PDA

View Full Version : Heads up when selling stuff on Craigslist

keeley146
01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to have change when you sell something on craiglist. I just sold a stroller to a guy this morning and he didn't have the exact amount and I didn't have change for him so I ended up taking less than what we had agreed upon. I honestly think he did it on purpose and I felt bad sending him to get money, but the whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Don't want any of you guys to have the same experience!

KrisM
01-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry :(.

I bet you're right though.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 07:24 PM
OK, I'm confused. He showed up with less money and you agreed to sell it to him? I have had that happen and just politely refuse. JMHO.

TwinFoxes
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
OK, I'm confused. He showed up with less money and you agreed to sell it to him? I have had that happen and just politely refuse. JMHO.

I think it was more like item was $90, he showed up with five 20s, and OP let him have it for 80 rather than have him go get change for the other 20.

I think there's a good chance he did it on purpose. :(

blondflava
01-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I bet he did it on purpose. Sorry you had to deal with that though. I buy on cl from time to time and sell as well, so far have had only positive experiences but heard weird stories too!

keeley146
01-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah, it was a graco literider I was selling for $30. He showed up with 2 20's, a 5 and 2 1's. When he showed up he asked if I would take $25 and I said I was firm on $30 so he hands me $40. I didn't have change and he shows me all he has is $27. So I took $27, when the agreed amount was $30. I know we are talking a very small amount of money. It's more the principle of it. I've only had good experiences on craigslist up until this point. I would never show up and expect someone to make change for me, maybe that's just me though.

lhafer
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I think it was more like item was $90, he showed up with five 20s, and OP let him have it for 80 rather than have him go get change for the other 20.

This is exactly why I meet in public areas. I've had this exact situation happen to me a couple of times - and once was with a stroller for $90.

The time with the stroller, I was asking $90. He showed up with $100 (all $20's). He gave me the money, and I took it to a restaurant (we were in a strip mall parking lot) and exchanged a $20 for 2 $10's, walked back out and gave him $10 back. His choices were either wait for his $10 back or pay the extra $10.

Another time, I was selling something for $30. The guy said he had just run to the ATM on his way to meet me. I didn't have change - he gave me $40 for the item I was selling.

OP - sorry that happened to you. I would have held onto the item if the difference in the amount of money mattered to you.

KBecks
01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I once went to a place and realized I did not have exact change, so I ran to a gas station, bought a soda and then had exact change to pay with, because I was not going to give more than the listed price. I think having someone go get change themselves is reasonable if they did not come prepared.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 07:50 PM
The difference didn't really matter in this case, it's the principle of it. Had it been a more expensive item I might have looked for solutions but he met me at my work so I didnt have the option of going any place. In the future I will make sure I have change and wanted to share the experience so no one else ends up here too. :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2011, 07:54 PM
It sounds like he was going to give you $40 at one point. I think it's a good PSA but I;m not sure this guy was really that in the wrong,

Beth

keeley146
01-16-2011, 07:56 PM
No, we had agreed on $30, but he didnt have the exact amount of money. He had $40 and wanted me to give him back $10, which I didnt have. He was never going to let me keep $40. My point in the entire post was to give people a heads up to bring change along so you can make change if need be so you dont have to send your buyer away to get change and have them possibly not come back or you dont have to accept less money than you had agreed upon. Does that make sense?

♥ms.pacman♥
01-16-2011, 07:58 PM
aw i totally understand your annoyance . it's not about a few bucks, it's the principle of the thing. i too absolutely HATE it when i feel like i'm being taken advantage of in these kinds of situations. IMO it totally sounds like the guy did it on purpose (since he first offered you $25 when he got there, that's already bad enough; if you had previously agreed on $30, he should not be trying to haggle again) and that would royally piss me off too if i were you. OTOH, if i were selling a CL item and the buyer who came appeared to be really struggling for $$$ i wouldn't mind at all letting them have it for cheaper or heck, even for free. It's not about the $$ at all, it's all about the principle. i'd love to help someone out who really needs it, but on the other hand i would HATE being "cornered" into giving $$, even if it's a few bucks.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
aw i totally understand your annoyance . it's not about a few bucks, it's the principle of the thing. i too absolutely HATE it when i feel like i'm being taken advantage of in these kinds of situations. IMO it totally sounds like the guy did it on purpose (since he first offered you $25 when he got there) and that would royally piss me off too if i were you. OTOH, if i were selling a CL item and the buyer who came appeared to be really struggling for $$$ i wouldn't mind at all letting them have it for cheaper or heck, even for free. It's not about the $$ at all, it's all about the principle. i'd love to help someone out who really needs it, but on the other hand i would HATE being "cornered" into giving $$, even if it's a few bucks.

