PDA

View Full Version : Any reason I shouldn't get a Parkway? I think I need a booster for MY health

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Dd just turned 6. She's 49 lbs, almost 47 inches. Size 6-7 clothes I think. Not stocky or big, but not small. Just mature looking for her age. Wears adult size headband but kid size hat :)

We have an Accord '04 and an original Boulevard. (Dh's car is Civic '04 with a regular Marathon). I wanted her in the seats for as long as possible, but I'm so exhausted getting her in and out of the car, leaning over, in the cold/rain etc, tightening the straps etc. I avoid doing and many times just can't do things w/ her b/c of it.

She has a lot of activities right now with 1/2 day kindergarten. Literally, with my severe fibromyalgia, I think a booster she can get in and out of herself may REALLY help me out. I'm physically shot.

I don't know what got me thinking of a booster last night, but I started researching our Marathon and Boulevards and came on here. I saw info on the Parkway.

I'm was all gung-ho for the Parkway SGL until I read there's a Monterey.

Any reason I shouldn't get the Parkway?
Should I even research the Monterey?
I can't find a Parkway IRL at all so far. Anyone know where?
Is it ok to get it sight unseen/untried?
Babycatalog has a great Britax sale and I'd like to take advantage of it. When is it over?
I also wonder if I should get 2 or just 1 for now. Mainly she's in my car.
Is the Livia Parkway SGL hot pink?
Do I need to pull the shoulder strap all the way out and back in, to lock it? Do you all do that with the shoulder strap with a booster?
Can I use the SGL in a non Latch car?

I think she'd be compliant and could get in and out of it. We also have a highback booster (oldish) for playdates etc. She can get out of it. Getting in is hard, but that's because our Accord armrest is down (I think).

I don't want to spend a lot of energy on researching either.

Other Thoughts?

Thanks sooo much!

eta: I just saw Jools say PW is easier to tote around if necessary, that's good

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 08:30 PM
ok, so i need to get new seats now.

Boulevard DOM 3/29/05
marathon DOM 6/14/05

I doubt anything with new great Britax tech will come out between now and June, since the PW SGL just came out.

Dunno about Sunshine Kids

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I swear, I'm NOT stalking you (but I am hiding in my office from my kids!).

Any reason I shouldn't get the Parkway? Technically, no, but *my* DD isn't a fan of it and says its not as comfortable as the Monterey. We like having both of those boosters though -- the Monterey is a beast of a seat and I would not willingly travel with it. Having said that, I will NOT use the Parkway on a long road trip, I don't need any more excuses for whining from the back seat! We always take the Monterey on road trips, even if it means switching it from my vehicle to DHs. I also have a lowback booster (the model is not sold in the US) for car pooling and air travel.

Should I even research the Monterey? Yes, IMO. You should also have a look at the highback Turbobooster. IIRC, there is a specific model of the Compass that is good, but AFAIK we don't have it here and I'm not familiar with it.

Is it ok to get it sight unseen/untried? *I* wouldn't. Booster fit is important, which is quite different than buying a harnessed seat.

I also wonder if I should get 2 or just 1 for now. Mainly she's in my car. I would get one now and replace the Britax that expires in March first. Put the other Britax in the secondary car. It is nice to have the harnessed seat to fall back on -- I use it as a threat to my DD#1 (she d/n fit in the MA, but still (barely) fits in the RN, but really d/n like harnessed seats now, so it motivates her to not lean forward, etc).

Do I need to pull the shoulder strap all the way out and back in, to lock it? No, you do not need to lock the seatbelt. *I* did for our first trip around the block. DD#1 was GREAT in the booster right away, so I didn't lock it after that.

Do you all do that with the shoulder strap with a booster? I don't understand your question. A booster can NOT be used with a lap-only belt EVER. It must ONLY be used with a lap/shoulder belt. Both of your vehicles will have lap/shoulder belts in the outboard positions. IIRC, they both have lap/shoulder belts in the center position too, but I'm foggy on that. A US tech with a LATCH manual will be able to tell for sure.

