PDA

View Full Version : What dishwashing detergent to use besides Cascade?

viba424
01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
We noticed that our glasses have been looking terrible lately, coming out white and cloudy and weve spent a lot of money on cleaners. Now I realize that people are complaining that Cascade powder has gone phosphate free, which seems to be the culprit.

We are looking to switch. What kind of detergent would you recommend?

lhafer
01-16-2011, 07:51 PM
No help to you here. I use Cascade Complete and my glasses always look very clean and spot free. I hate the little packets though. I use the box of powder.

viba424
01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
No help to you here. I use Cascade Complete and my glasses always look very clean and spot free. I hate the little packets though. I use the box of powder.

Is cascade complete a gel? Maybe I could give that a try. We have been using just basic cascade powder.

OOps! You said it is the powder. Duh!

lhafer
01-16-2011, 08:01 PM
It's available in a gel, but I use the powder version. http://www.cascadeclean.com/en_US/completegel.do

Kindra178
01-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Costco Kirkland brand or Trader Joes.

catsnkid
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
we use the finish tabs, there was a recent coupon of by one get one free at bjs.

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 08:10 PM
We use the Finish tabs (previously called Electrosol). ETA: We have had poor luck with Kirkland and Method. Cascade is OK, I find the Finish does as good/better job and is cheaper.

viba424
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Do you still need to buy jet dry if you use the Finish Tabs?

vludmilla
01-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I like ecover tabs

bubbaray
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Do you still need to buy jet dry if you use the Finish Tabs?

No, its built in now -- that is the red dot in the middle IIRC.

AnnieW625
01-16-2011, 10:28 PM
I was a Cascade powder user for years until we bought our house and the owners left behind some Cascade gel, and honestly we never looked back (the powder is still underneath my sink because I don't know how to dispose of it:rotflmao:). I use either Cascade gel or the Cascade Complete Gel. I tried the gel version of Electrosol and didn't like it.

If your water is really hard you are going to have spots. My mom complains about this too, and she tried the gel and got the same results as the powder.

jillc
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Just read some similar old posts a few weeks ago & people were raving about a product called Lemi Shine that you add to your dishwasher w/your detergent. It helps to soften hard water & significantly decreases the white spots that detergent had been leaving behind!! We just found it at Target recently, and it has made a HUGE difference. Soooo much better!

roobee
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
I use finish powder with some Lemi-Shine powder sprinkled in. The Lemi-Shine cutls the cloudy.

fauve01
01-16-2011, 11:42 PM
My glasses looked awful until i got my water softener fixed. Just thought i'd throw that out there in case hard water is an issue where you live.

Less soap may help too.

btw, sometimes the cloudiness on the glassware is permanent (called "etching") and it can't be fixed.

kcimato
01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
I asked this question a few weeks back also. We had been using Kirkland powder and they don't make it anymore. DH even called them about it. It was made by Sun corp.

A lot of people recommended Cascade. We bought the Cascade complete tablets. So far so good. We have hard water also so I am hoping they the glasses will still stay shiny. We have never liked the Gel products.