You nailed it! I sold some baby bottles to a lady once who was going to use them for babies who were addicted to drugs. Once I heard the story I wanted her to have them for free because it's a good cause. In this case, he was soo not struggling. He pulled up in a super nice car and had extra money, just not exact change. I felt he did it on purpose since he offered less too. I feel negotiations need to be done ahead of time, unless you get there and the item is not as described. That was not the case here.

swrc00
01-16-2011, 08:22 PM
I have noticed a lot of people mentioning "exact amount" worded into their ads recently.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 08:26 PM
I remind people at the end of the negotiations/pick up email exchange to please bring the exact amount of cash.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I have one stroller left that I am selling and I will definitely remind them nicely to bring exact change when they pick it up! I didn't realize that needed to be said, but it certainly doesn't hurt!

wellyes
01-16-2011, 08:43 PM
"No, I don't have change, but I'll be here for another 20 minutes so you can run out and get some".

I've negotiated for lower than the asking price at a sale but never for a trumped up reason like that! Guy had to drive to your place and presumably pass a few gas stations or stores or other venues that could have given him change. It is rude for a buyer to show up without the right amount.

poohbear
01-16-2011, 08:48 PM
So here's a question for you: do you count out the money in front of the people to make sure it's all there, and if so, how do you do that (do you say something)? When I sold a stroller for over $300, the couple handed me a stack of money, I eyeballed it, but didn't sit and count it all out in front of them (I think I felt like it would be tacky. In retrospect, I think that was probably dumb, but all the money was there and I have always had good CL experiences)...

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
do you count out the money in front of the people to make sure it's all there, and if so, how do you do that (do you say something)?

Yes, absolutely.

wellyes
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
I have had people count the cash I handed over and I do not think it is rude. They have no idea who I am and if I am honest.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
I will usually fan out the bills to make sure they are all there. I've never sold anything for that much money on craigslist before so it was pretty easy to check the money without being obvious. If I am paying people I will count it for them or fan it out so they can see it's there and not feel wierd about checking. In your case with a $300 sale, I would totally count it in front of them. Even if they do think it's rude, which I doubt they would, you will never see them again so best to take caution and make sure you are getting paid fully. :)

DebbieJ
01-16-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, it was a graco literider I was selling for $30. He showed up with 2 20's, a 5 and 2 1's. When he showed up he asked if I would take $25 and I said I was firm on $30 so he hands me $40. I didn't have change and he shows me all he has is $27. So I took $27, when the agreed amount was $30. I know we are talking a very small amount of money. It's more the principle of it. I've only had good experiences on craigslist up until this point. I would never show up and expect someone to make change for me, maybe that's just me though.

Wait, you agreed on $30 and he didn't bring the correct amount? That is low.

keeley146
01-16-2011, 10:02 PM
Wait, you agreed on $30 and he didn't bring the correct amount? That is low.

Yep, that's what I'm saying!

blondflava
01-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Hehe, that reminds me.. Once I was selling our old gps on ebay, but the guy who won it was local and wanted to pay cash on pick up. I met him in front of the bank on main street and he had to go in and get change (gps was 70). Then he hands me the money (60 in twenties and the rest in 1's), and actually a few dollars was in quarters and other change. I thought it was a little funny but all money was there so I didn't mind. I got a couple used strollers (Bug for 300 and Indie for 200) and always had the agreed amount, sold a few strollers as well and never came across lowballing like that. Hopefully you sell the last stroller without any issues!

roseyloxs
01-16-2011, 11:37 PM
I sold a baby gate the other day for $75 and the guy gave me $80. I didn't count it but eyeballed it. They never asked for change so I guess he figured I didn't have change, I don't really know.

Hard situation since it sounds like the guy was a little pushy. I am not sure if he did it on purpose but it seems to me he should have given you $40 or walked away.