Can I use the SGL in a non Latch car? Yes, you can. But, *I* wouldn 't pay for the SGL for a non LATCH vehicle unless I got a great deal. Having said that, it is REALLY nice to be able to LATCH in a booster.

I will leave the purchase questions for the US techs to answer.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Moving these questions over from your other thread:

You need to ASAP reinstall your harnessed seats from LATCH to belts. This is every important. *I* would do it before your DD rides in either vehicle again.

LATCH limits for a harnessed seat do NOT apply to a booster. The LATCH system is restraining a harnessed rider. Weight limits must be carefully followed. In a booster, the LATCH system is only restraining the BOOSTER, not the rider -- in the event of a crash, the vehicle seat belt is what is restraining the rider. The booster is only properly positioning the seat belt, not providing restraint per se.

I would get a high-backed Turbobooster as your 3rd/4th seats. Make sure you put the screws in the arm rests.

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Thank you so much!! I know you're not stalking. I really appreciate it! I actually didn't realize you were a tech until now :)

This question: "Do you all do that with the shoulder strap with a booster? " was just an extension of the previous one: "Do I need to pull the shoulder strap all the way out and back in, to lock it?" I was curious what everyone does...do you all pull the shoulder strap out to lock it each time.

DH and I thought maybe we should just get 1 Monterey and 1 PWSGL. Whichever DD likes best will be her #1 car seat. The other one will be #2 car or #3 (carpool). If she likes it tons more, we'll buy a duplicate for #2. I hope that makes sense.

Thx for your recommendation for #3 and #4!

Should I look up the '04 Accord and '04 Civic on Latch limits or do you already know for sure? We'll fix them before she rides in them tomorrow. He has to pick her up now, so he'll use the booster with a lap/shoulder belt. I guess that's the safest of the 3? He needs to go asap.

I called all the local places and couldn't find any IRL PW's. I'm assuming the same is true with Monterey. She's fit in one or the other, right?

Both are 25% off at Baby Catalog.

She's at the 79th percentile for height and the 71st percentile for weight. She's thin but not skinny.

hmmmm - more thinking

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 09:42 PM
No need to look up the LATCH limits for the Hondas. Definitely 40lbs for their LATCH limit. I researched it for my 2001 Acura sedan and my 2005 Honda Ody van. :) Your 2004 vehicles are right in the middle of those years, so yeah, its 40lbs.

I've only locked a booster (other than those first training rides) once that I can think of. It was on a long road trip and it was the one and only time DD#1 ever slouched in her Monterey. We're not quite sure how it happened -- usually she sleeps soundly in it (snoring!), but belt fit remains perfect. We saw it, I reached back and pushed her torso back in place and locked the belt. Um, my seatbelt was unbuckled while I did that....

I think getting a PW and a Monterey is a good start. Sounds like you need 3 boosters anyway. Some little kids don't fit well in the Monterey, but as I said, my DD#1 started using it at 5 when she was 40lbs (and she still is 40lbs, but that's another story). She is VERY skinny, but has a long torso and perhaps broader shoulders than you would otherwise expect given her size. Her fit is perfect. Checked nearly 2 yrs ago (wow, has it been that long?) by a tech instructor and all the newbie techs at my course.

I got the PW a year later and somewhat regret it. I got it more out of *my* curiosity. It fits her, but she d/n like it. The PW is hard for her to buckle (though I don't particularly care about that -- its in DH's truck and *he's* the one who has to help her, LOL -- she can buckle the Monterey by herself in my van and now my RAV4).

Hmmm, right now? *I* would have my DH switch to a belt install. They are REALLY easy with either of your seats.

Could he swing by Target or Walmart and pick up a TB? Well, and a screwdriver???

The choices are an 11 year old booster (which I would never in a million years recommend) vs an over-weight LATCH install of an not-quite expired seat. I dunno.

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 09:53 PM
she's home safely :)

we'll redo the carseats as soon as she's in bed

i know i'll have more questions :)

is the turbobooster comfy? why the screwdriver?

