PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know when the Mountain Buggy Free Rider will be out?

arivecchi
01-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Have heard different dates. Anyone have any intel?

elektra
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
I haven't even heard of the mountain buggy free rider! Do tell!

arivecchi
01-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Oh I am getting one as soon as they are available! DS1 saw the video and wants one too. :)

http://mountainbuggy.com/en/free-rider

elektra
01-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Oh the scooter thing! Ok I have heard of this but i have no intel. You would be the first person i would ask actually ;)

roseyloxs
01-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Since its on the website I have to imagine its soon. Peppy parents says its early March. They are usually on top of it, right?

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh March is right around the corner! Yipeee!

PeppyParents
01-16-2011, 01:37 AM
Since its on the website I have to imagine its soon. Peppy parents says its early March. They are usually on top of it, right?

Yep! :)

As of a couple weeks ago, that's the estimate we've heard from the manufacturer on availabillity for the Free Rider.

MamaBear
01-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Any word on whether it will work on other strollers? My 4 year old would love this!!

jacksmoma
01-16-2011, 11:26 AM
Any word on whether it will work on other strollers? My 4 year old would love this!!

i think i remember hearing it will work with other strollers with a rear axel like the mb's...!!

PeppyParents
01-16-2011, 11:51 AM

They're saying that it's only going to work with Mountain Buggy strollers upon release. However, MB also says they're looking to make the Free Rider (http://stroller411.com/blog/358/mountain-buggy-free-rider-scooter-stroller-board-2011/) compatible with other brands later in the year.

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Yep! :)

As of a couple weeks ago, that's the estimate we've heard from the manufacturer on availabillity for the Free Rider. Are you taking pre-orders?

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Any word on whether it will work on other strollers? My 4 year old would love this!!Your stash is missing a MB! Hint hint!

PeppyParents
01-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Are you taking pre-orders?

Phil & Teds (owner of Mountain Buggy) asked a handful of online retailers to be early introducers of Free Rider, and we were one of them. So yes, we're taking pre-orders.

This is actually one of our favorite new things this year... I especially love that the Duo can take two of them, while mom can still stand in the middle and push.

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 02:27 PM
Phil & Teds (owner of Mountain Buggy) asked a handful of online retailers to be early introducers of Free Rider, and we were one of them. So yes, we're taking pre-orders.

This is actually one of our favorite new things this year... I especially love that the Duo can take two of them, while mom can still stand in the middle and push. Oh yay! I will be placing a pre-order then! Which color do you like best?

Wow. That is so great about the Duo taking two! Wish I had two other kids! :ROTFLMAO:

Hmmm, now I have to decide which MB to use the Free Rider with - the Duo, Terrain or Swift. :tongue5:

pastrygirl
01-16-2011, 02:40 PM
It looks awesome! But, the weight limit is 44 pounds. My 4.5-year-old is already 40 pounds and counting!

roseyloxs
01-16-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh yay! I will be placing a pre-order then! Which color do you like best?

Wow. That is so great about the Duo taking two! Wish I had two other kids! :ROTFLMAO:

Hmmm, now I have to decide which MB to use the Free Rider with - the Duo, Terrain or Swift. :tongue5:

Sounds like you and the hubby have some business to attend to. :wink2:

I think swifty should get the first turn. Find out how it compares to the valco.

MamaBear
01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Your stash is missing a MB! Hint hint!

:yeahthat:

Convince my husband for me?

We're going to Australia in a couple of months, and I'd love to get a stroller as a souvenir :bouncy:

PeppyParents
01-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh yay! I will be placing a pre-order then! Which color do you like best?

I think it comes down to that choice we face on so many things -- does your kid get to pick her/her favorite color, or is it a fashion accessory that has to match the stroller?! :)

I didn't see pink in-person, but it looks pretty bright in the imagery. The blue is medium, black is black, and orange is a muted traffic cone.

Black would match any stroller, obviously, but it sure isn't as fun as orange or pink!

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
I am thinking of ordering the blue one since DS1 is a big fan of blue. :)

AnnieW625
01-16-2011, 10:40 PM
It looks awesome! But, the weight limit is 44 pounds. My 4.5-year-old is already 40 pounds and counting!

