PDA

View Full Version : What should I sell?

arivecchi
01-13-2011, 08:22 PM
So now that we are moving, I feel like I should sell part of my stash. I will still be in the city but I don't think I will use strollers as much as I do in my current location which is right by the lake and the zoo.

My stash:

MB Duo - thinking we still need this one since the nanny uses it a lot

MB Swift and Valco HH - thinking I should keep as a double for PT and car double

MB Terrain - sell this one?

Maclaren Albert Thurston - kids like it but we could probably live without it

Maclaren Triumph - an 06 with swiveling canopy - not sure if it is worth selling

Any advice?

purpelina
01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Hm, tough question - if you start selling your stash, what will happen to this forum???

Anyway, maybe keep the triumph for some time, as a "don't care about it travel stroller"?

And how can you part with MB, when you are practically a spokes person for the brand???

Sorry I'm no help! I may offer to buy the al from you though :love-retry:

goldenpig
01-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Did I miss a thread? Did you buy a house? Congrats!
I think if you really needed to pare down, probably would make the most sense to get rid of Al. Then you would have a AT double, AT single/car double, and travel umbrella. Also Terry could go if you're not going to need a single jogger. But if you have room, keep them!

jacksmoma
01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
your beloved Al? you sound like me selling off things!! it's fun to mix it up though, you can always get a stroller back (well normally!)...you could just keep the duo and al/hh for the car?

arivecchi
01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
We are in the process of selling our house and I attempted to move to the burbs but it did not work out since I had such a short time period to work with. I am not thrilled about the move but here we go. I suspect the new neighborhood will not be as stroller friendly but maybe I should wait until I move there to re-assess.

blondflava
01-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I think you should wait.. The strollers you have (especially Al!) once sold, will be hard to replace for the same deal you originally got them!

purpelina
01-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I think you should wait.. The strollers you have (especially Al!) once sold, will be hard to replace for the same deal you originally got them!

I agree. I didn't know if you were in the process of moving. First move, then evaluate the stroller situation, then decision of selling or keeping will present itself. Actually, AL can be a good all around do-it-all in the 'burbs stroller, yet fancy enough to go spend time in town.

See my dilemma now is, that I use stroller so rarely, that I really want something small, simple and cheap. YET I can not settle for cheap looks anymore....

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Unless you think the strollers will sell better in Lincoln Park aka more buyers for the area then I would hold them until you move. See how the new life works out.

If you don't run I would get rid of Terry.

If the swift is in your car I would put Al in your hubby's. I can see how Al might not be "needed" but it seems silly to give him up if your kids love him so much. Instead of using the hitchhiker you could always go out with two singles if you aren't alone, meaning you would get use out of both swifty and Al.

poohbear
01-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Hmmm.... I would wait for now, because:
a) DS 1 is getting older so that may also factor into your decisions in the next year or so
b) depending on your neighborhood, you may or may not still want an A/T (the terrain, but may not need the duo if DS 1 doesn't ride as much anymore, or you could just use the duo and put a creepy doll in the second seat...)

I have found for suburban living (which would also be true for some Chicago city neighborhoods), I like having the AT for neighborhood walks and a car stroller for my car and a car stroller for DH's car (if you have 2 cars)...

This may not have been especially helpful other than to say, I agree with everyone, to wait and see, if you can...

mackmama
01-13-2011, 09:26 PM
MB Terrain - sell this one?

:eek: :nono:

My stomach dropped when I read this possibility. No Terry no!

Seriously, though, I understand needing the room if you are moving. I vote for waiting until you move to then assess how much space you'll have and how much you'll use strollers in your new hood.

Hang in there with the move, and I hope all goes smoothly!

roseyloxs
01-13-2011, 09:29 PM
you could just use the duo and put a creepy doll in the second seat...)

:ROTFLMAO: Nice. Or you can be cool like me and push around a double with only one child in it.

nmstrong
01-13-2011, 09:52 PM
I would probably get rid of the terrain.....just less to move and unless r doing heavy duty running the swift will fit the bill perfectly. Just less to move.

BabyMine
01-13-2011, 10:28 PM
We are in the process of selling our house and I attempted to move to the burbs but it did not work out since I had such a short time period to work with. I am not thrilled about the move but here we go. I suspect the new neighborhood will not be as stroller friendly but maybe I should wait until I move there to re-assess.

