PDA

View Full Version : S/O ordering birthday cakes at WDW

liz
01-16-2011, 05:10 PM
The previous thread from billysmommy got me thinking of the cake I ordered DH for his birthday this past October.
I got it as a small surprise for his 40th birthday. I totally got the idea from disboards.com.

I ordered the cake through dining services at our resort. We stayed at SSR, so I called them directly and spoke with someone in dining.
I had to send her the pictures (I wanted this specific topper that I saw on the disboards).

The cake was very expensive- 110$ to be exact. SSR does not have a bakery on site (some resorts do),
so I had to pick up the cake from the restaurant on site. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice to have someone bring it to the room.

I picked chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache frosting. The icing inside was vanilla buttercream (should have been chocolate, but oh well).
They added Heath Bar crunchies on it (again, not asked for), but it was fine. Sadly, the cake wasn't as tasty as I would have liked (!),
but it was worth it for the surprise and obviously for the cake topper. DH loved it!

Corie
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Super cool cake!! Love it! :)

billysmommy
01-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Love the cake!!!

Both boys were really pushing for me to get a Star Wars or pirate cake but I told them this is my birthday and I want a girly cake :)

I was going to get one with either Pluto or Tink on it but the white chocolate toppers are $30 so I decided I didn't want it that bad. I have an Eeyore (my favorite) figurine that I was going to bring with me to put on the cake but don't want to chance him getting broken.

spunkybaby
01-17-2011, 12:24 AM
Fun cake--thanks for sharing! :)

hellokitty
01-17-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow, cook looking cake!

AnnieW625
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
That cake is cool, but I honestly bet that you were tired of eating it by the end of your trip, and would be sad if I didn't get to take it with me if my room didn't have a fridge.

I tried looking for information just out of curiousity after Billy'sMommy's post for prices, sizes, and such and couldn't find anything.

liz
01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
That cake is cool, but I honestly bet that you were tired of eating it by the end of your trip, and would be sad if I didn't get to take it with me if my room didn't have a fridge.

I tried looking for information just out of curiousity after Billy'sMommy's post for prices, sizes, and such and couldn't find anything.

DH's birthday was towards the end of our vacation week, and I knew we wouldn't have time to finish the cake before we left. So instead, I ordered it to be ready on the day we arrived at the resort. We had a kitchen in our room, so we were able to keep the cake in our fridge. We ate most of it. The Mickey topper was made out of white chocolate, but nobody ate him :).

The cake prices vary greatly. I did a lot of research on disboards. There are a lot of beautiful cakes that are a lot less expensive than the one I ordered (the cake topper is what made the cake extra expensive).

I believe the cake thread is under the Dining heading and the cake thread is a sticky (?) or if not, do a search. That topic has a ton of responses and tons of pictures to give you ideas.

Honestly, if we weren't celebrating such a milestone birthday, I would have been happy to get a less expensive cake. I also understand that most of the big restaurants on site have cakes, ready to go. I think they were in the 30-40$ range. hth

hillview
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
The cake thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2413710

/hillary

alien_host
01-20-2011, 10:25 AM
I should look at the disboards thread, but has anyone here had success in ordering a cake that was ok for peanut and tree nut allergies? I know the bakery items at Mainstreet Bakery really aren't OK (risk of cross-contamination), but I wonder if they would be able to make a cake and guarantee it is nut safe?