PDA

View Full Version : Molecular Breast Imaging

Fairy
01-12-2011, 05:24 PM
This is a very long (20 minutes or so) clip from a TED lecture (great lecture site, but that's neither here nor there). Fascinating stuff from this expert from Mayo. I am going to follow up on my mamogram as a result of what I've learned from this lecture. And I'm truly blown away by the politics getting in the way of what's best for women's (and men's) health. Wow.

http://www.ted.com/talks/deborah_rhodes.html

Fairy
01-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm shocked that no one has commented on this. I get it that it's long, but it's eye-opening.

o_mom
01-22-2011, 06:34 PM
I missed it the first time... and 20 min in a row are hard to come by here. :) I'll try to see it though!

Fairy
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm bumping again cuz I just don't want to let this go. I think it's very very important stuff. Here, I'll link to info, as well, if anyone doesn't want to watch the original longer lecture -->

This is a short article with lots of photos and a brief video
http://newsblog.mayoclinic.org/2008/09/03/breast-cancer-molecular-breast-imaging-mammography/

I'm actually thinking about taking a trip out to the Mayo just to have an MBI. I dunno if it's possible, but if I continue to get the runaround from my imaging center on my last mammogram (I want to know what level of density my breasts are, and they're claiming they don't do that categorization; it's vital that I know that), then I am going to look into if MBI is available (won't be covered, of course).

Please people, WATCH THE LINKS OR READ THE ARTICLE.

bcafe
01-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Yep, it's done in Nuclear Medicine which is the field I specialize in. You could check with UW Madison as they are pretty advanced there as well. Did you check with Loyola?

Fairy
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
I did not, I thoguht it was a Mayo thing only. I will absolutely look into both of those, as they're both far closer than Mayo would be. I'm seirously very interested in this, especially the poliltics that has and will continue to go into making this happen. It seems like a real no-brainer to me and that it's all about the politics at this point.

kozachka
01-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for sharing. I wonder if I can get an MBI in the Bay Area.