If they made it for the Bob that would be great, but honestly I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how much use DD1 would actually get out of it. I think I would like something that looks a bit taller too.

arivecchi
01-17-2011, 12:11 AM
My 4 yo weighs 38 pounds so 44-45 pounds seems appropriate to me. He does not gain as much weight nowadays so I think the FR should work for most 4 and 5 yos out there. I would imagine it needs to be low to the ground so that it can double as an independent scooter.

poohbear
01-17-2011, 12:19 AM
I say blue or black.

I wonder if it just stops working when your kid hits 45 lbs....:p

arivecchi
01-17-2011, 12:23 AM
I bet it explodes! :ROTFLMAO:

That's a good point though. Do scooters normally have weight limits?

poohbear
01-17-2011, 12:42 AM
http://mountainbuggy.com/en/free-rider

I'd say that little girl easily weighs 46 lbs... ;)
I'm going to guess maybe it's a guideline for the ride-on board? Does the valco board have a weight limit? I don't know, but that thing looks super cool!

PeppyParents
01-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi,

A couple things more about the Free Rider will really get you all goose bumply for it. Or at least appreciate the design that went into it!

If you think about how a stroller board needs to work, the trailing wheel needs to swivel because if it didn't swivel, the stroller wouldn't be able to pivot around on its own rear wheels... so basically the front stroller wheel needs to steer, and then the riding board also needs to steer. Right?

The genius of the Free Rider is the rear wheel. In stroller mode, it drops down to be a 360 spinny around wheel. But in scooter mode, it pops up into the board to be the fixed rear wheel a scooter needs.

I hope I explained that clearly, because that is what makes this whole approach possible, which Mountain Buggy was the first to figure out as a scooter/rider conversion!

And, these are urethane wheels on fast spinning ball bearings (e.g., like those Razor scooters), so it's definitely made to be a REAL scooter.

I'm not sure why weight limit is 44 pounds. I'm totally guessing, but it may be a safety testing thing, and not a design limitation. I really don't know on that... will try to find out.

GvilleGirl
01-17-2011, 02:28 AM
If they made it for the Bob that would be great,
:yeahthat:

arivecchi
02-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi,

A couple things more about the Free Rider will really get you all goose bumply for it. Or at least appreciate the design that went into it!

If you think about how a stroller board needs to work, the trailing wheel needs to swivel because if it didn't swivel, the stroller wouldn't be able to pivot around on its own rear wheels... so basically the front stroller wheel needs to steer, and then the riding board also needs to steer. Right?

The genius of the Free Rider is the rear wheel. In stroller mode, it drops down to be a 360 spinny around wheel. But in scooter mode, it pops up into the board to be the fixed rear wheel a scooter needs.

I hope I explained that clearly, because that is what makes this whole approach possible, which Mountain Buggy was the first to figure out as a scooter/rider conversion!

And, these are urethane wheels on fast spinning ball bearings (e.g., like those Razor scooters), so it's definitely made to be a REAL scooter.

I'm not sure why weight limit is 44 pounds. I'm totally guessing, but it may be a safety testing thing, and not a design limitation. I really don't know on that... will try to find out.I somehow missed this post! That is truly cool! I am still trying to decide whether to get blue or black since I have two boys. I will be using it with the MB Terrain.

Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.peppyparents.com/servlet/the-783/mountain-buggy-free-rider/Detail

momtoax3
02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
If using it with terry, I say black to keep that sleek black/gray vibe going.

Multimama
02-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Oooh, what a great time for this thread to get bumped. I was just looking at scooters for the summer for DS. Do you think I can just buy this to use as a scooter and hope they come out with connectors for my strollers soon...

The handle bar doesn't look adjustable, which might be a problem for scooter use though. I love the idea though. I hope it will eventually work with the BJCE, which has a brake pedal right in the center of the back axel.

arivecchi
02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
If using it with terry, I say black to keep that sleek black/gray vibe going.
Good point!

