PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Cookies - if you could only buy one box...

alien_host
01-12-2011, 12:11 PM
what would you buy? Since DD is selling cookies and I've been tallying the troops orders, I have a pretty good sense of what is the biggest seller/most popular. On Million Dollar Money Drop last night they also had a question on the biggest seller.

So if you could only buy one box, what would it be?

Okay there are two bakeries that make the cookies so there are some varieties that don't cross over to each other, see here for varieties.

Little Brownie Bakers:
http://www.littlebrownie.com/cookies/index.html

ABC Bakers:
http://www.abcsmartcookies.com/cookies.asp

Twoboos
01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
I think the biggest seller is Thin Mints - we have people buying them by the case!

But for me, I would get the Caramel DeLites aka Samoas.

(I will vote when the poll is up, too! :))

scrooks
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I love both Samoas and Tagalongs but Tagalongs win for me by a hair.

AnnieW625
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Weight Watchers thinking: one box of Thin Mints, put them in the freezer; eat two a day with a cup of RF milk, appx. 4 points (old points)

Who cares, calories don't count: a box of the Tagalongs (peanut butter covered w/chocolate)

egoldber
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
My personal fav is the Tagalongs.

But I know that Thin Mints and Samoas are the best sellers by far.

alien_host
01-12-2011, 12:17 PM
I think the biggest seller is Thin Mints - we have people buying them by the case!

But for me, I would get the Caramel DeLites aka Samoas.

(I will vote when the poll is up, too! :))

Thin Mint is also our biggest seller but like you, I'd choose Carmel DeLites. :)

I used to love Thin Mints, but in the past few years, not as much....they seem so dry.

crayonblue
01-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Samoas. And I don't even like coconut. And thanks to this board I have discovered the Keebler ones. I would rather buy from the Girl Scouts but when they aren't selling I have to be tempted by the ones in the grocery store!

veronica
01-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Samoas for me- I named my dog after them!!!!!!!!!!!

Thin Mints for DH.

alien_host
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Samoas. And I don't even like coconut. And thanks to this board I have discovered the Keebler ones. I would rather buy from the Girl Scouts but when they aren't selling I have to be tempted by the ones in the grocery store!

Wait a second, Keebler has a Samoa knockoff? I DID NOT need to be made aware of this! ;)

amldaley
01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Thin Mint is also our biggest seller but like you, I'd choose Carmel DeLites. :)

I used to love Thin Mints, but in the past few years, not as much....they seem so dry.

I was just saying to a friend who DD is selling that I thought the thin mints had changed...the chocolate seems even waxier than they used to and they no longer have the snap/crunch they used to. That said, they are still my favorite by a long shot! (Then again, I don't like many cookies other than chocolate chip and ginger snaps to begin with).

TwoBees
01-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Samoas, hands-down.

crayonblue
01-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Wait a second, Keebler has a Samoa knockoff? I DID NOT need to be made aware of this! ;)

Oh yes. And they are good. I have a box in the pantry. But, I'm still buying from the Girl Scouts!

fauve01
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Peanut Butter Patties / Tagalongs! by a MILE! YUMMMMMMM!

zag95
01-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Def Samoas, with the Thin Mints (frozen) as a very close second!:bighand:

BabyH
01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I was a thin mint and samoa gal for a LONG time... until last year I bought a box of the Thank You Berry Munch... (is that right?) They are delicious. Even DH attacked the box. There was an unopened box of Thin Mints in the pantry for a while because of those thank you's.......

alien_host
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
I was a thin mint and samoa gal for a LONG time... until last year I bought a box of the Thank You Berry Munch... (is that right?) They are delicious. Even DH attacked the box. There was an unopened box of Thin Mints in the pantry for a while because of those thank you's.......

You are right, it is berry, we don't sell this kind and I typed quickly and put "very" instead...it does look yummy and it has cranberries and white chocolate.

Swallowbird23
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Definitely Samoas. I work at a girl scout camp as the camp nurse over the summers so we eat LOTS of cookies and those are one of the only cookies I don't get sick of (I love Thin Mints and Lemon Chalet Cremes too but store bought ones are just as good in my opinion)

lcarlson90
01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I always loved Samoa's but when I bought them last year for some reason they seemed too sweet for me.

Corie
01-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I was just saying to a friend who DD is selling that I thought the thin mints had changed...the chocolate seems even waxier than they used to and they no longer have the snap/crunch they used to.

I have had several people tell me that the Thin Mints from Little Brownie Bakers are much better than the Thin Mints from ABC Smart Cookies.

I'll be curious to see if I can taste a difference. DD has sold ABC Smart cookies for the past 3 years. This year, in Ohio, her council is using Little Brownie Bakers.

