PDA

View Full Version : Bath chair/solution for 6+ month old

kaharris83
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
We have been bathing DS using the Leachco safer bather pillow. It's been great, worked perfect in the sink when he first came home and works just as well in the big tub. The last few times I've given DS a bath he strains and wants to sit up in the tub. The pillow we have doesn't really work well for that so I'm wondering what others use to help their LO's sit up in the tub. I found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Papillon-Baby-Bath-Ring-Seat/dp/B0047RX2DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1295290947&sr=8-1

and it looks interesting but says it's for 10 months and up. I could just try to hold him up while he's in there but when he's wet and slippery I'm afraid he's going to sqwirm out of my hands and hurt himself. Anyone have anything they use that works well?

neeleymartin
01-17-2011, 03:09 PM
i may not be much help...but, we used the same item and wanted a chair as well to help with sitting. we got gobs of advice on this board. lots of people here just hold the babe. it is also helpful to put a very small amount of water in the tub, an inch or so. this amount of water is just as much fun and much safer. it's so low the little one is not as buoyant. those baby tummys are like swim bubbles.

others her actually get in the tub with the lo. i did not. but many, many, here do just that.

this stage passes so quickly, you will be surprised as how quickly they learn to sit, in the tub and otherwise. additionally, if your tub is not textured, just put a washcloth (adult size) or hand towel under the bum, it will remove the slip factor.

hope the response helps you. i LOVED my leacho for the early days. such a great product.

edited to add: i looked at your link, looks cool in form, but i wonder if the function would be that great. babies are so top-heavy, i imagine them tipping right out of it. better to stay close and hang in there, jmho.

wendibird22
01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Once both DDs were sitting up or at least grabbing the side of the baby tub and pulling themselves up we switched to just bathing them in the big tube. Like PP said, an inch or two of water and one hand on them and you are good to go.

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I always felt like bath seat type devices just made it harder to wash the baby. I just knelt by the tub, washed, rinsed, and took the kid out - didn't feel much need to let them hang out and play at that age. Once they can sit well without capsizing, I let them play more - but early on I just say get in, get out, and get on with it. We needs more bath gadgets getting wet and taking up space and having to sit around to dry?

katydid1971
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
We had this and loved it.
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-White-Hot-Inflatable-Duck/dp/B000066665/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1295293883&sr=1-1

wimama
01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
We used a Eurotub from the newborn stage to at least 18 months old or so. It was so much easier just to fill up the Eurotub, since it takes less water to fill. And they can hold on and be more secure when sitting in it. The thing is big though.

http://www.amazon.com/Primo-340W-EuroBath-Pearl-White/dp/B000056OV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1295296724&sr=1-1

Katigre
01-17-2011, 04:46 PM
I rarely bathed my babies, I brought them into the shower instead and they played on the floor. if he's able to sit I'd try that.

hbridge
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
We used a rectangular laundry basket placed in the tub; it had sides for DC to hold onto and contained the toys. It worked great and can be reused when DC outgrows it.

happymom
01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-White-Hot-Inflatable-Duck/dp/B000066665/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1295293883&sr=1-1

:yeahthat: I second this recommendation. Buy one now, and if your DS isn't ready for it yet, he will be soon. DD loved it, and so did everyone I recommended it too.

swrc00
01-17-2011, 09:55 PM

:yeahthat:

We used this as well! It also great for travel.

weech
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
We used a Eurotub from the newborn stage to at least 18 months old or so. It was so much easier just to fill up the Eurotub, since it takes less water to fill. And they can hold on and be more secure when sitting in it. The thing is big though.

http://www.amazon.com/Primo-340W-EuroBath-Pearl-White/dp/B000056OV0/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1295296724&sr=1-1

:yeahthat: We have this tub and love it. Super easy. We use it in the tub, but the nanny likes to take it downstairs and use it in the kitchen/living area.

kaharris83
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! I'll run them by DH and see what he thinks. I have thought about taking him in the shower, especially on the days when it seems like that would be the only way I'd get a shower, but he's not sitting on his own consistently quite yet and I love my showers to be just about scalding. Guess I'll have to learn to take cooler showers and maybe give that a try.

The Eurotub looks great but I'm afraid DH will say we have no where to put it. The inflatable duck looks good too, especially since we travel quite a bit, but I'm concerned about the PVC and phtalates in those types of things.

newg
01-18-2011, 03:21 PM
We have this tub. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2403667

DD2 can't quite sit up on her own yet, so I have her sit on the side with the slight incline...........and there's a little "speed bump" in the middle to keep her from slipping down. Once she can sit up better I"ll switch her to the other side.

twodogs
01-22-2011, 02:04 AM
Loved my Euro Tub! I got a 3M large hook, mounted it to the back "wall" of the shower/bath tub (basically across from where the faucet is, so behind your back if you are standing in the tub facing the faucet) and hung the tub from there when not in use. It is a space you never use otherwise, and then it can drip dry right into your regular bath tub. I used the 3M hook that easily releases when you are done (you pull that white tab down and it comes right off the wall).

AnnieW625
01-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Another Euro Tub lover, still using it at almost 9 mos. old. We bought it when DD2 was 2 mos. old. It is big so it spends most of it's time on the back porch, but it's great and I love it.

Melaine
01-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Yes yes yes to the primo bath. Loved it. We used it until the girls were about 2.

lowrioh
01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Another Primo Eurobath fan here. We used it with DD1 until she was ~14 months and just started using it for DD2. The only reason we stopped using it with DD1 at 14 months is that she wanted to climb out of it.
I know people who have average size kids who have used it until they were 2.5.

We also had the inflatable duck one at my parents house. For travel it was great but I found that DD1 outgrew it really quickly and it didn't provide a ton of support when she wasn't sitting up well.

We used it in our small house and just stored in the tub...when we were going to shower we just took it out and put it on the floor. No big deal.

lowrioh
01-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Another Primo Eurobath fan here. We used it with DD1 until she was ~14 months and just started using it for DD2. The only reason we stopped using it with DD1 at 14 months is that she wanted to climb out of it.
I know people who have average size kids who have used it until they were 2.5.

We also had the inflatable duck one at my parents house. For travel it was great but I found that DD1 outgrew it really quickly and it didn't provide a ton of support when she wasn't sitting up well.

We used it in our small house and just stored in the tub...when we were going to shower we just took it out and put it on the floor. No big deal.