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 10:03 PM
thx for your help!

what doesn't your dd like about the PW?

Is the Secure Guard uncomfortable?

Are you concerned with submarining with the Monterey? Or do you like their sloped seat or whatever it is?

Have you (or anyone lurking) heard of any IRL places that carry either?

KrisM
01-16-2011, 10:09 PM
Screwdriver is to install the screws on the Turbo booster. They MUST be installed and way too many people don't.

Buy Buy Baby carries both Monterey and Parkway, I think. Not sure on the newest model, but in June they had the SG version. The Monterey had to be ordered but the store had one for trying in the car. I got our Parkway SG at Babies R Us. Not all have them, but some do.

We've never locked the seatbelt. DS generally skips the SG now, but on trips when he'll sleep, he uses it.

salsah
01-16-2011, 10:19 PM
i realize that everyone and every child is different, but i want to throw this out there, given your situation and reason for wanting to switch to a booster.

do you have to help your dd in and out of the seat? if she can climb into a booster and do her seat belt her self, she should be able to climb in and out a harnessed seat and do the belt herself too.

my almost 6 year old dd finds it easier to do the buckle in her harnessed seats than the car seat buckle when she is using the booster.

with the harnessed seat, she gets in and out of the seat her self -- climbs in, buckles herself (chest clip, buckle, and tightens) and then unbuckles (loosens, opens the chest clip, and unbuckles) and climbs out without any help from me. i just pull on the straps after she buckles them to check them. i can do that just by reaching in with one hand, i don't have to bend over. although i'm not in the same situation as you, i do have back problems that make bending over to help a child in/out of a car seat painful. (that is why we bought an suv, it is much easier when they are at our height. but we don't have the suv anymore, now we are using sedans.) when she rides in the booster, i found that sometimes i have to bend over and lean into the car to help her. it could just be that she needs more practice.

if you/she haven't already tried, maybe you can try to encourage her to do it herself, at least until you get a booster.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 10:20 PM
DD#1 says the PW isn't as comfortable for her. It doens't look as comfy either. I've never used the SG -- I tucked it under the cover from day 1 as she wanted nothing to do with it.

No, I am not concerned with submarining on either seat. The fit on the Monterey is excellent and the PW is also pretty good. We have have the original Monterey IIRC, its the newer ones with the sloped seat and no, I wouldn't be concerned about submarining with either of the Montereys (or any other booster) that fit my child well.

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Ok, car seat #1 - Boulevard - in my car - Accord - now switched to lap/shoulder belt. I can't believe with how diligent I've been w/ the car seat, that I didn't know/realize/remember the LATCH limit. It's been a rough couple years. We are so lucky we haven't been in any accidents!

THANKYOUTHANKYOU!

DD's in kindergarten. She's just six. Attention span and "come on let's go" is an issue. I don't help dd into the car or the seat itself. She can lock the chest locks most days, sometimes she doesn't or is too busy w/ other stuff though. She can't do both of the crotch locks (usually she can do 1, if she's paying attention). I still get in there and make sure it's loose enough for her to get her arms in and then tighten it after locking the crotch locks and then make sure the snug guard thing is in the right spot. Sometimes I can tighten the strap from the bottom (harder in the winter). She gets out all on her own.

It's hard for me physically (back, arm & stomach muscles) to lean in there, and I have vertigo with the leaning over. And we fight with her not paying attention and getting her arms out of the way...etc. With an Accord, I have to bend down more. With an SUV it'd be so much easier! (We had to get rid of my CRV before she was born :( )

thx!

salsah, oh man, i hope she can do the booster buckle then. How does your dd tighten it herself?? If she's tight, she can reach? We may have a goofy Boulevard. Tightening has always been tricky.

We'll practice with the 11 yr old booster tomorrow, with the arm rest out of the way. Either way, I gotta get new seats quickly.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 10:59 PM
The arm rest in the booster is to make sure the lap portion of the belt is properly positioned -- you need to make sure it is down. I'm not a fan of boosters with movable armrests for this reason.