Congrats! I would wait and then sell.

arivecchi
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
I :heartbeat: the Terrain so it would be difficult to give it up. I do agree with poohbear that I might kick myself for selling it once DS1 is no longer riding strollers as I could then use Terry with the new free rider for DS1.

Ahh!! Decisions, decisions......

I guess I will just wait. The house we are moving to has a 2 car garage and we only have on car so there would be room for the strollers. The movers will think I am nuts though.....

elektra
01-14-2011, 02:30 AM
The movers will think I am nuts though.....
Yep! Oh well!
First of all I wouldn't consider getting rid of the Triumph. It's way too useful for so many situations and you may not be able to get a ton of $ for it anyway.
You probably don't need both the swift and Terry. But I would wait to see how much you really need your car at your new place before selling the swift. The reason i traded an MBUS for the swift was because of how much easier and lighter it seemed in and out of the car.
But if you are not using the car as much i might keep the Terrain over the swift because it will last longer. Does the HH work on Terry?
However waiting to sell kind of defeats the purpose of trying to purge before you have to move unfortunately.
Al is a luxury stroller. I just cannot part with mine even though i don't technically NEED him. I do use the recline and leg rest quite a bit though, which my volo does not have. And his leather handles just bring a smile to my face any time i touch them. However, I think in your case if you want to sell one before you move, Al would make the most sense on paper. :( You have to follow your heart though. It's a very emotional decision. ;)

momtoax3
01-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Or have another kiddo and keep them all!

goldenpig
01-14-2011, 02:42 AM
Or have another kiddo and keep them all!

:yeahthat:

:ROTFLMAO:

Family planning based on stroller fleet!

WatchingThemGrow
01-14-2011, 08:06 AM
Keep Terry - When your DS1 is riding a bike and you'll need to run to keep up, DS2 will be in Terry.

Keep Duo -for zoo, other outings in the city with one adult

Keep Triumph and Al - for quick car errands, travel to see your family where you'll fly and have more than one adult to push (ok, maybe one of these should go within the year)

I'm thinking the Swift/HH or the Duo may be the ones to look at. Would your DS1 be completely happy sitting on the board rather than riding in the Duo? Actually, if you may do super-long walks in the neighborhood, the Duo may be the keeper...

arivecchi
01-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Ok, now I am really :dizzy:!

bubbaray
01-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Congrats!

Sell the Swift and Al.

Keep the Duo to keep the nanny happy.

Keep the Terrain to keep you happy.

I'd list the Triumph and get a new lightweight (a Volo).

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok, I am driving myself crazy here!

Here's what I am thinking:

MB Duo: nanny and I need for trips with both kids around neighborhood and for pre-school pick-up.

MB Swift and HH: need for car and indoor use with both kids. Also use outdoors in neighborhood at times.

MB Terrain: not used so much right now but will be handy when DS2 outgrows the Swift and DS1 can still fit in it so helpful for solo trips with DS1. I also have the carrycot if I went temporarily insane and decided to have a third.

Al: helpful for trips with DS1 or DS2 alone, nice for car use. Both kids love it. Does not see a lot of use.

Mac Triumph: used for travel, would not care if I sold it but what could I get for an 06 Triumph with swiveling canopy, navy footmuff and fruit punch liner?

purpelina
01-19-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, for Mac triumph with accessories you could ask 50 maybe? It would definitely sell for 35. Just saw an old volo with a liner on local cl fly out the door at 35

crl
01-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, what's the goal? Maximizing resale dollars? Paring down to the absolute minimum?

Can Al substitute for both the Swift and the triumph? Do you jog with Terry?

Catherine

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
I just feel crazy with so many strollers. I want to pare down to the combo that makes the most sense.

crl
01-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Well, unless you run, I'd sell Terry and Al. Then you would have three. An air tire double for the neighborhood, an all-purpose single and a travel stroller. Except for jogging, it sounds like you'd have every situation covered for the present. Plus Al and Terry should fetch enough on CL or elsewhere to actually be worth the effort of selling them.

Then down the road, you can sell the duo and the Swift and buy one bigger AT if you need something bigger than the Swift to fit ds2.

