PDA

View Full Version : Whattoys do you plan to keep forever?

katydid1971
01-12-2011, 04:02 PM
My mom tended to pass our old toys off to friends or people in need so there aren't many of my childhood toys left. MIL seemed to keep every toy DH played with as a kid. Some are great some are a little scary IYKWIM. Just wondering what toys of your DC do plan to keep for your grandchildren?

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
I'll probably keep a bin of Geotrax. They are loved so much by any kid that comes over. Other than that? Not sure. My mom just told me today that she plans to pack up the Sesame Street Little People set she has from when I was little, as soon as ds2 outgrows it and stops playing it when he visits her.

I visited the parents of a good childhood friend recently and she had the awesome Skeletor He Man castle that I remember from my youth. I can't believe she kept it. It was much less cool than I remember. :)

eta- Legos and Magnatiles as well here. I plan to keep all of our board games!'

Beth

willow33
01-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Probably the magna-tiles (we have 2 100 piece sets!), favorite books, legos, wooden trains and anything else that I think will be worth anything or considered hard to find :)

Katigre
01-12-2011, 04:22 PM
The large wooden play kitchen + play food
DS's wooden Thomas trains and track
Board games
Musical instruments
Books
Little People
Nice baby toys

My mom saved the 'best' out of our toys and I'm glad she did - my kids love playing with them now.

sarahsthreads
01-12-2011, 04:31 PM
I imagine we'll keep the legos & possibly the duplos. Maybe the wooden dollhouse, since it can be disassembled into a relatively small space - but honestly, my kids aren't all that into it, so then again maybe not. Definitely some of the more treasured books. Games that we really enjoy (i.e. not the Elmo matching game.)

I don't know what else. I'm kind of hoping my younger brothers have some children someday and we can pass some of the better/nicer things along to them when we've outgrown them. The only things my parents kept were legos, really. They meant to keep my brothers' collection of matchbox cars but they were lost somewhere in a move.

Sarah :)

hillview
01-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Matchbox cars
Legos
Duplos
Assorted books
Magnatiles (good idea)

Not sure what else ...

The lovies!
/hillary

ett
01-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Legos
Playmobil
nicer wooden toys/games - Spiel and Holz, Haba, Selecta, Holztiger
books
magnatiles

KrisM
01-12-2011, 06:22 PM
magnatiles
a bin or so of Thomas train stuff
Not sure what else. Probably some games, just because. I like having the original versions of older games, so probably the games out now are nicer than what'll be out in 20 years.

artvandalay
01-12-2011, 06:26 PM
The only things so far I will definitely keep are my boys' wooden Thomas trains. I'll keep some of the track, I suppose. Not sure I'll keep all the other wooden stuff (roundtable, bridges, etc.).

They were (and still are) a big part of their childhood.

Oh.. I suppose I should keep some of their Star Wars guys, too. My husband to this day talks about how his mother gave away a big box of all his Star Wars toys and he was crushed.

RunnerDuck
01-12-2011, 07:11 PM
The Plan City garage, as testament to how I went insane during my final pregnancy.

Legos sounds like a good thing to keep. I really want to have some fun stuff for the grandkids.

DHs mom had all of his lego creations in a box and mailed them to us... so now we have this box of lego things he put together... that no one else is allowed to touch... I'm not doing THAT. Everything I am keeping will be kept to be played with.

She also kept his old brio trains. So my kids can play with those at her house. Also some weird block set I am not too crazy about. And some of his old games.

lizzywednesday
01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
I haven't decided yet, but I am rather attached to the wooden blocks & cars DD has, so probably those.

I may have to ask people to only give DD what I've put on her wish list because it's (a) developmentally appropriate and (b) will not overwhelm my house with crap.

new_mommy25
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
So far only Thomas and Lego.

Puddy73
01-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Books
Wooden trains & track
Little People
Favorite board games

RunnerDuck
01-12-2011, 07:58 PM
I may have to ask people to only give DD what I've put on her wish list because it's (a) developmentally appropriate and (b) will not overwhelm my house with crap.

Oh... oh how I could go on for hours about this... I've just gotten around to doing wishlists for the kids because I am sick of the crap that comes in at Christmas. The problem is the worst offender is my dad, and the reason he is so bad is because he goes to TRU and does all the buy 1 get 1 sales for DS and my nephew - ie he would never look at the wish list or shop on line... this Christmas was the worst yet...

lizzywednesday
01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh... oh how I could go on for hours about this... I've just gotten around to doing wishlists for the kids because I am sick of the crap that comes in at Christmas. The problem is the worst offender is my dad, and the reason he is so bad is because he goes to TRU and does all the buy 1 get 1 sales for DS and my nephew - ie he would never look at the wish list or shop on line... this Christmas was the worst yet...

We could start a whole 'nother thread about this ... !

swrc00
01-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Wooden Thomas
Geotrax

My mom kept all of our Little People stuff and all the nieces and nephews love to play with it. DS has never really gotten into it, but I did pack it away for future children. If the next DC doesn't enjoy it either. I will probably get rid of those too.

RunnerDuck
01-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Wooden Thomas
Geotrax

My mom kept all of our Little People stuff and all the nieces and nephews love to play with it. DS has never really gotten into it, but I did pack it away for future children. If the next DC doesn't enjoy it either. I will probably get rid of those too.

