PDA

View Full Version : More details and all kinds of questions!

KBecks
01-15-2011, 06:24 PM
So DH was rewarded with a trip to WDW for work, and it includes a package that has two nights at the Boardwalk Inn resort on site, two group dinners, and two days of park hopper passes.

We are thinking about adding extra days and perhaps staying at a different WDW for another 2 days.

DH has been researching and seems to think we don't need a dining plan. I have questions about this whole advance dining reservations things. We are generally pretty spontaneous and I am not sure if reservations really would work well for us -- but then I read that you pretty much have to have reservations? Are there no "fast food" type places at Disney? I'm confused.

DH is researching and is thinking we should stay at the Port Orleans Riverside (his 1st choice) a cabin at Fort Wilderness (2nd choice) or a villa at the Animal Kingdom (3rd choice). I think he's considering value vs. location vs. experience.

I have not read that much at all about any Disney stuff!

Thanks for any comments....

KBecks
01-15-2011, 06:34 PM
We have a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 2 year old. I am looking into these stroller rental companies, to maybe rent a double? Are there any rides that would work for all of us to ride?

TwinFoxes
01-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Ok, one question...where does your DH work? ;)

To answer your Qs, there are lots of "quick service" restaurants in WDW where you don't need Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs). For sit down restaurants you should get ADRs, if you don't want a long wait.

We stayed at BW Villas and loved the convenience. It's a great location. I think the theming is lame (1920's Eastern Seashore I think?) but it's pretty. I would definitely stay there again. I've also stayed at PO-R pre-kids. We liked it. I would stay there again.

We looked into the cabins at FW. We ended up at BWV, but we are thinking of doing a "Magical Gathering" there with DH's family in the future. It's got a nice playground. And it seems like a real campground (real for WDW at least.)

We ate at AKL. It's a great property, but far away from a lot of the rest of the park.

TwinFoxes
01-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Just saw your update. There are TONS of rides for you. :) Disney isn't like a coaster park, like Six Flags, a lot of the rides are "experiences" and appeal to all ages. My DDs went at 28 months, and loved, loved, LOVED it! They are short for their ages (50th percentile) so your two year old will probably be able to go on a few more rides than they did.

left210
01-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Check out www.disboards.com (http://www.disboards.com) for more info than you could ever imagine!

crl
01-15-2011, 08:24 PM
There are lots of counter service places to eat. For sit down meals most places you probably do want reservations to avoid long waits. All the character meals are sit down and I would definitely get reservations if you want to do any if those. We really enjoyed our character meals. Chef Mickey's for breakfast was our favorite!

I think you will want a stroller for your youngest two. Some people find it easier to have two singles so you can split up. Some people also find it cheaper to buy something used off CL and then resell after the trip. If you decide to rent, in addition to the park strollers, there are rental companies in Orlando. If you rent a park stroller you can't take it from that park so no stroller to get back to your hotel or to another park.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness seemed like a pain to me because of the bus system (we stayed at Wilderness Lodge). If you are planning to have a rental car that might be different.

Lots of rides everyone can go on. Pretty much everything except the coasters. The restrictions are based on height.

Have fun,
Catherine

fivi2
01-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a cabin review on here if you do a quick search. We actually loved the cabins for a few reasons, but they definitely aren't for everyone. You can find good info on the disboards camping forum - look for pics and a lot of reviews so you know what you are getting. We didn't mind the internal buses at all, and usually the park buses were fine, but a couple we had to wait. But it sounds like that could happen anywhere. The boats to the MK were nice.

It was nice to spread out, have a full kitchen, and let the girls run around outside while we had a beer on the porch (depends on cabin location). But we didn't feel like we were in a hotel being pampered - we cooked a lot of our own meals etc.

I would definitely consider staying at a villa though! I hear POR is nice, but we hate cramming in one room.

hillview
01-15-2011, 09:07 PM
Wow congratulations! Can you convert the 2 nights into say 4 at a less $ hotel :)

If you want table service you should reserve but there are loads of counter service places. I might do one table service with characters if you want to and can. Crystal Palace is great in Magic Kingdom.

