use it parent facing with DS), plus it comes with the bassinet, with the other 2 you have to buy it separately if you want it. I've used my Vista in snow, ice, grass, bumpy sidewalks, etc. It handles vey well, although it's not a true AT, but for me it's a fabulous all-around stroller. I don't know if it would do well on sand though, like at the beach I mean.

I have to say I've always wanted to try an Indie, and after seeing a Swift in person I'm lusting for that one, too! They both look more narrow and compact than the Vista, although I think there's not that much difference.

ETA: I have traveled with the Vista, but I'm always nervous about it being damaged, so on most trips I take an umbrella. I think all 3 do cover all your requirements.

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 12:00 PM
I have to say I've always wanted to try an Indie, and after seeing a Swift in person I'm lusting for that one, too! They both look more narrow and compact than the Vista, although I think there's not that much difference.

There is not a huge difference since we aren't talking about fitting through doors or anything but the vista is 24.5, the swift is 24 and the indie is 24.5 (got the indie numbers from strollerqueen's review, the vista from edurnemk and the swift from crl).

edurnemk
01-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Deleted

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Sure. I trust you. I just did a quick google for the vista so I wouldn't be surprised if I found an old number first.

crl
01-12-2011, 12:51 PM
There is not a huge difference since we aren't talking about fitting through doors or anything but the vista is 24.5, the swift is 25 and the indie is 24.5 (got the swift and indie numbers from strollerqueen's reviews).

Is that the 2009 Swift width? Because they shaved an inch off for the 2010s. What are the weight comparisons? I think the Swift is 21 or 22 pounds, isn't it? My Swift does have an absolutely fabulous push. But the seaglass indie is the prettiest color.

Catherine

Beth24
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I chose a Vista under the same criteria as you -- mostly for sidewalk, neighborhood walks--occasional rougher use. I take it the car for longer outings, but have an Si I use in the car 90% of the time. It is on the heavy side (frame itself if 18 pounds), but easy enough to load and unload out of the car, especially if you remove the seat before folding (I find that easier, esp. when the stroller is rear facing). I have used the Vista on dirt, snow and grass and it works fine (not as great as an AT, but good enough for my needs). I got so much use out of the bassinet both on the stroller and in the house as another place for my newborn to sleep. I think it is as close as you can get to a perfect all around stroller for the suburban life style you describe.

As for width, I haven't had a problem in most stores/restaurants, but it does take some getting used to! But if you have a BJCM you are probably already used to pushing a wider stroller.

Also, it does take a Chicco car seat adapter. Good luck with your choice and congratulations!

AJP
01-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I am used to doubles, so I'm no stranger to width or weight. My biggest problem right now is getting to a store that carries all 3 so I can compare them side by side. From push to fold. I have looked into mutsy and even gave the info to a friend shopping fro a stroller for europe, but have never seen one IRL so I'll have to check it out. I'm not that particular about reversible seat but it is a nice option with the vista. I've read all good things about my contenders from all of you and admired them back when I was shopping for doubles. I hope I don't change my mind when I finally get out to check them out.

edurnemk
01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
I have looked into mutsy and even gave the info to a friend shopping fro a stroller for europe, but have never seen one IRL so I'll have to check it out.

I looked at a couple of Mutsys, on paper they seemed fabulous (I was in love with the Slider), but IRL I found them heavy (the lightest one is 29 lb) and the push was not as good as on the Cam or the Vista, or even the Targo (this one I checked off my list because the fold is very bulky). I tested them all side by side at Galt Baby, with 8 month old DS and a heavy diaper bag on them to compare under "real" conditions. In your case, you're used to heavier strollers (doubles) but I had decided my limit was 24 lb.

roseyloxs
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I looked at a couple of Mutsys, on paper they seemed fabulous (I was in love with the Slider), but IRL I found them heavy (the lightest one is 29 lb) and the push was not as good as on the Cam or the Vista, or even the Targo (this one I checked off my list because the fold is very bulky). I tested them all side by side at Galt Baby, with 8 month old DS and a heavy diaper bag on them to compare under "real" conditions. In your case, you're used to heavier strollers (doubles) but I had decided my limit was 24 lb.

interesting. I don't know what my fascination has been with them lately. I only have seen one IRL once and it was at the Macy's in woodfield mall. It was left unattended so I could not bother the owner to let me push it. So I just kept walking around the racks near it trying to figure out what it was. My husband thought I was crazy.

