PDA

View Full Version : Stroller blasephemy: Thinking about trading Al for a BJCM

liamsmom
01-15-2011, 03:34 PM
We just got back from our travels on the West Coast (and inadvertently Chicago due to a canceled flight ;)) and I'm really reconsidering the practicality of umbrella strollers. In particular, I think my Mac Ryder might be a little too nice to use as my car/travel stroller. It held up nicely for the trip, but I was constantly worried about it. And sometimes it's frustrating trying to put the Mac in the trunk of the car if there's a lot of other stuff in there. I'm wondering if a BJCM would be easier and more useful. Any thoughts on this? Or am I just suffering from stroller envy?

keeley146
01-15-2011, 03:53 PM
I LOVE the fold of my BJCM compared to my Pliko P3 umbrella fold. The BJCM seems to take up way less space in my trunk than the other one.

arivecchi
01-15-2011, 03:55 PM
I do think Al is too nice for air travel, but I would not want a BJCM for air travel either....... I find Al great for car use. I am sure poohbear can give you her take on things since she has both.

poohbear
01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
I do think Al is too nice for air travel, but I would not want a BJCM for air travel either.......

:yeahthat: I am planning to travel with my BJCM when we go to Disney, but I bought the travel bag for it. I personally like to travel with the Triumph. But, if you're talking about an everyday stroller, that's another story... As for push, it's comparable, though I find the Mac to be slightly nicer even. Obviously the BJCM has better canopy, easier fold, better storage... May be stroller envy. I've been thinking about trading my BJCM in for a Swift. LOL!

roseyloxs
01-15-2011, 04:05 PM
Go for it! I had a BJCM before I got my topaz. Much prefer the fold of the BJCM. So much easier to fit a flat square in a loaded trunk. I wouldn't have any problem traveling with a BJCM. I might not even deal with the official travel bag. Maybe just a garbage bag or one of those cheap check bags to protect the fabric from grease and whatnot.

The reasons I gave up the BJCM was that I didn't like how my one year old sat in it. I tried a stiff piece of cardboard but it didn't make a big difference for my dd. Also I was used to having an adjustable footrest at that point and was missing that. I also kicked the back of the stroller in full stride but apparently only me and one other amazon reviewed have ever had this problem.

If you can afford it, I would buy the BJCM before selling your Al. Use it for a little while and then pick which one to keep and sell the other.

keeley146
01-15-2011, 04:31 PM
We traveled with our BJCM when it was brand new and it was great. We didn't have any trouble at all.

blondflava
01-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a BJCM and would travel with it in a heartbeat (they have those orange check in bags at TRU now, I'd get one). But having a more substantial stroller while on vacation is great, usually you spend a lot of time outdoors, walking, etc, having a non-tippy stroller with good storage is essential.. For a toddler 3+ I'd use a Volo though, as I'd expect them to walk most of the time ;)

jerry_mishkata
01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
We just got back from our travels on the West Coast (and inadvertently Chicago due to a canceled flight ;)) and I'm really reconsidering the practicality of umbrella strollers. In particular, I think my Mac Ryder might be a little too nice to use as my car/travel stroller. It held up nicely for the trip, but I was constantly worried about it. And sometimes it's frustrating trying to put the Mac in the trunk of the car if there's a lot of other stuff in there. I'm wondering if a BJCM would be easier and more useful. Any thoughts on this? Or am I just suffering from stroller envy?

FWIW, I replaced my umbrella stroller with a Valco Quad (which folds in a fat square-ish thing, sort of like the BJCM, just not that flat), and I agree, I have much more space in the trunk of my subcompact... I like it much better for trips to the store.

liamsmom
01-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a BJCM and would travel with it in a heartbeat (they have those orange check in bags at TRU now, I'd get one). But having a more substantial stroller while on vacation is great, usually you spend a lot of time outdoors, walking, etc, having a non-tippy stroller with good storage is essential.. For a toddler 3+ I'd use a Volo though, as I'd expect them to walk most of the time ;)

Yeah, I think I was frustrated by not having enough stroller while on vacation, especially during the winter. While the Mac is great for trips to the mall, I wanted more basket. We had coats and the diaper bag was heavier than usual. And a BJCM could probably fit into the backseat of the car if there wasn't enough room in the trunk. I need to seriously de-clutter some stuff before I consider buying though!

poohbear
01-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I think I was frustrated by not having enough stroller while on vacation, especially during the winter. While the Mac is great for trips to the mall, I wanted more basket. We had coats and the diaper bag was heavier than usual. And a BJCM could probably fit into the backseat of the car if there wasn't enough room in the trunk. I need to seriously de-clutter some stuff before I consider buying though!

I can see this - I generally take my BJCM with me before Al (though BJCM is in my car and Al is in DH's) for the same reasons you mentioned, plus I can hang my bags on BJCM. I haven't traveled with it yet, but I might bring it with me when I travel in March. I do have the BJCM bag (I'm a little paranoid about the airlines and my strollers after my Triumph canopy was broken after an airplane trip)...

