PDA

View Full Version : Double stroller advice

mollyrryan
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
We are having DD2 in April 2011, and DD1 will be 21 months when DD2 is born. We have a Chicco travel system stroller, a Maclaren Kate Spade (not sure the type), and when DD1 was about 10 months old, we got a BJCE. DD1 was too long for her infant carrier at 6 months, and we didn't really use the infant carrier with the stroller. Also, we did not like how the Chicco stroller pushed. So, we never really used the Chicco stroller. Rather, we primarily used the Maclaren from birth, until we got the BJCE.
However, we now need a double. I want the option to use the infant carrier with the stroller, but I really need a double that we can use from DD2's birth without an nfant carrier. I also need a double that can fit a very large toddler ~ DD1 is currently 18 months old and 33 pounds and 36 inches tall.

It seems like most poeple choose between the BJ City Select or the Bob double. Based on the reviews here, it seems like I need a combo of both . . . any suggestions based on our use/needs?

RunnerDuck
01-16-2011, 01:07 PM
It seems like most poeple choose between the BJ City Select or the Bob double. Based on the reviews here, it seems like I need a combo of both . . . any suggestions based on our use/needs?

Exactly which features of each would you like to find in one stroller? That would help to make suggestions.

I have never seen a city select in person but just judging from on line, I don't care for it. I don't like have Baby Jogger has started to put out these fashionable strollers that really aren't at all joggers or even all terrain. If I am paying for the BJ name I want air filled tires and solidness - and the select is more fashion than all terrain. From what I can tell. And if that's your thing, that's fine... But that's what I don't like about it.

OTOH as a single it does appear to be fairly compact - whereas the other option I have in mind for you would be a Valco single with an add on toddler seat for the big one - the valco single by itself is kind of annoying to take places indoors - not SUPER annoying but more than a normal single. It's wider and longer - it's actually only marginally shorter than a Graco quattro double. OTOH it's AWESOME for walking outside.

Anyhow is that something you've considered?

The only thing I don't like about it is it's annoying to fold with the toddler seat in place... you can do it but it's bulky and doesn't stay closed.

Anyway can tyou be more specific about what you like and don't like about the BOB and the Select?

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Mountain Buggy Duo. Very narrow for a double. Huge canopies. Stylish. Metal footplate. Full recline for newborn. Takes carrycot. Bumper Bar. Awesome push. I use mine with a 23 month old and a 42 inch tall 4 yo. It is awesome. The only negative is that it has a long fold. I have used it in snow, grass, dirt, rocky paths and sand! It is pricey bit oh so worth it! (plus we can find you a deal ;))

mollyrryan
01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't know what OTOH means???
I like that the BOB would be easier to push on grass/gravel/etc. and can be used for jogging once DD2 is old enough (even though DH and I are not joggers). I have also heard that side by sides are easier to push. I like that both kids have the same "view" and have the same ability to recline.
I like that the City Select is not as wide (seems easier for shopping, which in MN, we visit the MOA a lot in the winter to get out of the house), I like that you can use it just for one or for two and keep the same frame instead of having to switch out strollers if you are just taking one kids somewhere, and I like that the City Select says that you can use it from birth (and I think the infant has to be 8 weeks or something for the BOB). It seems like you can get the City Select for a lot less than the BOB. Also, other reviews suggest that there is more head room and the seats are wider than the BOB.

mollyrryan
01-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Oh, and the BOB takes up a lot of room when folded, and the City Select takes up less. I have an Altima, so not tons of trunk space.

arivecchi
01-16-2011, 01:37 PM
I would not recommend a Select to anyone. The push is not great and I can only imagine it gets worse as the kids get heavier. In addition, Baby Jogger has quality issues. The Duo is not good for frequent car use. Maybe look at the Duallie and the MB Duet? The Duallie is not that heavy and folds in half.

RunnerDuck
01-16-2011, 02:00 PM
OTOH = on the other hand. :) (I feel like the guy in Fiddler on the Roof... "on the other hand... but on the other hand... but on the OTHER hand..." LOL)

The new Valco toddler seats do have a higher seat back. I am not entirely sure this is a great thing. I think the thing I hated most about the Valco was the kid in back gets shafted on the view. It's nice that it reclines all the way for a newborn and newborns don't care too much about looking around. But once the one in back is big enough to take notice, they can't see so well around the kid in front. Now if the kid in front is an older toddler and in and out a lot, when that kid is out, the kid in back can see more - but if you have a higher seat back, even the kid in front being out won't help so much.

If you have the Valco DOUBLE, the kids in back can see around the sides of the kid in front so not as big a deal.

I have a minivan so getting a big stroller in and out of the car is not a huge deal - but I can't imagine moving a bob in a sedan is pleasant... It does fold sort of easily (sometimes I have to fight with that red part) but it doesn't stay folded easily because they have a convoluted means of latching it - I keep meaning to pick up a short velcro strap at home depot to make this easier...

I am glad to see someone else is skeptical of the City Select. I feel like it is praised so widely here but between the lack of true BJ wheels and my epxeriences with a double turning single not being all rosy - I just don't know. (I will say at least with the select the add on seat is lower rather than higher so the kid in back isn't getting shafted - I do like that - but still. $$$ and they seem to really nickle and dime you for accessories - which is true pretty much of all the high end strollers...

Welcome to the world of the elusive search for the perfect double stroller. There really isn't one. Some are better for some situations, some are better for others. If you can afford it I think it's really best to have a dedicated exercise stroller and a dedicated car/errand stroller.

It's funny how you like that you can jog with a BOB but neither of you jog. I wonder how many moms expect to become joggers when they buy a jogging stroller... I suspect VERY few really do. I tried when my son was a baby ... but it's just not for me. I love to walk, hate to jog.

roseyloxs
01-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I would recommend the indie twin. The fold is smaller for the times it does have to go in the car (however I would recommend a second stroller for the car if you plan to do this often). Weighs only 29 lbs and is 29.5" wide meaning it fits through standard doors. I love the features of the indie twin. Adjustable footrests, huge accessible basket, infant car seat adapter included, bumper bars, cupholder. Other optional accessories are available as well like footmuffs, carrycots, and snack packs.

All this being said I have my eye on the new duet coming out that is reportedly only 25" wide!!!

WatchingThemGrow
01-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Did I read too quickly...any reason you aren't considering the BJCED? :heartbeat: mine.