Multimama, my guess is that they would have to come out for another version for it to be compatible with other brands. Suggested solution: sell BJCE and get a MB! :tongue5:

Multimama
02-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Good point!

Multimama, my guess is that they would have to come out for another version for it to be compatible with other brands. Suggested solution: sell BJCE and get a MB! :tongue5:

Oh, I love that idea! I don't know though. On their website they say they are working on "connectors" for other brands, which seems to imply the design of the scooter would be the same and you'd just buy the connector separately, like buying a carseat adaptor. They say they are working on one for Quinny and I would love for it to work on my Zapp too. Could be great for travel!

Of course right now I only have one child so it's all a moot point, but fun to think about. :)

roseyloxs
02-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Good point!

:rotflmao:

arivecchi
02-09-2011, 02:14 PM
So just when I think DH never has an opinion about stroller accessories, he tells me that he wants the blue one for DS. He says DS will be into black as a sulky teenager soon enough and we should enjoy color while we can. :ROTFLMAO:

Multimama
02-09-2011, 02:25 PM
So just when I think DH never has an opinion about stroller accessories, he tells me that he wants the blue one for DS. He says DS will be into black as a sulky teenager soon enough and we should enjoy color while we can. :ROTFLMAO:

That is a great point! Here I was thinking I would pick black, but he is so right. :) I can't wait to hear your review.

Now I just need to have another kid and get a Swift...or a Duet! :)

PeppyParents
02-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure why weight limit is 44 pounds. I'm totally guessing, but it may be a safety testing thing, and not a design limitation. I really don't know on that... will try to find out.

Thanks for bumping this thread, arivecchi!

We were nervous about an announcement shortly after I posted that! MB then came out saying that the USA weight limit was going to be 33 pounds, instead of 44.

Apparently there was enough immediate feedback from retailers that MB was able to push through an official USA weight limit at 44 pounds again, which was announced last week. Whew!

Anyway, the 44 pound weight limit is the "official" limit for safety on the Free Rider.

And "officially" you shouldn't hang diaper bags on a stroller's handle. ;)

arivecchi
02-09-2011, 04:00 PM
PeppyParents, I placed my order for a blue free rider with your store today! Cannot wait to try it out! :wavey:

Annyeb
02-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Anyone know if this will work with older MBs? I have a 2003 Urban Double.

PeppyParents
02-09-2011, 08:45 PM
PeppyParents, I placed my order for a blue free rider with your store today! Cannot wait to try it out! :wavey:

Hey, thanks! We appreciate that! The kids get to eat today! :)

Seriously, we're excited about having it to offer too -- it's the funnest stroller add-on in the past couple years. Bummed that my youngest is already 46 pounds.

PeppyParents
02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
Anyone know if this will work with older MBs? I have a 2003 Urban Double.

Hi,

We asked for you -- we've learned from MB that it's compatible with all MB models (including yours) EXCEPT the old original Terrain (not the current model) and Breeze. Cool!

Annyeb
02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Awesome! Thanks for asking! Think I might get this for my son's 5th birthday? :bighand: Good thing he's only 30lbs!

arivecchi
03-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey, thanks! We appreciate that! The kids get to eat today! :)

Seriously, we're excited about having it to offer too -- it's the funnest stroller add-on in the past couple years. Bummed that my youngest is already 46 pounds.
Hi! :waving4:

Any updates on delivery times?

Anxiously waiting for mine!

PeppyParents
03-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Hi - we were originally expecting it around now -- should have an update on Monday.

PeppyParents
03-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Hi again,

I think we owe you a callback from a voicemail you left, based upon matching up your email address to your number of posts here. :)

We were waiting on new info before updating pre-ordered customers.

Just wanted to let you know (as well as all the other moms else eyeing the Free Rider) that we're notifying all our waiting customers today that Free Rider's release has been pushed back to May now. :(

We found out about the delay yesterday afternoon, but didn't hear a reason yet. But it sounds like it's more of a factory production delay thing than a redesign/retooling thing.

Sorry!

roseyloxs
03-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh NO! :nodno: I didn't even order one but I have been anxiously awaiting Arivecchi's review.