Catherine

liamsmom
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Awww. I've been avoiding this thread because I'm sad for A. Anyway, I see the most redundancy with the Duo and the Terrain, but I'd hold off on selling them for the moment. If you really like the Terrain, then keep it for now. I don't think your DS1 will be riding the stroller all that much, especially if you're out of the city. But if your nanny prefers that one, then I'd hold on to it for a little longer. But it will probably prove itself to be much less useful in about 6 months. Since you don't like traveling with Al, I'd just stash the Triumph somewhere in the house or garage and use it as necessary. You'll probably keep Al and the Swift in the garage or car at all times.

Really, until you're actually living in the new place, you won't know how you'll be using your strollers. Look at me: my DS is 16 months old and I'm still figuring out the best combination. I think the in-and-out-of-the-car-stroller is a more difficult situation to assess than everyday city-living. Maybe because size, weight and fold figure more into getting a stroller in and out of the car, whereas in the city it's about getting it in and out of the house and into stores?

purpelina
01-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I see different possible combos here. Honestly, I would sell the double first. Then I could either keep the swift as do-it-all and maybe triumph for occasional air travel. Depends on how often and where you are going of course. How fast your children grow... My oldest for example loved strollers and was very ig (90%), my yongest loves to walk, and is rather small, so a smaller stroller can fit her longer etc.
I might have kept just al as true one and only. In the long run, this stroller has the most versatility. So does swift...

But you also love terry, so keeping terry and either al or triumph is another option.

See, you have such wonderful strollers, that it's hard to choose, I hear ya!

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Well, unless you run, I'd sell Terry and Al. Then you would have three. An air tire double for the neighborhood, an all-purpose single and a travel stroller. Except for jogging, it sounds like you'd have every situation covered for the present. Plus Al and Terry should fetch enough on CL or elsewhere to actually be worth the effort of selling them.

Then down the road, you can sell the duo and the Swift and buy one bigger AT if you need something bigger than the Swift to fit ds2.
Objectively, I think this approach makes the most sense, but I have a hard time parting with Al. I also fear that I would kick myself for selling Terry down the road, but you are giving me the option of buying another stroller down the line. I like that! :)

Why can't I be a stroller minimalist? ;)

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 04:21 PM
We are staying in the city so the double is a must for now. The nanny would kill me (and so would DS1) if I sold it!

Swissair, my fellow MB junkie, thinks I should sell both Macs. LOL.

babychi
01-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Arivecchi - Keep them all! :)

Didn't you say you are staying in the city and your new place has a 2 car garage? You're a one car family, right? You'll have plenty of space to store them all! But if you feel the need to unload one, I do agree Terry may be overkill if you don't run.

purpelina
01-19-2011, 04:33 PM
We are staying in the city so the double is a must for now. The nanny would kill me (and so would DS1) if I sold it!

I see. That's serious!
Well, what if you kept them all for a bit longer? I think time will tell if you need to part with something, and what stroller will that be.

In any case, all these strollers (even if you bought a couple more), are much cheaper than a second car, so there you go. Park them in the second car spot, and save the money.

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Didn't you say you are staying in the city and your new place has a 2 car garage? You're a one car family, right? You'll have plenty of space to store them all! But if you feel the need to unload one, I do agree Terry may be overkill if you don't run. We are a one car family yes! :) Poor Terry, he is feeling forgotten even though he is such a fabulous stroller! I guess if I decide to sell Terry, spring would be best right?

In any case, all these strollers (even if you bought a couple more), are much cheaper than a second car, so there you go. Park them in the second car spot, and save the money. :ROTFLMAO: I will have to remember this line of reasoning!

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Sorry to keep bothering you all with my stroller drama, but my nanny just blew my mind.

Her thoughts:

Mac Triumph: keep for bus/travel

Al: sell

MB Duo: keep; DS1 will be offended if DS2 is all warm and comfy and DS1 is freezing his little tush off

MB Terrain: keep; she loves how it handles in the snow and DS1 fits really well in it. She used the Terrain to take DS1 to preschool today and she loves the idea of the free rider with Terry

MB Swift and HH: sell as she uses the double more and we can just use Terry with the free rider

:eek:

jacksmoma
01-19-2011, 05:34 PM
your nanny has a good ideas!!!

crl
01-19-2011, 05:42 PM
That seems viable! You would lose the versatility of the Swift though.

