PDA

View Full Version : Procrastinator's Challenge

niccig
01-17-2011, 01:50 PM
I know we have some procrastinators here on the board. I posted in the Lounge about needing help with being disciplined, and that got me thinking about a challenge to kick start a new attitude.

Here's the New Yorker article that was posted in the Lounge. I did find this gave me some insight into why I put things off.
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2010/10/11/101011crbo_books_surowiecki

So post something from your To Do list that you have been procrastinating over. Then do it. Report back on how long/difficult it actually was, and if all the anxiety over doing it/putting it off was worth it.

Deadline Monday 24th January

Nicci

larig
01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
I'm totally in!
ordering the 2011 picture calendars--I'm over 2 weeks late!!!

niccig
01-17-2011, 01:55 PM
My Procrastinated items.

1. Get someone in to do maintenance on the furnace - I didn't do it last year or the year before. It's working fine, but won't be if I don't get someone to make minor repairs. Reason for procrastinating - have to find a company to use. Solution - I am a member of Angies List, so I can find someone.

2. Take my car to be serviced. Reason for procrastinating - I use an independent mechanic and have to drop it off, then walk to mall/coffee shop to wait and I think I'm too busy to find a morning to do this. Solution - take laptop so can sit and work while wait for car.

3. Take car for wheel alignment/check tyres - pretty sure need to be rotated or new tires. Reason for procrastination - think I need new tyres, and I don't know what I need. Solution - ask indep. mechanic that I do trust, what I need to do about the tires. Must do it before go away to weekend in mountains with snow.

KrisM
01-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Great challenge. I wish I had read this an hour ago.

Today I hung curtains in my bathroom that I bought about 3 years ago. They and the rod have been sitting in the bathroom for nearly that long. DH was supposed to hang them, but clearly that is not happening. So, they're up. I like them.

1. ebay or CL - I have a pile of stuff to list somewhere. I need to go through and make sure I really want to sell what's in the pile and anything else will just get donated. I'll do 10 items by the 24th.

2. I want to online banking from my bank account and keep thinking I'll figure it out. Just haven't sat down to do it.

KrisM
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Great challenge. I wish I had read this an hour ago.

Today I hung curtains in my bathroom that I bought about 3 years ago. They and the rod have been sitting in the bathroom for nearly that long. DH was supposed to hang them, but clearly that is not happening. So, they're up. I like them.

1. ebay or CL - I have a pile of stuff to list somewhere. I need to go through and make sure I really want to sell what's in the pile and anything else will just get donated. I'll do 10 items by the 24th.

2. I want to online banking from my bank account and keep thinking I'll figure it out. Just haven't sat down to do it.

Got a few things, but not 10, on CL last night. No hits yet. Darn!

And, I read the info on the banking. I even set up one bill. I tried to do another, but there isn't a street address where the bill goes and I'm stuck. I guess now, I just set them up as I get them in, right?

niccig
01-19-2011, 06:33 PM
My Procrastinated items.

1. Get someone in to do maintenance on the furnace - I didn't do it last year or the year before. It's working fine, but won't be if I don't get someone to make minor repairs. Reason for procrastinating - have to find a company to use. Solution - I am a member of Angies List, so I can find someone.

2. Take my car to be serviced. Reason for procrastinating - I use an independent mechanic and have to drop it off, then walk to mall/coffee shop to wait and I think I'm too busy to find a morning to do this. Solution - take laptop so can sit and work while wait for car.

3. Take car for wheel alignment/check tyres - pretty sure need to be rotated or new tires. Reason for procrastination - think I need new tyres, and I don't know what I need. Solution - ask indep. mechanic that I do trust, what I need to do about the tires. Must do it before go away to weekend in mountains with snow.

I have an appt. for the car on Monday morning, I'll ask about the tires then and take the car to the tire place later that day or the next day.

Still need to call someone about the furnace.

MIL was in town, so I didn't do anything Monday and Tuesday - perfect excuse to not make a phone call...NOT.

niccig
01-19-2011, 06:35 PM
And, I read the info on the banking. I even set up one bill. I tried to do another, but there isn't a street address where the bill goes and I'm stuck. I guess now, I just set them up as I get them in, right?

There's no address to send the bill too? Not even a PO Box?

I would do them as they come in, it's easy enough to add or edit. It has saved me a lot of time now that it's all on bill pay.

npace19147
01-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I've been procrastinating on completing the paperwork for my ADHD evaluation. :hysterical:

Seriously, my appt is Feb 4 and I need to get it done.

KrisM
01-21-2011, 10:24 PM
There's no address to send the bill too? Not even a PO Box?

I would do them as they come in, it's easy enough to add or edit. It has saved me a lot of time now that it's all on bill pay.

Nope, just the company name and city, state, zip. I even looked on their webpage and that's what it says. So, I picked the choice that matched a PO Box because my parents picked that one and it works. Yes, my MOM uses online bill paying and I am just starting. Ugh.

So, I have 3 bills set up to pay now. And, I've sold 2 things on ebay, but nothing sold on CL yet. I hope to list more things this weekend!

KrisM
01-24-2011, 03:11 PM
How'd people do? I got both my items done. Even sold 2 things that I listed! :yay: Online banking is set up and I even paid 1 bill already. Not sure why I waited so long for that one!

niccig
01-25-2011, 04:10 AM
Car got serviced.
Working on the tires this week, should be done by Friday.
Furnace company is next week - I can't be home for their available times this week...

I did an extra one - made DS's annual exam appointment, only be 5 weeks late on that.

I need to add 2 more..
1. Set up ING bank account
2. Make DS's dentist appointment