*I* would pitch the seat to her. Let her pick the cover. Say "we think you are a big girl. Would you like a big girl seat? YOu have to always sit properly in it" blah blah blah. Really pitch the big girl aspect. We had zero problem getting buy in from DD#1 because of this approach.

ilovetivo
01-16-2011, 11:28 PM
Which booster has a moveable armrest?

I used to be a 5 pt harness snob, thinking is was safer. Look at me, using the LATCH for what, a year too long!! :Smackhead: Such an education these past 24 hrs!

She's thrilled to be getting new seats. DH already told her. She asked if it had "any details" :) She probably wants the patterns on the Turbo Booster. I said "Pink, no pattern." No need to have her choose :) Pink it would always be. (My preference too)

I just ordered 1 of each from Baby Catalog w/ 25% off and 4% Fatwallet: Parkway SGL and Monterey. Either way, I want LATCHES. She's never complained with any car seats or harnesses at all: the Cosco 11yr old booster (actually, she likes it's b/c it's a big kid one) nor complained w/ the booster the grandparents have (I'm sure that ones too old.), or btwn the Marathon and Blvd 5pts. I think she'll transition fine. I'm the one that has to get used to seeing her move around (normally) and not having a panic attack.

I gotta get her hands strong now :) Good thing we just started gymnastics. She's very coordinated, just not much upper body strength.

Whichever one she likes most, we'll get for the 2nd car. I want 2 latch ones for my car. And I think the 2nd one for my car I want to be moveable (like the PW) to friend's cars. Unless the PW is too hard for me and I get the Turbo Booster and keep the seatbelt on it when no one's in it. (I just read that on one of your other thread posts Melissa - Duh! I never thought of that!) Grandparents I guess we'll do the Turbo Booster, but we'll wait. They leave for FL again in the morning and won't be back til May. (Yeehaw!) My mom RARELY drives her.

Oh! Do I need one of those foot rest things so her legs aren't just dangling? Any side pocket or organizer type things that you like and/or are ok? She's been keeping crayons and paper in the armrest that we'll no longer leave down.

I just realized there's different types of Turbo Boosters...I still have more to learn

thx!!

bubbaray
01-17-2011, 12:02 AM
I was confused by the armrest -- I guess you are referring to a vehicle arm rest? I know on some boosters, the arm rests flip up. They don't on any of hte ones I've recommended.

I don't use foot rests -- just one more projectile to worry about. I don't have an organizer. DD#1 gets motion sickness, so no books or things to organize. Anything else fits in the cupholders, LOL.

ilovetivo
01-17-2011, 01:33 AM
oh sorry. Yes, I meant the car middle armrest. :)

good to know about the foot rest. Now i don't have to buy anything. I used the car armrest cupholders too :)

G'night. Thanks so much!

ilovetivo
01-17-2011, 01:45 AM
Last question,
What do I do w/ my old seats? Garbage can? Recycle w/ manufacturer?

Joolsplus2
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Maybe sell the covers from your old seats if they are in good condition? Give the seats to a friend who needs new baby gear to trade in at BRU in February (25% off coupon for any old piece of gear to buy any new piece of gear...might actually work for you if your store carries the PW and you want it...?)? Destroy them and put them in plastic garbage bags so NO ONE finds and uses them? See if your town can recycle them.
Personally, I find footstools to be absolutely imperative for a few years there (like from 7-9, when the legs are long but not touching the floor), or the kids get back pain and put their feet up on the vehicle seat for relief. I'm not worried about half a pound of plastic on my floor being a dangerous projectile, though if I were, I'd plastic tie it to the back leg of the front seat :)

hellbennt
01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
High back Booster List (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=366265)

HTH

ilovetivo
01-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Jools - I was meaning this (not the table): [url]http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533781&cmSource=Search[url]

(oh, gosh, i can't recall if we can link stuff - pls remove the space)

Is that what you mean by footrest? or are you talking about a foot stool that goes on the floor?

