PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Shoprunner to get free shipping:(

sujathas
01-14-2011, 12:01 AM
I signed up for the free 30 day shoprunner trial to get free shipping in december when toysrus was having those great deals. Unfortunately, I forgot December had 31 days, and forgot to cancel in time. Now I've been charged $79! Anyone have any luck convincing shoprunner to reverse this charge?

jjjo1112
01-14-2011, 12:21 AM
I did the same thing and forgot. I called 2 days after the free trial date and they credited me the difference between the 79 and what I had saved with free shipping- so I ended up getting 65 back and I was very happy with that. Call and ask to speak with a manager, however if you had a ton of stuff shipped for free- you might not get that much back. Your account should show you how much you have saved with free shipping when you log in. HTH, Jackie

veronica
01-14-2011, 08:35 AM
I love it. Helped out with a few purchases over the holidays since our TRU is so far. I just wrote down on the calendar the day I should cancel and it worked out great. If they don't credit you back, just use the heck out of it for the next year!

wendibird22
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
I had the same thing happen. I logged into my account, cancelled it and got a full credit to my credit card. I never had to call anyone.

sujathas
01-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the advice. I called them today (1 day late), and they offered me $40 back for "appeasement" and cancelled the membership. So they ended up keeping $39, even though that was much more than I had supposably used of their services during the 30 day free trial window. I'm going to send a followup letter to their customer service to see if they can increase the amount of money back to me. The reason I used was that I was unhappy with them when I realized that they had misadvertised and not All items at Toysrus etc. had free shipping; just selected ones.

sewarsh
01-14-2011, 09:41 AM
i'm so glad i notated my calendar to cancel. sorry you're dealing with this now. i'm a little surprised they're being so strict, but i guess that goes to show you how little people must've used the service.

just so you know the service is not just for tru. you can use it for other stores as well.

Multimama
01-14-2011, 10:02 AM
This makes me really appreciate Amazon's policy if you forget to cancel after signing up for a free Prime membership trial. As long as you haven't used the service since the free trial ended, they will refund you all of your money.

wellyes
01-14-2011, 10:41 AM
The difference is that with Amazon, you're their customer for shopping AND shipping, and they want to keep you happy. Shoprunner exists entirely for the shipping deal, so they have less incentive to provide a refund. Once you cancel, you are no longer their customer.

You DO agree to pay the full amount if you don't cancel on time when you sign up. The only reason they'd have to make an exception is that being known for good customer service would be good business! But, then again, if they provide a refund to a few people, they'll have to do it for everyone (because of sites like this, heh, where we-all talk).

wendibird22
01-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I think I was able to get the full refund because I never used the service..during the free period or after.

krocodile
01-14-2011, 10:04 PM
I had this same thing happen. I signed up when ordering something from TRU and didn't realize the trial was almost up because I lost track of time and got the charge. When I looked at the agreement though, it said that if you used it once during the trial period you couldn't cancel so I didn't try calling.

You can change your memberhip information and turn off automatic renewal, just in case you forget in a year. I keep looking for reasons to use it but really have no need, there is no way I'm going to get my money out of it so maybe I'll call now that I've heard people have gotten some money back...