Overall, BJCM is a good stroller. Is it the most amazing compact stroller ever? IMO no, if only because of the quality issues I personally have dealt with (though their CS is great and they have fixed it - it's just been a hassle). BUt for $200, is it a good stroller with great features? Yes. And it beats out Albert in terms of canopy and storage...

Just my 2cents...

Multimama
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Everytime I have looked at this thread title it has bothered me and i finally figured out why!

I totally get not wanting to travel with Al. I traveled with my Blink over Christmas and was very happy that I did. We brought a travel bag, but I was too frazzled to want to mess with it on the gangway in either direction. It was great to have a stroller I didn't have to worry about and the Blink served us well.

But to get rid of Al??? That doesn't make sense to me. :) Buy a BJCM, by all means. Buy a Volo or a Blink or a Quinny Zapp to travel with if you feel so inspired. But get rid of Al?? Never! :)

arivecchi
01-17-2011, 11:11 AM
I agree Multimama. Al is not replaceable! It is a limited edition right?

liamsmom
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
Everytime I have looked at this thread title it has bothered me and i finally figured out why!

I totally get not wanting to travel with Al. I traveled with my Blink over Christmas and was very happy that I did. We brought a travel bag, but I was too frazzled to want to mess with it on the gangway in either direction. It was great to have a stroller I didn't have to worry about and the Blink served us well.

But to get rid of Al??? That doesn't make sense to me. :) Buy a BJCM, by all means. Buy a Volo or a Blink or a Quinny Zapp to travel with if you feel so inspired. But get rid of Al?? Never! :)

Lol, like I said, it's stroller blasphemy! I'm just wondering if I want to deal with an umbrella stroller at all. Ideally if we had two cars, I'd have no problem keeping Al. I'm also questioning owning such a nice stroller. Sometimes it feels too nice to use if it's raining or snowing. Kind of like $300 jeans--they're not everyday jeans and most of the time you don't want your kid near them. But those leather handles are awesome...:rotflmao:

poohbear
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Lol, like I said, it's stroller blasphemy! I'm just wondering if I want to deal with an umbrella stroller at all. Ideally if we had two cars, I'd have no problem keeping Al. I'm also questioning owning such a nice stroller. Sometimes it feels too nice to use if it's raining or snowing. Kind of like $300 jeans--they're not everyday jeans and most of the time you don't want your kid near them. But those leather handles are awesome...:rotflmao:

I get this. We HAVE two cars, so I justify it. FWIW I have used it in the rain - twice! (not on purpose either time). But it does have a rain cover. THe leather handles were fine :) The worst part was folding it in the rain - I was cursing it because the BJCM is so much easier to fold ;) But I understand what you're saying, but at $193, it's not SUCH a nice stroller (ack, what have we done to ourselves that we think $193 is not such a nice stroller :ROTFLMAO:)

Multimama
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm also questioning owning such a nice stroller. Sometimes it feels too nice to use if it's raining or snowing. Kind of like $300 jeans--they're not everyday jeans and most of the time you don't want your kid near them. But those leather handles are awesome...:rotflmao:

Oh, I hear you on this. We still use our Blink as our everyday stroller even though we have Al. It's silly. We should be using Al. I absolutely feel that Al is too fancy for my very un-fancy surroundings. It's like wearing your best wedding-worthy dress to go pick up the pizza. But sometimes you need that wedding-worthy dress. That's why you have it. :)

I have considered selling the Blink and just using Al like he's a normal everyday stroller. After all, when all the accessories are considered, he cost less than the Blink. And if I have a stroller this fancy I might as well enjoy it.

Yeah, I've considered selling the Blink, but I would never sell Al. :)

ETA: FWIW, I have a BJCE and while I think it would be great as a car stroller, I would never want to travel with it. That fold and shape is not what you want in a crowded subway and being able to swing an umbrella over your shoulder like a bag can really save you sometimes when you don't have an extra hand.

roseyloxs
01-17-2011, 05:33 PM
Start using your ALs people! He wasn't meant to be stuffed in a closet. He is meant to be seen and shown off. What was the point of buying him if none of you ever use him? He is a maclaren he can put up with the abuse. :D That's my PSA for the day.

blondflava
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
:yeahthat:
:wink2:

Multimama
01-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Start using your ALs people! He wasn't meant to be stuffed in a closet. He is meant to be seen and shown off. What was the point of buying him if none of you ever use him? He is a maclaren he can put up with the abuse. :D That's my PSA for the day.

Well, I'm trying to unclutter our apartment and since Al is not going, I think the Blink may have to go. Or maybe just the Volo... Okay, I have issues.

And the point of buying him was that I LOVE HIM. You know what they say, if you love something, don't set it free. Wait. That's not what they say...