TwinFoxes
01-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Yes, absolutely.

:yeahthat: It wouldn't even cross my mind not to! It's not even that they could be crooks (although that's certainly one reason), people make counting mistakes. I don't know them from Adam. I wouldn't be insulted if someone counted money I gave them.

RunnerDuck
01-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I guess I am too nice, I would never dream of showing up NOT having exact change without calling on the way ("Do you have a 5?" etc) - and I always count as I hand it over to avoid akwardness. Some things just seem like common courtesy to me...

I hate when I get put on the spot to come down in price. I did for a Peg Perego high chair once, had it in my driveway, washed it, it was super clean, lady comes and I think I was asking 60, she asked if I'd take 50, something like that... ugh. I hated that chair. AT that point I was like just get it out of my face but it amazes me how people can have the balls to negotiate at the last minute like that.

crl
01-16-2011, 11:58 PM
That's just wrong. CL is so great when it works and so annoying when people are rude or are flakes.

Catherine

salsah
01-17-2011, 12:05 AM
buyers should come with exact change. they know the price before they show up, no excuses.

i was surprised when someone met me without any money. fortunately we met in front of costco (i always meet in a public place) so when he agreed to buy the stroller (after a lot of negotiating on his end) and said that he had to go get cash, i asked him if he had a credit card or personal check. he did, so we went into costco and i had him buy a costco gift card for me for the exact amount of the sale. it actually worked out nicely for both us.

veronica
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
I always write Cash and exact change only in my ads for this very reason. I also only meet at the walmart parking lot so they can get change if they like there.

OP-sorry this happened to you. I know it's only a few dollars but he definitely did it on purpose just to have the feeling that he made a good deal better.

Lesson learned, you'll be prepared for next time.

Melaine
01-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Absolutely he did it on purpose. I do not change my price on-site, ever. Earlier negotiations are ok and occasionally I will go down but once we meet, no way. I have had people give me more money because they didn't have change, but otherwise no.

KrisM
01-17-2011, 08:48 AM
buyers should come with exact change. they know the price before they show up, no excuses.

i was surprised when someone met me without any money. fortunately we met in front of costco (i always meet in a public place) so when he agreed to buy the stroller (after a lot of negotiating on his end) and said that he had to go get cash, i asked him if he had a credit card or personal check. he did, so we went into costco and i had him buy a costco gift card for me for the exact amount of the sale. it actually worked out nicely for both us.

Great solution and fast thinking. I don't think I would have come up with that idea!

Multimama
01-17-2011, 10:43 AM
Uggh. I have never sold anything on CL, but have been thinking about starting because I am trying to declutter and get rid of stuff we don't use. But these experiences don't make me feel enthusiastic about it.

I have only bought two things on Craig's List and one of them was a stroller and it has a broken/fickle lock on it and looking back I know the seller knew it was broken while she was showing me the stroller and I just hate that I feel like I got conned. It has kind of ruined my enjoyment of the stroller.

The broken/fickle lock isn't a huge deal right now, but if it were to break completely in the future the stroller might get stuck in the "open" position permanently so I think it's a big deal that the buyer should have disclosed and they should have sold it for a lower price.

So, my point is that I know exactly how you feel, OP. I probably would have bought this stroller anyway, even I knew about the lock, but I hate the feeling that the person was trying to con me and that I didn't get what I paid for. Yuck.

Melaine
01-17-2011, 11:58 AM
I know that there are a lot of bad stories about Craigslist, but I just wanted to say that I have had over 100 transactions and had some great experiences....even so far as friending a seller and having her give me piles of matching clothes for my twins! I have also had repeat buyers that just ask me to let them know when I have more clothes. We have even had playdates with one of these moms, super sweet and a great situation for all involved. I'm facebook friends with several of these mamas after meeting getting to know them a few times. I've also had 'referrals' after a transaction and gotten emails from a friend interested in buying also! On the "exact change" note, I've had a lady buy from me and said she didn't have correct change. She apologized and let me keep the extra $10 no problem.
I have had a couple negative experiences, too, but nothing to discourage me from using CL primarily to sell our unneeded stuff. It works great for me. I have posted tips in the past, I do think there are a few things you can do to weed out potential "flakes". I'd be glad to look up those threads if anyone is interested.