Terry gets you DS1 fitting in it now and more longevity for use with DS2, plus a true jogger if anyone takes up running and it has got to be better in the snow. But the trade off is that Terry isn't nearly as easy to get in and out of the car and it won't fit into city markets, restaurants, etc as well as the Swift. So I think it just depends on how you most often use an air tire single.

Catherine

roseyloxs
01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Won't you be traveling in and out of your car more now? Making the swift more important then ever? You will need a car stroller and the free rider can be moved to the swift for car trips.

I was going to say get rid or Terry but if the nanny wants to keep it then it sounds like you should. If Al isn't being used you should find a good home for him so he can reach his full potential. I would keep the duo for now but I wouldn't be surprised if you are ready to sell him in the next year as your ds1 gets older.

Once summer comes around I think you could be down to Terry, Swift, and the Triumph with free rider access for ds1.

mackmama
01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Interesting ideas. It seems like your Swift is a solid workhorse for you, though, so I'm not sure you should sell it. If you don't need both the Triumph and Al, maybe you could start with selling Al and then wait on the rest until a little after your move once you have a better idea of your needs?

Multimama
01-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Your nanny suggested that you sell Al? I think it's time to start looking for a new nanny! :BUMP:

arivecchi
01-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Your nanny suggested that you sell Al? I think it's time to start looking for a new nanny! :BUMP::hysterical:

I think I may just keep them all for now because I cannot decide.

I will be known in the new neighborhood as the stroller hoarder!

crl
01-19-2011, 11:06 PM
:hysterical:

I think I may just keep them all for now because I cannot decide.

I will be known in the new neighborhood as the stroller hoarder!

You could loan a couple out. :wink2:

Catherine

Beth24
01-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Catherine

Or try to keep them all hidden...avoiding the puzzled looks of your neighbors as they try to figure out whether they had seen the stroller before...

momtoax3
01-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Just say...."Oh, this one, yeah this is my Mountain Buggy" and neglect to include the name and then they'll probably never notice. Some cleverly mounted hooks to hang strollers in the garage would probably be good too.

Nifty Swifty would be welcomed with open arms here if PB doesn't snatch him.

I've never seen the Terrain IRL, would it be too big to attach a board to and use in stores (similar size to BOBs which I see in stores here all the time?) You guys posted pictures not too long ago I think. I'll have to go look.

MontrealMum
01-20-2011, 03:46 AM
I would keep them for now as it's such a hectic time for you and it will be such a short time until you're in the new place.

Once you're in the new place I *might* consider selling Al (if you've got to have a 1st on the chopping block). Because he's new and in good shape and will be much more sell-able than the Triumph. Based on DS1's stroller usage in the coming spring I might consider selling one of the doubles as well. But I would wait on that to see how walkable the new 'hood is, what his school situation is going to be, how the scheduling falls out, and how you all adapt.

I know you want to get some to get things squared away, but I think it may be best to wait a bit on the selling :)

Multimama
01-20-2011, 08:32 AM
I see that Al has a higher resale value than the Triumph, but if I had to I would still sell my travel stroller and just travel with Al before selling Al. Yeah, he's really nice. But shouldn't *you* be using that nice stroller instead of someone else who a) won't treat him as well and b) won't appreciate him like you do.

blackiris
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I see that Al has a higher resale value than the Triumph, but if I had to I would still sell my travel stroller and just travel with Al before selling Al. Yeah, he's really nice. But shouldn't *you* be using that nice stroller instead of someone else who a) won't treat him as well and b) won't appreciate him like you do.

Yeah, that's what I'd do too. Sell the triumph, not to make money, just to have fewer strollers.

roseyloxs
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM

I had thought this as well. Maybe instead of selling the triumph you can pass it on to family or friends since it won't fetch much money anyhow?

roseyloxs
01-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Some cleverly mounted hooks to hang strollers in the garage would probably be good too.

Love the garage hook idea. I would think all the strollers would hang pretty well from the handlebar.

bubbaray
01-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I would keep them for now as it's such a hectic time for you and it will be such a short time until you're in the new place.

Once you're in the new place I *might* consider selling Al (if you've got to have a 1st on the chopping block). Because he's new and in good shape and will be much more sell-able than the Triumph. Based on DS1's stroller usage in the coming spring I might consider selling one of the doubles as well. But I would wait on that to see how walkable the new 'hood is, what his school situation is going to be, how the scheduling falls out, and how you all adapt.

