PDA

View Full Version : Car seat/booster question-how to fix my mistake?

lovebebes
01-12-2011, 03:22 PM
could you please help me "fix" something that I did that I now know was not such a great idea?

I put my DD (about to turn 4) into this booster seat:

http://www.amazon.com/Cybex-Solution-Booster-Seat-Cinnamon/dp/B003BCP2JS

Immediately after I did that I learned about ERF etc. (DD does fit into the booster by weight/height specifics-she is very tall for her age). She is also very mature for her age and is very good at following instructions as far as being safe while buckled in etc.

Regardless- I realized later on that putting her in a booster was stupid and uncessary, and I was very sad that Id done it (all due to lack of information, stupid me-im always so good at researching everything, why did I space out this time? Pregnant brain maybe...)

So anyway, with that great deal with strollers.com I just ordered a Britax Frontier after having Diapers pricematch it. DD rides in two cars: ours-a Honda Pilot, and my dad's- an older Audi with no latch. I trust our car and my DH as a driver. I cannot say the same thing about my father due to the fact that he spent many many years not driving at all and just started driving less than a year ago when he moved here to the US. DD does not ride with my dad often, but now she is starting ballet and I plan to have my dad drive us. Also I anticipate her riding with him more often now for other reasons.

The Audi currently has a Maxi Cosi booster that used to be DD1's. I want to replace it now.

Should I at this point:

Take the Cybex booster out of our Honda and transfer it to the Audi, and install the Frontier in the Honda?

OR

Keep the Cybex in the Honda and install the Frontier in the Audi?

After the Frontier gets here and we get to play with it, if i really like it I will consider getting another one for whichever car does not have it.

sorry if this is confusing, thanks so much for your help.

BabyBearsMom
01-12-2011, 05:18 PM
Could you get a nautilus for the less used car? I know that they are less expensive than the frontiers. Personally, I wouldn't feel good about a 4 yo riding in a booster at all, but I may be a little too intense.

KrisM
01-12-2011, 05:25 PM
What are you replacing your older DD's booster with? Does that factor in this at all? Or am I misunderstanding and that's an 'extra' seat?

If money is an issue, how about an Evenflo Maestro? Those are less expensive and harness.

If you can't buy anything else, I'd probably move the Frontier when needed. If you can't do that, I'd put the Frontier in your dad's car. If you can trust him as a driver, then I'd give him the safer seat.

lovebebes
01-12-2011, 05:37 PM
My older DD does not ride in that car much, and I wasnt planning on having her be in a booster at all when she does ride. Am I wrong?
She is 8.5, and very tall (all my kids are very tall, DH is over 6'5).

Money is not an issue...i mean, it is lol, but not when it comes to seats.

Im confused by something you said KrisM- give my dad the frontier if i CAN or CANNOT trust him?

-thanks!

lovebebes
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Could you get a nautilus for the less used car? I know that they are less expensive than the frontiers. Personally, I wouldn't feel good about a 4 yo riding in a booster at all, but I may be a little too intense.

Thx BabyBearsMom, I do NOT feel good about her riding in the booster...this is why im trying to figure out what to do now...if id known about proper carseat stuff just a bit earlier i wouldnt have bought the darn booster for her and would have bought something more appropriate :(

AnnieW625
01-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I would try the Frontier in your dad's car if you think she is less safe in that car, and leave the Cybex in the Pilot for the time being.

KrisM
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
My older DD does not ride in that car much, and I wasnt planning on having her be in a booster at all when she does ride. Am I wrong?
She is 8.5, and very tall (all my kids are very tall, DH is over 6'5).

Money is not an issue...i mean, it is lol, but not when it comes to seats.

Im confused by something you said KrisM- give my dad the frontier if i CAN or CANNOT trust him?

-thanks!

Does your older DD pass the 5 step test to not be in a booster?
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you don't trust your dad's driving ability, I would put her harnessed for sure. I figure he's more likely to be in an accident if you think he's not a good/safe driver and I'd want your DD as safe as possible in the car more likely to be involved in a crash.