PDA

View Full Version : First trip with a 10 month old - advice needed please!

PHBrow
01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello,

Later this year I'll be making a coast to coast trip by plane with my 10 month old. I purchased a seat on the plane for him but am not sure if I am supposed to bring the car seat and the base or just the seat (maybe this is a stupid question!).

Also, currently my son is only 11 weeks old now (and he's my first) so it's hard for me to imagine what he'll be like at 10 months old. Is it reasonable to expect that we'll be able to take him on some day outings and short road trips at this age?

Any advice and tips are appreciated. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
I'd probably pack the base in your luggage and just take the seat on. What seat do you have? Will your dc still fit in it at 11m? Some of the higher weight limit seats are outgrown due to height. At that point you will need to take a convertible with you. That is usually a pretty good age for traveling. Engaged and mobile but still ok with strollers and being confined. :) Day trips and outings should be perfectly fine. I think babies that age are portable and you don't have to plan around them. When they have hit their limit you'll know and that day you can plan to have as a down day including a nap at where you will be staying vs on the go.

DVD players, cups of ice water and special treats are big hits on planes. There are other threads with other nifty ideas as well. We also rented DVD players at airports (you rent at one place and return at the arrival airport sometimes, very handy and nice not to have to lug your personal one around).

Have fun!

Beth

PHBrow
01-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Thanks Beth. I'm so glad to hear that 10 months is a good age for this type of travel. Also, thanks for the great tips...I need to check out that car seat issue b/c it may be too little by the time we travel. I have a Chicco Key Fit 22.

todzwife
01-12-2011, 09:40 PM
You'll be better off grabbing a $45 Cosco Scenera for traveling. It's LIGHT, cheap and easy to install. There is a good chance your little one will outgrow the 22 by 11 months.

weech
01-13-2011, 09:10 AM
DS is a little over 9 months now and while he hasn't technically outgrown his infant seat, he hates it and is too cramped, so we're switching to a convertible.

Definitely a good age to travel, but I know with my DS, he doesn't nap well on the go (unless he's in the car). He doesn't nap in strollers, restaurants, etc (too stimulating), so you may have to be stationary for at least a couple hours each day for a morning/afternoon nap. He'll be excited to go out and see new things, and they're pretty fascinated with anything at that age, so you'll be surprised what you can turn into a "toy."

Bring lots of snacks!