Thx all!

Joolsplus2
01-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Oh, this thing... http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=533781&cmSource=Search Yeah, skip that, bad idea, major projectile and looks uber-annoying for getting in and out, to boot! I really do mean a $6 plastic step stool from the potty and booster section (or $1.95 from Ikea, is what I paid for mine, lol).

ilovetivo
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Late last night, I also saw you post somewhere about filling a duffle bag w/ blankets. You don't think either would be projectile issues?

Plastic tie to leg of seat in front - with a plastic cable tie?

Joolsplus2
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, plastic cable tie was my thought. I mean, you can put anything down there that is high enough for a kiddo to rest their feet on...I've heard of foam picnic coolers or plastic shoe boxes, anything high enough so a kid can put their feet on it and have leg support, but light enough you aren't worrying it'll crash around in a crash (I can't even fathom the high speed rollover that would cause a plastic footstool to launch around in the car and poke someone's eye out or something, and I can imagine some pretty horrific crashes, that's why I've never fretted about using one, unattached :)) (Mythbusters has done some great shows on vehicle projectiles, too, that's eased my mind...I HAVE heard of a guy who got killed from an axe stored on his back package shelf, you know, where people always put a box of tissue? Sort of a sad way to die, really :(...just so eminently preventable...)

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
??? Are there any buckle extensions you recommend or are allowed? The strap attaching the buckle to the car is so short. See below...

DD LOVES the Monterey! So comfy and she loves the pink. Thx for having me look into it Melissa!

However, she's having a hard time reaching around to the buckle and getting the buckle in (Honda Accord '04). She's sitting on the passenger side. The ISO-LATCH (or whatever) is on the outside of the buckle, thus kind of shortening the length of the buckle strap. And it's floppy (unlike in SUV's). I maneuvered it so the latch strap is under the buckle, so the buckle moves freely. Not well designed by Honda.

Plus, I think the seatbelt kind of moves stiffly, unlike when I pull mine to buckle myself in.

The Parkway should be arriving today.

I'm experimenting with different "stools" I have. 9 inches is too high. 6 is too low. I have an old file box that's a touch too big. But she likes it. I taped it closed and the handle could be straped well to the car. It's snug in in the floor though. I have a few more plastic storage boxes I have laying around to check out

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
I saw this site, but don't know if any of them are "legal" or good

http://www.ifisher.com/resources.asp

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Can you post a photo? I'm having trouble figure out what the issue is. You could try having her on the other side of the car, maybe that would help. FWIW, my DD#1 has a horrible time buckling any booster in DH's truck. The issue is his truck (Toyota), not the boosters per se -- the buckle almost disappears underneath the booster when she is trying to buckle it. So, yeah, it happens (if that is the problem you are having).

I'm also wondering if you are LATCH to a real LATCH anchor. It should not be on the outside of the belt -- it should be on the INSIDE of the belt -- the distance between LATCH anchors is a set distance and in every vehicle I've seen, the LATCH anchors are in between the seat belts. I'm wondering if you are LATCHg to something else? Or using a buckle for the center seat?? Again, photos would be helpful

*I* wouldn't use an aftermarket seatbelt anything unless it had been crash tested with the particular booster I was using. JMHO.

egoldber
01-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I think it is really common for kids to have a much harder time buckling themselves into a booster than a harnessed seat. It took my older DD a few weeks to get really good at it and even now she struggles occasionally if the buckle has gotten into an awkward position.

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 03:33 PM
That is true. My experience is that in some vehicles, its the vehicle buckle, not the child, though. DD#1 could buckle herself into her booster at age 5 in my Ody, no problems. She has not had a problem with it in my RAV4 either, and not in any of the "big rig" 1ton trucks we rent every summer with a 5th wheel. Its *just* DH's truck. Weird.

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I'll try to get a picture

I think it's mainly the buckle, not the child, (although I know there's a learning curve for dd). I think if the buckle was at the end of a ridged post/belt (like in a SUV) it would be different.

