PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

cuca_
01-12-2011, 02:11 PM
DD1's school is having some sort of contest where kids bring pictures of their pets on a specific day. There will be prices for the best picture in different categories. We do not have any pets despite DD1s pleas to get one. She really wants a pet - specifically a cat or a dog, and whenever we get into a conversation about it she ends up in tears. While I think pets are great and plan to get one in the future, I have too much on my plate right now with four kids and refuse to get one at this point. Anyhow, DD1's school is tiny and this is a school wide event. I am very tempted to keep DD at home that day. I know she will be incredibly upset when she sees all the pictures and I feel bad for her. Honestly, I love her school, but I am very annoyed by the fact that they are having this event. Do you think I am being over protective? BTW, DD has ADHD and LDs and she sometimes has a hard time controlling her emotions -- she will not throw a tantrum, but she will be very sad and will cry and will have a hard time getting over it. Any advice how to handle this?

lhafer
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I think I would keep her home too - especially since this is obviously a touchy subject for her. I think it's presumptuous of the school to think that all people have pets, furry or not.

Hugs to you!:hug:

sste
01-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Can you take the day off and do a special mom and daughter outing with her? And tell her that you can be gone all day because you don't need to worrry about walking the dog (wink).!

Is this an inexperienced teacher? There are MANY kids who beg for a pet, esp. a dog, and MANY families who cannot take on responsibilities of jobs, kids, and then a pet to boot. I can't believe the teacher couldn't see this coming . . .

kedss
01-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Can you find out if she can bring a photo of a stuffed animal pet? Maybe she won't be the only one in the same situation?

BabyMine
01-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Can she draw a picture of the pet she would like someday? What about taking her to the zoo and taking a picture of one of the animals. She can say the zoo it taking care of it and she can visit anytime she wants.

cuca_
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the responses. It is not one teacher -- it is a school-wide event, which sort of surprises me. I want to say something to the principal or to DDs teachers, but I'm not sure if I'm going to sound like a grinch. Unfortunately the drawings or zoo stories are not going to cut it for DD. We've tried similar things with my parents' pets and she does not really buy it. She wants her own pet that lives with her, and this event is just going to reopen a very emotional subject. Also, I am being a bit selfish -- I really don't want to deal with it. I know that this is only going to lead to yet another teary conversation about why she can't have a pet and how unfair it is. Honestly, I would get her a pet in a second if it weren't for the fact that I have 4 young kids and very little time. I love animals, but I just know I could not be a good caretaker for a pet right now.

hillview
01-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Does a neighbor or friend have a pet she likes and could take a picture with? Depending on the level of severity I'd try to send her with a lot of pep talk but if it was going to be a disaster I'd keep her at home. I could see this sort of situation with DS1.
/hillary

s7714
01-12-2011, 02:36 PM
I'd start by asking the teacher if he/she has any ideas. I'd venture to guess if they've done it more than once, at some point there's been a couple kids who also don't have pets. That said, given your DDs sensitivity to the subject, I'd probably keep her out of school that day and try to do something special.

jk3
01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Not every family has a pet so I'm not sure how this is an appropriate activity. Can you get a fish? :)

♥ms.pacman♥
01-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Can you take the day off and do a special mom and daughter outing with her? And tell her that you can be gone all day because you don't need to worrry about walking the dog (wink).!

Is this an inexperienced teacher? There are MANY kids who beg for a pet, esp. a dog, and MANY families who cannot take on responsibilities of jobs, kids, and then a pet to boot. I can't believe the teacher couldn't see this coming . . .

my thoughts exactly. i can't believe the teachers didn't see this coming. i agree, kids wanting a pet but not having one is a very touchy subject for many families. lots of kids really want the fun of having a pet but have absolutely no idea how much work is involved. i can totally see how your dd would get upset seeing all the other kids at school show off their pets. as PP said, i'd take the day off and do something special with her.

ett
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
PPs have given you good advice so I won't repeat them. I do find it very surprising that they would organize a school wide event like this since not everyone has a pet. I think it is very appropriate to ask the teacher or principal how kids without pets can participate.

cuca_
01-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Does a neighbor or friend have a pet she likes and could take a picture with? Depending on the level of severity I'd try to send her with a lot of pep talk but if it was going to be a disaster I'd keep her at home. I could see this sort of situation with DS1.
/hillary

I think we posted at the same time. Unfortunately, someone else's pet will not solve the situation. I'm thinking about the pep talk, but I am dreading the whole conversation because knowing DD we will have to have the pet conversation twice (pep talk and after the event).

I'd start by asking the teacher if he/she has any ideas. I'd venture to guess if they've done it more than once, at some point there's been a couple kids who also don't have pets. That said, given your DDs sensitivity to the subject, I'd probably keep her out of school that day and try to do something special.

I am going to talk to the teacher. They have never done it before. A kid came up with the idea recently, so it is a new event. I'm leaning toward keeping her home, but I generally don't like her to miss school.

Not every family has a pet so I'm not sure how this is an appropriate activity. Can you get a fish? :)

Hi Jenn, good to "see" you! Unfortunately we've tried the fish thing before, and they did not last very long.

my thoughts exactly. i can't believe the teachers didn't see this coming. i agree, kids wanting a pet but not having one is a very touchy subject for many families. lots of kids really want the fun of having a pet but have absolutely no idea how much work is involved. i can totally see how your dd would get upset seeing all the other kids at school show off their pets. as PP said, i'd take the day off and do something special with her.

Thanks. As I said, I will talk to her teacher about it, but probably will end up taking her out for the day.

cuca_
01-12-2011, 05:17 PM
I do find it very surprising that they would organize a school wide event like this since not everyone has a pet.

I do to. It is a great school, but I think sometimes they don't think everything through.