Multimama
01-17-2011, 12:04 PM
I'd love to read your threads. I just donated a bunch of clothes because selling on CL felt too overwhelming, but I am having some donator's remorse. I would love some extra cash, but don't want to waste my time or get scammed.

keeley146
01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Ugh, I'm so done with craigslist for a while! Now I have people trying to lowball me on the last stroller I'm selling. I've got it listed for $80 and people are emailing asking if I'd take $40. Uh, no! It's borderline insulting! Oh well.

lhafer
01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Ugh, I'm so done with craigslist for a while! Now I have people trying to lowball me on the last stroller I'm selling. I've got it listed for $80 and people are emailing asking if I'd take $40. Uh, no! It's borderline insulting! Oh well.

I hate that. And it is insulting. Unless I state OBO (or best offer), then don't try to come in under what I'm asking. If you can't afford what I'm asking then don't buy it!!! Sometimes I will take something off just for that reason, what a day or 2 and repost. Then I get a whole new slew of people, and generally they are better.

purpelina
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
I bought and sold on cl for 8 years. Only a couple of people / transactions gave me bad aftertaste, otherwise it's been great. I posted a rant in 2009 bugaboo thread.... But that's about it.

keeley146
01-17-2011, 01:04 PM
That's not a bad idea. Maybe I will re-list it. I didn't have photos up initially so I think it would be better to relist now anyway.

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
I generally price things assuming people are going to ask for $10 off or so. That said I also find it insulting when they ask for half off what I am asking. I tend to ask for half of new, barring it being a really new, unused, or hot item - in which case I ask more - or a kinda not so great condition item in which case I will ask less - which I think is really fair. I can handle being talked down 5-10 off of that - but when they want it for what amounts to 1/4 of new, and it's in great condition? Umm, no.

keeley146
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be insulted if she came back asking for it for $70 instead of the $80 asking price, but $40 isn't going to happen. I guess because of the anonymity of craigslist, people don't care if they are insulting. They figure it's worth a try.

strollerqueen
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Recently, I had a CL buyer agree to meet me at a certain time. Then, she calls hours earlier and says it's now or never. I say OK. Then, she has her DH call repeatedly saying they are lost, and need directions. I mean like every 5 minutes. Then they get here, take one look at the item, and ask "Where's the closest liquor store?" I'm like, um, what? "The nearest liquor store. Where is it?" I said "What, my item wants to make you drink? " She stares at me. "Is there a liquor store near here?" She asks again. So i tell her where it is. She runs out the door, with her whole big family in tow. Never see her again. :ROTFLMAO:

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Recently, I had a CL buyer agree to meet me at a certain time. Then, she calls hours earlier and says it's now or never. I say OK. Then, she has her DH call repeatedly saying they are lost, and need directions. I mean like every 5 minutes. Then they get here, take one look at the item, and ask "Where's the closest liquor store?" I'm like, um, what? "The nearest liquor store. Where is it?" I said "What, my item wants to make you drink? " She stares at me. "Is there a liquor store near here?" She asks again. So i tell her where it is. She runs out the door, with her whole big family in tow. Never see her again. :ROTFLMAO:

Wow, that's bizarre.

KrisM
01-17-2011, 02:20 PM
I have posted tips in the past, I do think there are a few things you can do to weed out potential "flakes". I'd be glad to look up those threads if anyone is interested.

I'm interested. I need to move some stuff out and need any tips you have!

Thanks!

veronica
01-17-2011, 03:19 PM
What on Earth were you selling?:hysterical:

She must have replied to the wrong post......

Melaine
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok, here are some threads that have CL tips:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=356458&highlight=craigslist
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=371024&highlight=craigslist
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=346242&highlight=craigslist

crl
01-17-2011, 03:50 PM

That's almost worth it just to have the story.

I hate lowballs too. Negotiate, fine. But when it retails for $500 and I've listed it in excellent used condition, less than a year old, for $300, don't offer me $200. I was insulted. And I sold it a couple of days later for $275.

Catherine

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
One of my weirdest CL dealings also involved a stroller. Not as weird as the drinking lady but...

I was selling a Valco runabout single w/ toddler seat, hitch hiker, and matching diaper bag. Asking $250. Lady emails me and says "call me in the morning."