It's for sure LATCHed on the LATCH. The Icon marker button on the seat back fabric is directly above it. The passenger Buckle is to the left of the LATCH icon (for the left/passenger) seat. The middle seat buckle is next to the right seat buckle.

thanks!!

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 05:02 PM
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2006-honda-accord-hybrid-at-rear-seats_100260263_m.jpg

this isn't my year accord, nor is mine leather, but the back seat looks the same. The far side is the passenger side. The 4 dots on the back seat are the LATCH indicators. The right LATCH is to the Right of the seat buckle.

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 05:04 PM
Have you tried it not LATCHd to see if she has an easier time buckling it? I'm not thrilled with the idea of the seat sitting on the buckle.

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 05:05 PM
I suppose I could not tighten the LATCH straps so much (they're not really tight anyway), but I don't think it would help.

my buckles are floppy like the above picture.

The below picture, the buckles are ridgid, which would make it much easier
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/2009-honda-accord-sedan-4-door-i4-auto-ex-l-rear-seats_100250604_l.jpg

(i can see this thread going OT really quickly)

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, those buckles are nice for booster riders, but you would have been cursing them with your convertible seat.

Try loosening the LATCH and see if moves the seat over.

(really trying to stay on top and not discuss floppy)

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 05:10 PM
I'll try to unLATCH and see what happens.

I threaded the buckle thru the LATCH strap though, so the LATCH strap is not sitting on the buckle.

Oh, and I prefer dd to sit on the passenger side, so I can reach and see her easier, than sitting behind me.

I won't get an extended. I was just wondering if that was something people do

I just called Honda. They don't carry one. The service guy said he's just seen the ones that people get online. He doesn't know of any specific brands they recommend or anything

Thank you!!

ilovetivo
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
(really trying to stay on top and not discuss floppy)

Yes, "on top" would be easier too with the newer model

Joolsplus2
01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
I hope the parkway is easier for her to buckle, or just moving the Monterey over makes it easier (Hondas have their LATCH centered towards the middle, so that's why LATCHing boosters generally say not to LATCH if it interferes with the buckle, though I haven't seen the Monterey manual to know if they say that, too).
Knowing what a PITA it is for my kids to buckle themselves into any booster and all the help I have to give them, I keep mine harnessed longer than usual for my own convenience...but it's one of those things that varies from kid to kid, I hope boostering is easier for you guys than harnessing was, once she gets used to buckling :)

o_mom
01-22-2011, 12:34 PM
http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2006-honda-accord-hybrid-at-rear-seats_100260263_m.jpg

this isn't my year accord, nor is mine leather, but the back seat looks the same. The far side is the passenger side. The 4 dots on the back seat are the LATCH indicators. The right LATCH is to the Right of the seat buckle.

OK, this is just like DH's car. The center two anchors are actually exactly the correct LATCH distance and would put the LATCH connections inside of the seatbelt path (no overlap). I know that Honda does not allow borrowing of the inner bars in a LATCH install, but for a booster, where the function of LATCH is to prevent projectile, I would leave that as a parental decision. I also, personally would not use LATCH outboard for a booster in that car because of the interference between the LATCH anchors and the seatbelt. It would NOT be OK for a harnessed seat to be installed with the inner anchors as in that case the seat is only held in by LATCH.

bubbaray
01-22-2011, 03:42 PM
OK, this is just like DH's car. The center two anchors are actually exactly the correct LATCH distance and would put the LATCH connections inside of the seatbelt path (no overlap). I know that Honda does not allow borrowing of the inner bars in a LATCH install, but for a booster, where the function of LATCH is to prevent projectile, I would leave that as a parental decision. I also, personally would not use LATCH outboard for a booster in that car because of the interference between the LATCH anchors and the seatbelt. It would NOT be OK for a harnessed seat to be installed with the inner anchors as in that case the seat is only held in by LATCH.

This is brilliant. THANK YOU.