You know what's funny is my obsession with the Plan city garage is partly from how I loved my LP garage as a kid. I keep wishing we still had THAT. (We had that and the house, I believe)

Funny thing is we have the LP farm and house (modern) and all 3 of my kids have pretty much ignored it. I keep saying I should just get rid of it, but it's one of those toys kids are supposed to like...

tina-t
01-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Will be keeping the wooden Thomas and Legos also.

citymama
01-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Wooden unit blocks that MIL saved from DH
DD's inseparable best friend lovey toy
wooden toy barn and wooden toy animals, from Germany

maybe: some of her hand puppets if she continues to love them as much as she does now. but soft toys get yucky over time, so not sure.

will definitely save some books. MIL saved some of DH's and my FIL's mom had saved some of his, so DD is reading some of her grandpa's and dad's childhood books that are pretty amazing!

lizzywednesday
01-13-2011, 04:51 PM

will definitely save some books. MIL saved some of DH's and my FIL's mom had saved some of his, so DD is reading some of her grandpa's and dad's childhood books that are pretty amazing!

I try to get hardcovers with the idea of passing the books down to future DC in mind. Hardcovers are a lot less likely to be "eaten" than softcovers!

(I still have some of my favorite hardcovers from when I was a kid; they aren't DD's exactly, but they'll be read to her!)

RunnerDuck
01-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Books can get nasty over time, but it can be interesting to read old ones when they have gone out of print or been changed to fit the times. I have my mom's old copy of the little engine that could and in the old version the clown was "the gayest clown you ever saw." Of course nowadays he is the HAPPIEST toy clown you ever saw :ROTFLMAO:

scriptkitten
01-13-2011, 04:56 PM

yeah, we really could use another thread for this.

i hate clutter and i hate explaining to my kids why the arms won't stay on the dollies that grandma x or auntie z bought them at the dollar store. i hate having to chase my son around making sure that he's not biting the wheels off of plastic and metals cars also bought at said dollar store. all of that stuff breaks and falls about so easily and i have no faith that they are free of toxins.

i think we'll end up keeping my son's wooden railroad stuff.

charmcitymom
01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
I still haven't decided what to save but this thread certainly had me thinking. I still have my Strawberry Shortcake dolls and a few Little People. I'm not sure I'll take them out for DS but I'm really upset about the fact that we gave away my Bert puppet. I remember telling my Mom it was okay because I didn't like the fact that his rubber head made my hand sweat. Doh! I saved Oscar though and maybe we'll take that out too.

Anyhow, I'll have to give it some thought ....

MamaMolly
01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
I still haven't decided what to save but this thread certainly had me thinking. I still have my Strawberry Shortcake dolls and a few Little People. I'm not sure I'll take them out for DS but I'm really upset about the fact that we gave away my Bert puppet. I remember telling my Mom it was okay because I didn't like the fact that his rubber head made my hand sweat. Doh! I saved Oscar though and maybe we'll take that out too.

Anyhow, I'll have to give it some thought ....

Oooooooh trippy! I had Burt too and didn't remember it until reading your post!!!!!!! Abd I had big bird...wonder where they are now...

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Grimm's Spiel Holz Giant rainbow. I will use it to decorate her room, and the GSH stacking Flower. Her Plan Toys Green Dollhouse will be around for a long time, maybe forever, if storing it isn't a total PITA!

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 12:03 AM
Grimm's Spiel Holz Giant rainbow. I will use it to decorate her room, and the GSH stacking Flower. Her Plan Toys Green Dollhouse will be around for a long time, maybe forever, if storing it isn't a total PITA!

Can you take it apart and store it flat? I am assuming that is what we will do with the parking garage, unless it comes to pass none of the kids are as nutty about it as I am, and we don't save it after all.

Neatfreak
01-17-2011, 12:29 AM
On my shortlist

- a few Little People sets
- Magnatiles
- Snap n Style dolls
- Matchbox cars (unless they get really beat-up)

crl
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Our parents did not save any toys--we are both military brats. Doesn't bother me at all. So I'm not sure I will save anything. If I do, I'd guess the unit blocks, they get a ton of play, should store well and not be scary 30 years from now. And I might save a few favorite books, though books can get yucky being stored for a long time.

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
01-17-2011, 10:39 AM
My mom tended to pass our old toys off to friends or people in need so there aren't many of my childhood toys left. MIL seemed to keep every toy DH played with as a kid. Some are great some are a little scary IYKWIM. Just wondering what toys of your DC do plan to keep for your grandchildren?

wow, my mom and my MIL are exactly like that too. My mom was constantly giving our outgrown/unused stuff away to the Goodwill or other people who needed it...she saved almost nothing. Whereas MIL kept EVERYTHING. Not only did she keep all DH's toys, she kept baby clothes, his diaper bag etc...even DH's crib is still in their attic!!

I agree about some of the toys being a little scary. DH has a talking Mickey Mouse toy that freaks me out. Also the Little People circa 1980 are major choking hazards, i can't imagine letting DS play with them for a long time.

about toys i'll keep of DS's i have no idea. maybe a few of the little people sets. with girls i think it's easier bc things like teasets, dolls are considered collectible etc (and they're more likely to be kept in nice condition). my DS is very rough on toys, i cant' see him using any toy and it remaining in any sort of condition to keep as a keepsake. hehe

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Also the Little People circa 1980 are major choking hazards, i can't imagine letting DS play with them for a long time.

You know I have heard this but I can't remember one of our little people every losing a head. It always seemed like a theoretical risk and CYA move on FP's part, to me...

We played with our little people a LOT. For some reason I always pictured God looked like the little people with the orange construction hat. No idea why but we would go to church and that is what I would picture.

My kids in contrast don't do much with the little people.

katydid1971
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
At ms. pacman--MIL was going to give me DH's crib?!?!?! She was offended that I didn't want a 35 yo crib that didn't meet any current safety standards. But I could go on and on (I think you understand)

We played with our little people a LOT. For some reason I always pictured God looked like the little people with the orange construction hat. No idea why but we would go to church and that is what I would picture.

:hysterical: