PDA

View Full Version : Reaction to California Baby Products??

choopi
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
I have been trying to find some bath products for my daughter that won't irritate MY skin. My dermatologist recommended to look for soaps that are fragrance free and don't have cocamide or cocopropyl benzine (I think that's the name!)

I bought the California Baby Super Sensitive Hair/Body Wash and the Super Sensitive bubbles. Even though they're unscented, I don't really like the fragrance. The real problem, though, is that they seem irritate our skin. My lips started burning when I took a bath with her, and also burned when I put my lips on her freshly washed hair. My DD also has had new red blotches son her cheeks and new dry patches since we started using the products. She's never had sensitivity to anything before.

I'm so bummed out because people seem to LOVE these products!!! Has anyone else had sensitivity to California Baby? Any product recommendations for liquid hair/body wash or bubble bath?

RunnerDuck
01-17-2011, 11:35 PM
We used the calendula stuff on my son and while he didn't react BADLY to it, it also did nothing for his eczema. His eczema looked sort of half improved, but I guess was still itchy ... he was scratching and developed a staph infection all over his legs. I wouldn't say CB is bad, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. YMMV. I love how it smells, though... the lavender stuff...

Are you looking for something tear-free for kids, or an adult product?

kaharris83
01-18-2011, 02:20 AM
We use/d the Super Sensitive body wash too and the lotion. DS developed a rash on his back and arms. Sort of a dry skin thing but it gets red and blotchy after a bath. I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what has been causing it so I switched to Dr. Bronner's Castile Baby Wash, and it got better but didn't clear so I'm not sure the CA Baby is our culprit. I've also switched detergent from one frangrance free, dye free to another. Our pedi was no help, "Babies get rashes and there's almost never a way for us to figure out what causes them". The lotion is all I can use on my hands for the ridiculously dryness I get from washing bottles and breast pump parts all day long.

amldaley
01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
DD had a terrible reaction to the diaper cream as a newborn.

brgnmom
01-18-2011, 02:39 AM
We use/d the Super Sensitive body wash too and the lotion. DS developed a rash on his back and arms. Sort of a dry skin thing but it gets red and blotchy after a bath. I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what has been causing it so I switched to Dr. Bronner's Castile Baby Wash, and it got better but didn't clear so I'm not sure the CA Baby is our culprit. I've also switched detergent from one frangrance free, dye free to another. Our pedi was no help, "Babies get rashes and there's almost never a way for us to figure out what causes them". The lotion is all I can use on my hands for the ridiculously dryness I get from washing bottles and breast pump parts all day long.

did you end up finding another brand that your DS doesn't react towards? I also noticed that my DS has started to develop an itchy rash after using the new large bottle of super sensitive California body wash that I just bought from target... hmm. I'm thinking about switching him to Dove (this is the brand that the pediatrician recommended per a dermatologist's advice for treating his own son's sensitive skin condition).

kaharris83
01-18-2011, 02:53 AM
I always check:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?maincat=skin+care+%28baby%29
when I'm looking for something for our skincare. I try to get products that are rated as 0's and 1's. When he was newborn we used the Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild liquid castile soap and his skin was never irritated. I switched to the CA Baby and used it fine for a few months because I loved the lotion and then the rash developed. I've switched back to the Dr. Bronner's and the rash hasn't worsened or disappeared, but I don't think he's had a reaction to that. It's a little different than normal soap because it doesn't have chemicals in it that make it suds up but I use it and find it to be quite gentle on my skin, I have lots of problems with contact dermatitis since pregnancy and am very sensitive to chemicals. You can get it from Whole Foods or Amazon.

brgnmom
01-18-2011, 03:07 AM
I always check:
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?maincat=skin+care+%28baby%29
when I'm looking for something for our skincare. I try to get products that are rated as 0's and 1's. When he was newborn we used the Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild liquid castile soap and his skin was never irritated. I switched to the CA Baby and used it fine for a few months because I loved the lotion and then the rash developed. I've switched back to the Dr. Bronner's and the rash hasn't worsened or disappeared, but I don't think he's had a reaction to that. It's a little different than normal soap because it doesn't have chemicals in it that make it suds up but I use it and find it to be quite gentle on my skin, I have lots of problems with contact dermatitis since pregnancy and am very sensitive to chemicals. You can get it from Whole Foods or Amazon.

