PDA

View Full Version : MK Rides and Babies

Raidra
01-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Can someone help me figure out how to do the rides with kids 7, 5, 2 (almost 3) and 10 months when we go to the Magic Kingdom?

I'm pretty sure we can all (including the baby) go on Peter Pan’s Flight, Pirates of the Caribbean, It’s a Small World, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority, is that right?

What about the following rides?

Dumbo
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Mad Tea Party
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Astro Orbiters
Buzz Lightyear
Jungle Cruise
Haunted Mansion

Which ones can the baby go on? How should we split up on them? I know some rides do child swap, but I'm assuming the little kid rides don't.. what if my husband and I both want to ride with the kids, but the baby shouldn't go on? How do we work that out?

I'm just trying to figure out how to be efficient and not let Niall get too bored (waiting), and if one of us will need to stay off a ride with the baby (and it would take too long for both of us to take a turn with the kids), then I'd rather find something else to do with the baby while the others go on rides.

Thanks so much!

keh602
01-13-2011, 12:25 PM
We took our then 13-month-old on every ride you listed except Buzz Lightyear. I don't know that we couldn't have taken him on that one, but we didn't ride it at all. For every ride we took him on, he just sat in either my lap or DH's and took everything in. :) I think for all of those rides, you'll be able to see as you approach them whether or not you'll all fit in one row/car or if you'll have to split up. DH and I each took one kid on Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh (I think), Aladdin, Astro Orbiters, and Haunted Mansion. I think for the others we were able to sit together. For Pirates, Small World, TTA, Mad Tea Party, and Jungle Cruise, you'll probably all be able to sit together. For the others, I think you and DH could each take 2 kids and be fine. I could be overestimating the size of those cars, but I think that's right. I don't think the baby has to skip any of those rides. :)

DebbieJ
01-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Took DS2 on Pirates, Buzz, Small World, and Jungle Cruise when he was 9 months old. We also took him on Toy Story Mania in DHS.

We didn't take him on Dumbo, but we probably could have. Same with Magic Carpets (basically the same ride, different theme). DH and DS1 rode Peter Pan by themselves (we had exclusive early magic hours, and they rode that one at 7 a.m. so DS2 was still sleeping).

We didn't ride TTA at all.

Haunted Mansion is near Small World, so you could do that with the baby while the older ones go on Haunted Mansion.

I did lots of strolling around and window shopping while DS1 and DH rode things (not to mention stopping to nurse and refilling water bottles--we brought our CamelBak bottles--any counter service place will refill with ice and tap water for you at no charge). We did child swap on the bigger rides--Splash Mountain, Soarin', Expedition Everest (DS1 did not ride--we were with friends and kept swapping so their older kids and the adults could ride--DH rode 3x in a row!), Kali Rapids, Test Track, etc.

egoldber
01-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Babies can go any ride except those with height restrictions. It's easier to list the things they can't go on vs can.

ETA: You can put in a height here. If you put in a really low height, it gives you a list of all rides with restrictions.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/height.htm

Raidra
01-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks guys. :) I get that those rides don't have height restrictions and babies are allowed, I guess I was wondering which would be comfortable to take a baby on.. if there are restraints that would make it difficult to hold the baby, or if we'd be squished, or what.

I like the tip about Small World and Haunted Mansion.. I think the boys would probably be bored with Small World, so maybe I could take Fiona and the baby on that while they do Haunted Mansion. That's the only one I was thinking Fiona might be scared of.. she's pretty brave overall.

egoldber
01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
A lot of it depends on the kid. :) I would take an infant on anything especially if they are sleeping.

My younger DD (3 last time we went) loved Buzz Lightyear. Haunted Mansion did not bother her. She actually really disliked the Snow White ride (it is labeled scary....) and Mickey's Philharmagic more than anything.

Actually, she gets motion sick, so the worst ride for her is the tea cups!

You must take your boys on It's a Small World at least once. :) Who doesn't like dancing puppets?

DebbieJ
01-13-2011, 02:00 PM
A lot of it depends on the kid. :) I would take an infant on anything especially if they are sleeping.

DS2 was sleeping when we got on the Safari in AK and miraculously he stayed asleep the whole time! DH has pictures of me holding onto him for dear life so he wouldn't wake up. LOL

crl
01-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I think the bigger constraint would be your 2 year old. Dd was 7 months and I did not have a problem with her on any rides. She slept through some and was fine on the rest. Well, she was pretty squirmy on the Great Movie Ride at HS, but otherwise fine on everything, and I think that was a function of wanting to move around, not the ride itself. It worked best for me to have her in the carrier (I had an Ergo).

But, there were some rides she was allowed on that I think would be too scary for many 2 year olds, for example Pirates of the Caribbean. I was glad my anxious 7 year wasn't on that ride with me as he would have been terrified.

Rider swap is only available on rides with height restrictions. If you don't want to take the baby on, you'll have to figure out fast passes twice or stand in line twice. Or split up the kids into two sets and have some ride with you on fast passes and some ride with dh on fast passes.

Catherine

Catherine