OK...

I call at 8ish. She is like can I come this morning? I said, well, I have to leave my house by 9, if you can be here by then, sure. She says she will try - and will I take a check? Ummm... normally, no, but OK, it's last minute, she has 3 kids, I know what it's like to get out the door with 3 kids, let alone stop for money - I say OK, but just so you know I have cops in my family, we WILL find you if the check if bad - I am going to want your license #, your DL #, etc. She got all huffy and was like, "I'm a MOM, I wouldn't try to rip you off."

Lady, moms are NOT immune from doing jerky things.

So 9 o'clock comes and goes... no word from her. Ugh!

9:15 - I call her, leave a message, and I leave. Whatever.

That evening I get an email, so sorry, I just couldn't get out the door in time, 3 kids, so hard, blah blah blah, can we set something else up... I'm thinking, lady, do NOT pull the it's so hard with 3 kids card with me. YES it is hard. YES it takes 30 minutes to do what should take 10. But pick up the damn phone and tell me you're running late. That takes you 10 seconds.

I didn't even reply.

Two days later she emails from a different account pretending to be someone else - but used the same phone number. Idiot.

Two days after that, someone emailed, showed up, handed me cash, exact amount, took the stroller. I could have hugged her.

golightly1118
01-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Strollerqueen, that's hysterical. What the heck were you trying to sell to her?

These stories are why I have yet to try to sell anything on Craigslist. Apart from the fact that I live in Gracoland (aka-no one will buy anything else!) I can't imagine dealing with some of these people. I thought about listing my snap n go, but figure I'd rather just keep it around for number 2 or for a loaner should a friend need it.

KrisM
01-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Ok, here are some threads that have CL tips:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=356458&highlight=craigslist
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=371024&highlight=craigslist
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=346242&highlight=craigslist

Thanks Melaine. I have stuff sorted into bags and photographed and will list some tonight. I need to start moving out!

vonfirmath
01-17-2011, 06:16 PM

I would have taken $100. His loss.
That's what I paid the one time I did not have exact change -- I paid the closest I could to the price that was OVER, not expecting the people to have change (and it might have been paying $20 for a $10 item because I got the $20s out of a ATM and didn't have time to get change)

strollerqueen
01-17-2011, 07:58 PM
Strollerqueen, that's hysterical. What the heck were you trying to sell to her?

These stories are why I have yet to try to sell anything on Craigslist. Apart from the fact that I live in Gracoland (aka-no one will buy anything else!) I can't imagine dealing with some of these people. I thought about listing my snap n go, but figure I'd rather just keep it around for number 2 or for a loaner should a friend need it.

You know, I heard her DH mumbling something about having to get money. Which I don't understand because A.) Why would you come to buy something with no money in your pocket? and B.) Since when is a liquor store a bank?:dizzy::rolleye0014:

Multimama
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I admit that I lowballed someone on CL once for his stroller. I really, really wanted it and couldn't pay the asking price so I figured I'd give it a shot. He was really nice about it and we had a laugh. But I didn't get the stroller. It was soooo pretty too.

dec756
01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
ive had someone give me $3 more because of no change so it can work either way i suppose. i doubt someone would try to do this on purpose

golightly1118
01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
You know, I heard her DH mumbling something about having to get money. Which I don't understand because A.) Why would you come to buy something with no money in your pocket? and B.) Since when is a liquor store a bank?

Maybe the ATM's in liquor stores are the only ones he knows about? I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here.

Melanie
01-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up to have change when you sell something on craiglist. I just sold a stroller to a guy this morning and he didn't have the exact amount and I didn't have change for him so I ended up taking less than what we had agreed upon. I honestly think he did it on purpose and I felt bad sending him to get money, but the whole thing left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Don't want any of you guys to have the same experience!

I've had that happen before, too and I agree with you!

I had someone show up to buy something...say they wanted it and would be back the next day with the money. Biggest shocker - they actually DID! Now, ITA, you don't come without the money, that's annoying and presumptuous. I also don't want someone showing up and then trying to talk me down (unless the condition wasn't as expected).

I had a really bad stroller transaction when I went against my better judgement and gave someone my home address - NEVER AGAIN! I swear this lady was a total nutjob and thought she was going to come back and do damage.