PDA

View Full Version : our target is getting grocery, what should i expect?

melonpan
01-15-2011, 11:16 PM
hi there!

we live out in the sticks and our local target is getting a grocery section. i asked a lady if the store was turning into a super target. she said "no, but something in between. we will have groceries but we arent physically expanding or anything like that".

well, its coming around in april and i cant wait.

can yall with supertargets (or just plain targets with grocery section) actually make one stop and get everything there? i always have to make a choice between target or my grocery store. cant go to both because my baby gets cranky getting in and out of his car seat. unfortunately i usually have to "only" go to my grocery store.

so whats it like? is the selection actually limited and ill still have to make a choice or can i drop my grocery store like a hot potato and like a rabid cult follower just go to target and only target for the rest of my life?

just curious.

Pear
01-15-2011, 11:20 PM
I could almost do all my shopping at our super target. The big shortcoming for me is the produce section. Ours is pretty small.

I only get in one stop in a day so I do get a bunch of our groceries at Targrt. Then i hit the grocer at another point in the week. It's nice because I can grab bread or milk or whatever as we need it.

TwinFoxes
01-15-2011, 11:27 PM
You won't be able to completely drop your grocery store. Our Target has a new grocery section. It has a small produce section, with mostly packaged produce, and it's very basic. It has maybe 4 small, frozen aisles, very little meat, and very little cheese. Maybe 5-6 dry goods aisles. Very, very few organic choices, if any. Pretty good dairy aisle. They basically took a corner of our Target and added groceries.

I think if you have a few things to pick up and a Target run, you could pick up the few things at Target.

ETA: Super Targets are much different than Targets that add grocery sections. Super Targets are basically full-fledged grocery stores within a Target.

DebbieJ
01-15-2011, 11:34 PM
You won't be able to completely drop your grocery store. Our Target has a new grocery section. It has a small produce section, with mostly packaged produce, and it's very basic. It has maybe 4 small, frozen aisles, very little meat, and very little cheese. Maybe 5-6 dry goods aisles. Very, very few organic choices, if any. Pretty good dairy aisle. They basically took a corner of our Target and added groceries.

I think if you have a few things to pick up and a Target run, you could pick up the few things at Target.

ETA: Super Targets are much different than Targets that add grocery sections. Super Targets are basically full-fledged grocery stores within a Target.

:yeahthat:

One of our local Targets added the grocery section and TwinFoxes describes it perfectly.

I now hate shopping at that Target because they moved so much around to make room and the new layout confuses me.

melonpan
01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
aww.

i really have to get out of the sticks and live near a supertarget.

:-D i have my priorities all straight dont i? ill start petitioning my husband to look for a new position right away.

ah well. its nice to have something out of reach.

thanks everyone!

melonpan
01-15-2011, 11:47 PM
(even if it will be more confusing, im still looking forward to it. i think i will be able to make this work for me == MORE TARGET VISITS!)

ang79
01-15-2011, 11:57 PM
I so wish we had a Super Target near us. I absolutely hate going to Wal-Mart because their extremely long lines drive me nuts and make me grumpy. But, I do find good prices on certain things there. I love my Giant grocery store, but its in the opposite direction of where I run most of my other errands or playdates.

Both of my Targets do have a small grocery section along one side of the store, but no fresh produce. I often pick up milk, bread, pretzels and other snacks when I'm at Target but I would love a fresh produce section, we go through so much fruit around here!

BayGirl2
01-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Agree with the posters above. Our Target just added "fresh grocery" and I don't even try to make it a substitute for regular groceries. Its still mostly processed food and not much organic, produce, or meats.

What annoys me is that not only did they move everything else around, I feel like there is less of everything else. I think the groceries cut into shelf space in all categories, so things I used to find aren't there anymore. But maybe I'm just imaging that.

melonpan
01-16-2011, 02:18 AM
oooh, it would make sense that every other category might have less product.

you really cant make something out of nothing, ykwim?

still it looks like i dont have much control over this (okay, i have none). since its the only target around me for hours, ill just have to learn to love whatever!

jvs195
01-16-2011, 09:50 AM
As PP's have said, it will not replace a real grocery store entirely, but has some advantages in most things you can get and if you are already there it's less trip. My grocery stores double all coupons up to $.99 and Target does not so that for me decides my main grocery shopping. They do send out decent coupons at first to lure you in but they have really short expiration dates so keep on top of them. I also agree other sections are lacking now since they just fit mine into an existing store.

TwinFoxes
01-16-2011, 10:37 AM
In my Target, it seemed to be the toiletries and home/garden sections that got smaller when groceries were added.

Corie
01-16-2011, 02:37 PM

Yes, this exactly!