PDA

View Full Version : Trying to sell my BJ, what to buy???

momtobeoverseas
01-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Ladies!

I'm hoping you can help me fine a great stroller to replace the BJ citi classic that I'm trying to sell. The footprint is just too big for my needs. My DD is 16 months and the BJCC has been fantastic for walks but it takes up too much space in our smallish apartment and in the small elevator. (We have a quest for in and out the car and its great, but too bumpy for walks) Also, I have to say that the BJ is TERRIBLE on sand!

Here are my requirements:

a smooth ride on gravel
manageable on sand
small footprint
large sun canopy
lays flat for naps, ideally flatter than the BJ
possibly a bassinet option for future child, but not critical
nice look
not a jogger

Not important:

parent facing
weight (obviously within reason, but this is not going in and out of the car)

Any ideas? I was eyeing the Micralite toro (costs around 450 here with basinet included) but is the stroller more ideal for an infant?

TIA!!

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 03:36 PM
The Toro is a good option.

I am not sure if it would be good on sand but the swift is another small AT. The swift has a footprint of 23.5" x 32". The indie is also a bit smaller then other ATs. It has a footprint of 24.5" x 34".

In reference I think the BJCC was 27" x 36" and the Toro at 24"x28"

momtobeoverseas
01-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks! Does anyone here own the Toro? Is it a smooth ride? Is it stable?Would you buy it for a toddler?

jacksmoma
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
how about the bj city mini? MUCH smaller and still pushes great. check it out!

WatchingThemGrow
01-13-2011, 04:00 PM
how about the bj city mini? MUCH smaller and still pushes great. check it out! Mine did not do sand. We use the Elite on sand and it's *okay* but the mini is not at all okay for the sand at either of our beaches.
Maybe Swift...?

momtobeoverseas
01-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I guess I consider the BJCM to be more like an umbrella stroller- which we have. Does the mini push well on cobblestone, grass, gravel, etc?

purpelina
01-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Friend of mine has a toro, it's a nice stroller and I would get it for a 16 mo. I was seriously eying it myself. Do you have an option to get the toro without the bassinet? If you buy used for example?
Swift is great, has smaller footprint than bj. I traded my city classic for a swift :)

arivecchi
01-13-2011, 06:50 PM
Only strollers with large tires will push well on sand.

AnnieW625
01-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Only strollers with large tires will push well on sand.

The Bob is the only stroller I have owned that has done well on California sand, which is not really hard compared to the rest of the nation. I had a large tire single jogger from Dreamer Design and it didn't work well. The Vista would do okay on hard pack sand, but not soft sand. I can't see the BJCM doing well on the sand at all.

Strollerqueen should know about the Micralite on sand, she reviewed one a few years back.

momtobeoverseas
01-16-2011, 02:29 PM
Horray! I sold the BJCC for the equivalent of about 300$ (I think thats about what it cost us new). And now the choices!! Still undecided....

roseyloxs
01-16-2011, 02:53 PM
For 16 months I would go with the swift or the Toro. Its true something with larger tires like the BOB or Terrain would do better on sand but both are much too large if the BJCC was. I think you should be able to tip the Toro on its back tires for walking on sand. I wouldn't expect the Toro or the swift to do better on sand then the BJCC except maybe since they are lighter they will be, who knows?

Diapers.com has both so I would get people around here to find you some deals on both. Call diapers.com and have them pricematch. Buy them both and return the loser. You could have a new stroller in just 2 days!!!

momtobeoverseas
01-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Performance on sand is nice but honestly, ability to bump up steps and small footprint is more important. I actually live in Israel and wont be back in the states for a few months - I dont think they sell MB's here. (though there is no lack of cool strollers). I think I'm going to try the toro. Thanks everyone for your help!

purpelina
01-17-2011, 02:57 AM
For Israel definitely check out toro and superlite or fastfold - all made by micralite. I'm on my phone now and it's a bit tricky posting links from it, but if you go to magic beans website mbeans.com and search their blog for "Masha in Israel" you will find posts by someone who took micralite to her trip to Israel and thought it was the best solution.

strollerqueen
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
For the age of your child, and your uses, I would go with the FF Superlite.

momtobeoverseas
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Thanks stollerqueen! My only hesitation on the fastfold is the hood size. We're used to a BJ, and the sun here is crazy strong.

momtobeoverseas
01-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Well, I wanted to use if for a bit longer before writing a review but Purplina requested it so.... spent much of yesterday strolling around the neighborhood, park, etc. On a whole, I'm really happy with it. My daughter is 17 months but small for her age, 10th percentile for weight, 25th for height. The push is incredible, effortless compared to the mac and BJCC. That being said, It is not exactly an all-terrain feel because I still feel the bumps of the cobblestone and bricks due to the small front wheels. LOVE the seat and the recline, and I can tell DD is comfortable! A few reviewers said that the push was awkward because the front wheels are far apart and I did not experience that at all! I had no problems with the handlebars (I'm short, 5"2). The stroller is really a great size for what it does, and fits in our elevator perfectly. The basket is small but just fine for our needs. Large baskets are nice but usually with large baskets come large strollers. Its a bit annoying that there is a strap running across the top of the basket but you can also stuff things on top of the strap, adding more space. The stroller has a bouncy feel that I really like but my husband did comment that the stroller did not feel as sturdy as others, and I think maybe thats coming from the imbalance between the large back and small front wheels and lightweight frame. I did push it on playground sand... pushed well when dragging from behind, could not really push it forward. Overall I'm happy. I'm hoping this, together with the quest, will last us until strolling days are over and hopefully for a future child as well (Here, the stroller comes with the bassinet, cant buy it seperately, but everything together costs around 450)

purpelina
01-30-2011, 02:03 AM
Thanks! great review!
If my dd were younger, I'd get a toro in a heart beat. Since she's older, and we have very limited stroller needs, I'm not sure I can justify the cost...
and as you say, it's not all terrain because of small wheels. I did push my friend's toro in the snow the other day, and on some parts of the road - quite easy ones for an all terrain to handle - toro woudl get stuck. So you either had to drag it backwards (easy - peasy), or tip on the backwheels, but then it's awkward to push with a bigger child in it, or if you are tall (I am tall).

Other than that - perfect stroller for all seasons other thna deep snowy winter, and great for travel

poohbear
01-30-2011, 10:25 AM
$450 with the bassinet is a good deal.
They had toros on gilt last week that were $375 shipped without bassinet. I think they were $500 or $525 shipped with bassinet.