Twoboos
01-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Samoas. And thanks to this board I have discovered the Keebler ones.

:yeahthat: Seriously, I am ignoring this information.

egoldber
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
A few years ago they re-formulated many of the cookies to remove trans fats. Many people think they no longer taste the same.

boolady
01-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Tagalongs, followed closely by Samoas.

justbreathe11
01-12-2011, 01:41 PM
samoas!

elizabethkott
01-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Thin Mints!
And I am eagerly awaiting the discovery of the Edy's special edition Thin Mint double churned ice cream! That stuff is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

maybeebaby08
01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I love Tagalongs, then Thin Mints.

wendibird22
01-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Thin Mints all the way! And best yet, DH hates Thin Mints (doesn't like the combo of choc and peppermint in anything) so I get them all to myself. I usually buy 2 boxes, keep them in the fridge, and I can make them last until the next year's sale. Seriously...I can ration them out. Not sure why cause I can't do this with any other yummy goody.

dukie41181
01-12-2011, 02:08 PM
How to choose between Thin Mints and Samoas?! I'd take my husband with me and we'd both get one (although then hed want the Tagalongs)!

vonfirmath
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM

I used to love Thin Mints. But now I can get my "fix" using Nestle Grasshoppers so I've moved on. I don't know any other cookies like Samoas...

But if I could only get one box, I'd get Do-Si-dos. And eat them with milk!

OTOH I have not bought any cookies in many years so who knows if I'd still like them

s7714
01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
My favorite used to the be Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties, but they haven't tasted as good the past couple years. So Thin Mints it is. ;)

Ceepa
01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
My favorite is the Trefoil. Really.

Clarity
01-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Samoas. I :heartbeat: them.

m448
01-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I used to buy caramel delites. Although girl scouts needs to get with the program and go beyond selling hard little boxed cookies into the more premium variety (some soft baked variety, etc.)

egoldber
01-12-2011, 02:51 PM
My favorite is the Trefoil. Really.

The Trefoil is DD's fav and is my second fav. :) I love them with coffee.

rlu
01-12-2011, 02:52 PM
I put down the peanut butter sandwich ones as my favorites (followed by trefoils) but unless I know the scout personally, I buy Nutter Butters or Lorna Doone instead - more for the money. I rather just give the girl scout a fiver and call it than buy expensive cookies that don't give the scout the entire profit. Same with the popcorn my son sold for BSA - I had people ask if they could just donate money instead of buying overpriced goods.

Goes back to Katie's comment in the PSA thread, just ask for money instead of "fun"raisers. Our school went to a direct donation program last year (instead of selling wrapping paper, etc.) and was much more successful.

egoldber
01-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Yup. Our troop opted out this year mainly because last year we got stuck with hundreds of dollars worth of cookies that we didn't sell at booth sales. We ended up having to beg parents of the girls in the troop to buy more cookies that they didn't really need or want. This year we just asked each family for an additional $30 at the start of the year. Soooo much easier and we don't waste 3 meetings on cookie stuff. Not worth it for 60 cents a box.

DrSally
01-12-2011, 06:38 PM
I would say Lemonades with Samoas and thin mints as runner ups.

DrSally
01-12-2011, 06:39 PM

Yes. They're good, but not as good. They can be had for 1.99 a box on sale though. I have yet to try the samoa knock offs b/c they have a may contains statement.

Fairy
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I'm the only one alive. I don't like girl scout cookies. Especially thin mints. People look at me like I'm nuts. I can tolerate a shortbread or two. That's about it.

DrSally
01-12-2011, 06:41 PM
I always loved Samoa's but when I bought them last year for some reason they seemed too sweet for me.

YEs, same for me. I used to be a Samoa addict, but now they seem like pure sugar. You can even kind of taste the graininess of the sugar in them. My new fav is the lemonades. They're a shortbread cookie with a refreshing lemon icing.

lchang25000
01-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Samoas, hands-down.

:yeahthat:

gatorsmom
01-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Thin mints, hands down. I can pop them in my mouth with lightning speed. Which comes in really handy when I don't want to share them with anyone else.

StantonHyde
01-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Seriously?? That is like asking which one of your children you like best ;) I simply cannot choose. I could write an ode to several of them--how do I love thee, let me count the ways?? This is why I do everything I can not to have the dang things in my house!!!!

srhs
01-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Samoas. And if it were not for this board, I would have no clue on the various bakers. I just thought they changed the name to Carmel Delites to be PC.
They are delicious, but here is my gripe... What is with the DeLite? Why misspell? They certainly are not Lite.

This gripe does not affect my intake, but I think I might enjoy them even more without this strange spelling choice. I'm just sayin'.

BabyMine
01-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Frozen thin mints. Great. Now I want some and they aren't even selling them here yet.