thanks for letting me know about the baby dr. bronner's product. I actually use the peppermint one for cleaning around the home, but didn't realize there was a baby product that can be used for bathtime. Thanks!!

choopi
01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm primarily looking for baby products that won't irritate the skin on my hands when I wash my DD. The Johnson's Head to Toe Body/Hair wash actually worked perfectly for DD, but I'm afraid it was irritating my skin. Maybe I should just use gloves, but it's such a hassle.

AnnieW625
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
DD1 didn't have any irritation issues with California Baby, but I just didn't care for the consistency and non lathering of the stuff as I couldn't tell when it was getting rinsed off. DD1's pediatrician suggested Cetaphil cleanser for the skin and while it is slimy DD1's skin always felt better than it did with the California Baby. For haircare we did use Johnson's or lightly scented Aveeno Baby Shampoo--the one with the light blue top (I know BB board no no #1:bag) until DD1 had long enough hair (just past her shoulders) and then we switched to Paul Mitchell Baby shampoo (I think she was about 3 then) at the suggestion of the lady who cuts her hair, and we really like it.

It's not cheap, and it does have a slight scent, but I really like Arbonne Baby wash. We got some as a gift from my aunt (who sells the line) and I think it's $14 but DD2 who also has really sensitive skin had no issues with it. We are trying Yes To Carrots right now, but if that doesn't work then we'll most likely go back to either Aveeno or splurge and buy another bottle of the Arbonne (their baby lotion, and baby oil are nice too; DH loves them).

did you end up finding another brand that your DS doesn't react towards? I also noticed that my DS has started to develop an itchy rash after using the new large bottle of super sensitive California body wash that I just bought from target... hmm. I'm thinking about switching him to Dove (this is the brand that the pediatrician recommended per a dermatologist's advice for treating his own son's sensitive skin condition).
DD1 has really sensitive skin and we switched to using Dove soap only right around 2/1/2 or 3.

lizzywednesday
01-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I'm primarily looking for baby products that won't irritate the skin on my hands when I wash my DD. The Johnson's Head to Toe Body/Hair wash actually worked perfectly for DD, but I'm afraid it was irritating my skin. Maybe I should just use gloves, but it's such a hassle.

We use the Burt's Bees Fragrance Free Baby Wash with no problems.

It kind of smells like plain oatmeal (which would make sense, considering it's made with oatmeal) if you catch any scent at all. I have super-sensitive skin and so does DD (as our diaper saga has told) and DD has never had a reaction to this stuff. We've used it since she was about a month or 2 old.

We don't do bubble bath due to the fact that one of my cousins had several UTIs when she was very small because of bubble bath. When I was an infant/toddler, I was very susceptible to UTI so I don't do anything that would increase the risk with DD.

As for dry, red patches on the cheeks ... I noticed this with my DD once it had gotten cold outside. Between the cold, dry air outside and the warm, dry air inside, it seemed that her skin was taking a hit. She didn't have a rash anywhere else, so I didn't think it was a reaction to anything we used at bathtime, and it cleared up with a bit of A+D ointment at night for a few nights.

amldaley
01-25-2011, 11:30 PM
We, surprisingly, have had good luck with Aveeno baby products. I also use Cetaphil cleanser for DD - it was prescribed by her Dr when she was tiny as she had crazy sensitive skin.

We don't use bubble bath at all. Two different doctors have told me it is not good to use on a regular basis as it can lead to UTI's and vaginosis. As it turns out, we don't actually need suds to get clean and the SLS which makes suds is not such great stuff.

ETA: I, too, have had random reactions to soap and other bath products and often ended up with itchy patches between my fingers. UGH.