To the OP. I love the indie. Its cute, fun, and practical.

ckelly
01-12-2011, 03:09 PM
I haven't tried any others but I LOVE my indie. It's been all over with us. We have a sedan and I never had any problems fitting it and luggage in the car. The fold is definatly compact. It's been to the beach,the farm, the mall, pretty much everywhere. Sadly i'll be selling it soon as we'll be in need of a double in may :(. It has really been a great stroller and though its been used the condition is still fabulous.

edurnemk
01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
So I just kept walking around the racks near it trying to figure out what it was. My husband thought I was crazy.

:hysterical: This is totally me! I'm a stroller stalker! :hysterical:

jacksmoma
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
OP- don't you need something that will fit all three? i see your first two are still pretty young. i know my 3 year old still needs to be contained often!

AJP
01-12-2011, 09:36 PM
OP- don't you need something that will fit all three? i see your first two are still pretty young. i know my 3 year old still needs to be contained often!

We're keeping one of the doubles and will add a ride on board (like hitch hiker). I plan on wearing baby a LOT in the beginning when I have all 3 out since I still NEED(!!!) to contain my twins still too. I will have lots of time alone with baby when my girls start preschool in the fall so will be needing that single too!

nmstrong
01-13-2011, 12:17 AM
Is that the 2009 Swift width? Because they shaved an inch off for the 2010s. What are the weight comparisons? I think the Swift is 21 or 22 pounds, isn't it? My Swift does have an absolutely fabulous push. But the seaglass indie is the prettiest color.

Catherine

Here r actual measurements from strollerqueen on the swift (pre 2010 version)

http://strollerqueen.wordpress.com/mountain-buggy-urban-and-swift-review/
The weight is the same on the newer models.

AJP
01-25-2011, 08:22 PM
Ok, one more thing...is $469 the best price for the indie out there?

poohbear
01-25-2011, 09:32 PM
If you want the vita (pink I believe) - babyboutiqueoutlet.com has it for $339 shipped.
They also have the red, but that doesn't specify if it's a 2009 or 2010 (and there were some changes), so you'd have to call and check...

AJP
01-26-2011, 07:49 AM
We find out if we're having a girl or boy in a few weeks...if its a girl I'd jump all over that pink one for the price alone. I was sold on spice for a color but we'll see! Thanks for that link Pooh...never heard of that site. I bookmarked for later.

roseyloxs
01-26-2011, 12:47 PM
We find out if we're having a girl or boy in a few weeks...if its a girl I'd jump all over that pink one for the price alone. I was sold on spice for a color but we'll see! Thanks for that link Pooh...never heard of that site. I bookmarked for later.

I think spice is being discontinued so you may be able to find that one on sale actually. I will pm you the cheapest deal I found and its from an authorized dealer too.

strollerqueen
01-26-2011, 01:56 PM
There is not a huge difference since we aren't talking about fitting through doors or anything but the vista is 24.5, the swift is 24 and the indie is 24.5 (got the indie numbers from strollerqueen's review, the vista from edurnemk and the swift from crl).

I actually have all those reviewed. So you know that I am measuring them all the same. Except that the new Swifts are a little more narrower than the NZ made ones, because the little center thingies in the wheels don't stick out any more.

strollerqueen
01-26-2011, 01:59 PM
If you really want a narrow reversible, (sorry if I didn't read closely enough, still running back and forth to the sick toddler), then check out Teutonias. I think they are the narrowest, other than the Bug bee.

strollerqueen
01-26-2011, 02:06 PM
If you really want a narrow reversible, (sorry if I didn't read closely enough, still running back and forth to the sick toddler), then check out Teutonias. I think they are the narrowest, other than the Bug bee.
yeah, I just checked my review, and the T-100 is 21.5".

AJP
01-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all your expertise ;) A reversible may have been a good feature to have, but not necessary. I caved and ordered the Indie in spice. It was a great deal and I decided not to wait. I hope I LOVE it!!!

roseyloxs
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
With the money you saved you can invest in the carrycot and have a "reversible" option for the early months. It includes the stroller's footmuff so its a pretty good investment. grow-kids has a 2010 for $99 (http://www.grow-kids.com/product.asp?name=carrycot-2010---spice-orange&pfid=GRO00999)

http://www.grow-kids.com/assets/images/GRO00999.jpg