PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing? Maternity Clothing Search

Claki
01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
I am pregnant in a different season this time. And I wore the same three or four outfits so many times last pregnancy that my stuff isn't in that great of shape. I am having trouble finding new pieces that I like. For the most part, I am not interested in paying $50 for maternity tops and $80 for maternity pants. But the quality and style at Motherhood Maternity is not cutting it. I find Old Navy to be hit or miss, but their work clothes look cheap to me. I had great luck finding casual wear at Shade last time, but they are currently dark. I ordered a couple pieces from Ann Taylor Loft last time, but nothing I ordered fit and i had to pay to send it back. So I'm afraid to order there again. Besides, most of ATL maternity seems to be other brands they carry. And most of the GAP maternity does not fit me well. I like the style but I can't pull off their clothes, they must be for tall, flat chested pregnant women. And the styles in the tiny, tiny maternity sections at local department stores are very lacking.

What am I missing? There have to be options for stylish, affordable maternity wear?

SnuggleBuggles
01-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Kohls' worked for me as did ON. I wore a lot of Target and a good number of hand me downs. Work the mommy network! I bet that there are moms out there with some clothes just sitting there as they are in between pregnancies. :)

Beth

mikala
01-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I had a hard time with this when I was pregnant as well. I really despised Motherhood quality and their crappy return policy but was dismayed by the local alternatives.

I eventually cobbled together a wardrobe from a bunch of different sources. Some of my dressier items came from local consignment stores, some Old Navy and Gap, some Kohl's clearance, some JC Penney clearance in-store and online, some sized up regular H&M, some Pea in the Pod from Macy's on clearance. I also got some hand-me down dress clothes from a close friend. You barely wear the stuff so it can definitely last more than one pregnancy.

Good luck!

DebbieJ
01-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Kohl's and Target were my staples.

calebsmama03
01-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I invested in 2 nice pr of jeans (both Gap) - a wider leg and a "skinny" style, a few pr of cheap leggings from ON (the regular size fit better than the maternity, even over my bump) and a few long, drapey sweaters (form the non-maternity sections) to layer over tees and camis. My go-to items for the past month or so have been the Gap Purebody tees and tanks. They have ruched sides that are SO flattering and they hold their shape without stretching out weirdly. I hate the tent look that ON has to their maternity tees - so frumpy! These have some lycra so they cling in the right spots and make it obvious you're pg and not just overeating!

My Target has a poor selection so I never find anything cute there, and Kohl's doesn't carry my size in clothing since I'm on the smaller side, so I generally don't shop there.

I know you said you weren't thrilled with Gap in general but wanted to point out the few pieces I've gotten there and loved just in case you happened to overlook them. If you do decide you need something from there PM me. I have an extra code for 20% off maternity.

viba424
01-20-2011, 10:00 PM
I wish I was pregnant when I found this website - Id buy it all. I know the kids stuff is amazing quality and they're having a great sale right now.

http://www.polarnopyretusa.com/mama.html

DrSally
01-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Target, but esp. online. They have a much bigger selection of nice separates online and the prices are great.

BabbyO
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
Kohl's and Target (Target has been expanding their maternity section in the last couple of years) were also my staples.

However, in 2009 when I was PG with DS, I found almost all of my work pants at Sears. They were a decent quality and I know I only paid $20 - $25/ea for them. I think I had 4 pair and I wore them for every week from about 4 mo to 9 mo. They're in nice enough shape for me to wear again this time.

MizMojoLaveau
01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
My last Boden catalog said Maternity line coming soon, but not yet:(

Claki
01-23-2011, 01:32 PM
I appreciate everybody's suggestions so much. I am re-energized. The maternity section at my local Target is very small and IMHO, overpriced, but next time I'm in another neighborhood I will check their Target's maternity to see if they offer more. I'm also not thrilled with my local Kohls.

I had no idea Polarn O Pyret had maternity! I will get a couple tops from there. And keep checking to see when Boden's line becomes available.

zag95
01-23-2011, 04:15 PM
try checking out JcPenney both in store and online- you can ship to store, try on the clothes and return them, if they don't work- I don't think shipping to store costs you anything (free) as far as I recall!

GL!

trales
01-24-2011, 10:12 AM
try checking out JcPenney both in store and online- you can ship to store, try on the clothes and return them, if they don't work- I don't think shipping to store costs you anything (free) as far as I recall!
:yeahthat:

Love the selection Penney's had online. I would buy a ton, try it on at home and then take to the store what I did not like/ did not fit.

sweet_pea
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Love the selection Penney's had online. I would buy a ton, try it on at home and then take to the store what I did not like/ did not fit.

Same here. I found some nice basics on their website which weren't available in the stores in my area. It was also easy to find promo codes for JCPenney on site like retailmenot, so I'd usually get a discount on my order.