PDA

View Full Version : s/o--what vacuum and dust buster?

TwoBees
01-13-2011, 03:02 PM
My dust buster is on its way out, so I need a new one. I've had a Black & Decker one for years, but I am open to other ideas. Also, I need an upright vacuum. This is a contant...discussion...in our house. DH's family owned a bunch of vacuum stores when he was young, so he's a bit of a vacuum snob. We have this heavy, heavy, industrial vacuum right now. While it does a fantastic job sucking up dirt, the dang thing is so heavy (and the suction so strong), that I have a hard time doing the vacuuming. Getting it up and down the stairs is out of the question. I really don't want to spend $$$$ to get a Dyson, and DH insists that bagless vacuums are worthless. Can you suggest a vacuum (and dust buster) for me?

What I have to vacuum: lineoleum floor in kitchen, hardwood floor, a large, low-pile, area rug, and standard house carpet.

lizzywednesday
01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
We have 2 vacuums.

The ErgoRapido by Electrolux (I think) which is a combo stick/handheld vac and the Bissel Healthy Home.

Both are bagless.

I like the Healthy Home, but will admit that, because it's not self-propelled, it can be a bit awkward to use (hence its permanent residence on our carpeted 2nd floor) and it does weigh a ton, but I can't use the ErgoRapido everywhere.

FWIW, Dyson was on sale at Target earlier this month, so maybe the sale price is a deal you could take advantage of?

wendibird22
01-14-2011, 02:11 PM
We have the Hoover Tempo Widepath and love it. It's consistently rated high by CR (much higher than the Dysons). It cost us about $80 at BJs. It does great on carpet (with pet hair) and is very light weight. It's a bit loud, but most vacuums are, so that doesn't bother me. We also have used in on our laminate and tile. We've had it almost 6yr and it's still going strong.

sariana
01-14-2011, 02:15 PM
re: Dyson

Costco just had a sale on Dysons, and as PP mentioned, so did Target. It seems that they are clearing out the DC14 model. So you may want to try Big Lots or some other place that sells items that have been discontinued if you are at all interested in a Dyson.

I asked for and received the DC14 (All Floors) for Christmas. I hate to vacuum, so I haven't used it much. But when I do, I am amazed at how much stuff shows up in the canister. Was all that really in my carpet? :barf:

It also is light. One drawback: it makes horrible screeching sounds when vacuuming our Oriental rug. We're not sure why. But it doesn't hurt the rug; it just sounds terrible.

stinkyfeet
01-14-2011, 02:38 PM
I have a miele canister and LOVE it. We got the Callisto model, but there are definitely more affordable models available. If dh didn't have such bad indoor allergies, i probably would have opted for the more affordable Titan. I like that it has a bag vs bag less. I actually returned my dyson animal to Costco blc I didn't care for the vacuum that much.

I have a Black and decker handheld that works pretty well. I use it mainly to vacuum up the car and car seats. It's surprisingly powerful for its small size. The only thing that i don't like about it is that it is bag less. I purchased it from all the positive reviews on amazon. it is also pretty cheap--$40-$50 range.

TwoBees
01-14-2011, 02:59 PM
We have 2 vacuums.

The ErgoRapido by Electrolux (I think) which is a combo stick/handheld vac

I know some people posted about this a month or two ago and I was interested in it then, thanks for reminding me about it. How is yours holding up? I've had other stick vacs in the past that just don't have great suction and die quickly.

RunnerDuck
01-14-2011, 04:11 PM
We have hardwood in almost all of our house. We have a bissel revolution lift off. I love it. I mostly carry the cannister around. I use a broom to sweep, then suck with the sweeper nozzle. The lift off feature makes it super easy to do stairs, or go out to do your car. And then the full feature mode makes it easy to do our one room that is carpeted. I was coveting the dysons when we bought this but the lift off feature just seemed too great to pass up - and I love it.

bubbaray
01-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Miele cannister here. DH wasnt interested in a bagless. We have a B&D dustbuster.

lilycat88
01-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Miele Canister here as well. Gemini, I think.
We also have a Dyson Animal we like a lot but have abused and it was acting cranky so we got the Miele.

lizzywednesday
01-14-2011, 10:37 PM
I know some people posted about this a month or two ago and I was interested in it then, thanks for reminding me about it. How is yours holding up? I've had other stick vacs in the past that just don't have great suction and die quickly.

It's primarily DH's baby but it's holding up just fine. We've had it almost a year now.

When it loses suction, it's because the dust cup is full. Empty it out frequently & you're good-to-go.

It's a combo stick vac/hand vac & I love the hand vac for the dust on our railings, while the stick vac comes in handy for the hardwood floor and little bits of who-knows-what (shed Christmas tree "needles" from our artificial tree, for example) and battling the dust bunnies before I need Monty Python's Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch to kill them.

Honestly, if DD weren't terrified of it, I might use it more often.

Indianamom2
01-14-2011, 10:43 PM
We have the Dyson Dc-something (the yellow model) which I've had less than a year. So far, so good.

This is the only handheld vac. I've ever truly loved. It does a great job, especially in the car.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-71B-Hand-Held-Vacuum/dp/B0006HUYGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295059279&sr=8-1