I'd do 2 singles (and a rider board if possible). You may want to split up and easier to get around with narrower stroller.

As pp have said lots of rides for everyone. In MK there are TONS.

ENJOY!
/hillary

billysmommy
01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
We love the Boardwalk!!! We're headed back for our 5th stay very soon. It's so nice to walk to DHS and Epcot. We head over to Epcot almost every evening after our rest for dinner and exploring World Showcase.

We've done both the Inn and Villas, both are wonderful.
For the Boardwalk Inn side ~ on your reservation for your room, request 4th or 5th floor facing Paris. It's just a request, you may or may not get it but if you get it, this is what you'll see from your room every night!!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/loricaddoo/DSC02989.jpg http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j28/loricaddoo/DSC02991.jpg

It was amazing!!! Illuminations was at 9:30 the nights we were there, we would have dinner and explore the countries, go on rides until about 9. Then we'd walk back to the hotel, get the boys in their pajamas and all ready for bed and either sit on our balcony or lie in bed with the door open and we could see and hear most of the fireworks from Illuminations.

DebbieJ
01-15-2011, 10:05 PM
We went on a work trip in June.

You will NOT be able to add the dining plan under the reservations made by DH's company. It's likely a group rate and they don't do dining plans with group rates. We were not able to add the dining plan to our trip for that reason.

You WILL be able to add extra days to the park hopper passes at a VERY reasonable rate by bringing the passes to the concierge at your resort. We added more day to a three day pass for like $15 TOTAL for the 4 of us. Do this right away before you start using them.

As for ADRs, you need them for any character dining you want to do. There are plenty of counter service/fast food type places. We did breakfast in our room as we had a small fridge. We had cereal, yogurt, fruit. Easy stuff like that.

HTH!

ETA: Your kids can ride any ride that they meet the height restrictions for. I took DS2 (9 months old at the time) on lots of rides! And I agree to take/rent two singles vs a double stroller.

KBecks
01-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Awesome information everyone, thank you! This is going to be a lot of fun!

I am concerned about my 6 year old walking...

Ordered some guide books from Amazon and getting excited about all this!

TwinFoxes
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
For guidebooks, I really, REALLY recommend "The Unofficial Guide to WDW". It will make your time in the parks much less stressful.

DebbieJ
01-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I am concerned about my 6 year old walking...

Our older DS was 6 1/2 when we went and spent a LOT of time in the Volo. DH was vehemently opposed to him riding, but WDW is a whole different animal than your local zoo. After the first day of DS's whining, DH came around quickly. So maybe a double for the younger two and a single for your older one? Even if the single is a crappy little umbrella stroller that you leave behind.

For guidebooks, I really, REALLY recommend "The Unofficial Guide to WDW". It will make your time in the parks much less stressful.

:yeahthat: We followed the touring plans in that book and our trip was awesome. Exhausting, but awesome. Another reason for the stroller for the 6 yo--you will be hustling if you follow the touring plans. Plus, you will have very long days!

I highly recommend taking midday breaks for napping and cooling off in your room, especially if you're staying on property.

crl
01-16-2011, 01:07 AM
I think 6 is iffy for needing a stroller. My 7 year old did not have one and it was completely fine. He walked everywhere without complaint and did full days at the parks, hotel pool, etc, etc. But he is a very active kid normally.

Catherine

Momof3Labs
01-16-2011, 01:42 AM
At 6yo DS1 was fine without a stroller. But it wasn't hot (we go in December), wasn't crowded, and we don't really do long days.

DebbieJ
01-16-2011, 10:38 AM
At 6yo DS1 was fine without a stroller. But it wasn't hot (we go in December), wasn't crowded, and we don't really do long days.

Good point.

We went in June (walked out the door at 7 a.m. and were instantly sweating), it was crowded, and we packed our days since it was our first real WDW trip.