I know you want to get some to get things squared away, but I think it may be best to wait a bit on the selling :)

I think this is brilliant. Thanks Molly -- the voice of reason!

tmahanes
01-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Catherine

:yeahthat: Totally..... send one of this way...it would be well loved here :loveeyes:

Seriously though what I would do it keep them all for now and invest in something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Crawford-STFSR13-Duramount-Flip-Up-Bike/dp/B0038JDCZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295552657&sr=8-2). Just line them down one wall of the garage and you have out of the way storage for all of them until you are in your new house for a while and can truly evaluate how and where you will be using what stroller. You know you can always sell them later on Strollerista :).

arivecchi
01-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Allright, I will re-consider after the move! Thanks for all the advice! :)

arivecchi
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
:yeahthat: Totally..... send one of this way...it would be well loved here :loveeyes:

Seriously though what I would do it keep them all for now and invest in something like this (http://www.amazon.com/Crawford-STFSR13-Duramount-Flip-Up-Bike/dp/B0038JDCZ0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1295552657&sr=8-2). Just line them down one wall of the garage and you have out of the way storage for all of them until you are in your new house for a while and can truly evaluate how and where you will be using what stroller. You know you can always sell them later on Strollerista :). I would love it if I ended up selling any and they ended up with a strollerista member. I would be sad if a future owner did not treat them as well as I do. :) Problem solved with strollerista!

tmahanes
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
I would love it if I ended up selling any and they ended up with a strollerista member. I would be sad if a future owner did not treat them as well as I do. :) Problem solved with strollerista!

Ohhhhh maybe you will take long enough the decide which you want to sell that I will be able to convince myself I am justified in buying one!! I would love a MB! :)

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

arivecchi
01-26-2011, 11:09 PM
So I finally moved and guess who came right out of the gate?

TERRY!!!!!

It was snowing today and super slippery, so out came Terry to pick up DS1 from pre-school while DS2 waited back at home. That stroller can certainly rock the snow. Added plus, you can hang on to it in order to keep from slipping in the ice!

Duo is definitely staying too as the nanny will use a lot for preschool pick up and to be able to be out and about with both kids. So those two are safe.

Al, Swifty and the Triumph are still packed up. Poor guys.

pampers37
01-26-2011, 11:23 PM
i just chuckled. MB really should be paying you...

poohbear
01-26-2011, 11:35 PM
So I finally moved and guess who came right out of the gate?

TERRY!!!!!

It was snowing today and super slippery, so out came Terry to pick up DS1 from pre-school while DS2 waited back at home. That stroller can certainly rock the snow. Added plus, you can hang on to it in order to keep from slipping in the ice!

Duo is definitely staying too as the nanny will use a lot for preschool pick up and to be able to be out and about with both kids. So those two are safe.

Al, Swifty and the Triumph are still packed up. Poor guys.

Today was a good day for Terry, unfortunately it looks like tomorrow will be too :thumbsdown:. BOB stayed in because it was too cold, though when we got home today, DS pointed at him and said "ride" I said "nope."

You know who gets first dibs on swifty :wink2:

Multimama
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
You know who gets first dibs on swifty :wink2:

Multimama? :D

momtoax3
01-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Go Terry!

I'm finally learning that anywhere here in the midwest w/snow means AIR TIRES! Bonus if it keeps you from falling on the ice.

Pooh, I'm next in line after you :)

mackmama
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeh Terry! He's a keeper! :yay:

arivecchi
01-27-2011, 12:20 PM
:ROTFLMAO:

You guys crack me up. I will get a wait list started for Swifty in case I decide to sell him. ;)

He will come with some awesome goodies if I do!

Yeah, mackmama, Terry is totally awesome. He is not going anywhere. DS1 still fits really well in it.

mackmama
01-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Yeah, mackmama, Terry is totally awesome. He is not going anywhere. DS1 still fits really well in it.

:banana: Phew!

I've been taking Terry out with the bassinet, and at times it feels like pushing a shopping cart - but in a good way. I can lean on it when I'm tiredly strollin. :p

arivecchi
01-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Would you mind taking pics of Terry with the bassinet? I bet he looks smashing. :love-retry:

mackmama
01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes I will take some pics!