PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a new diaper bag from BBB

new_mom_mry
01-18-2011, 07:30 AM
I need some diaper bag wisdom. I currently have a Ju Ju Be Be Spicy and I am just not loving it! First of all, the bag itself is very heavy in my opinion, and it has too many pockets, and when some of them are full, the size of the others is heavily compressed. I have a 3 month old boy, and the items I typically need to carry are 3-4 diapers, wipes, changing pad, spare outfit, my wallet, phone, car keys, nursing cover, and that's about it. Of course when he starts solids later, I would imagine I will need room for snacks for him. It would also be nice if it had a pocket for a bottle. Finally, I would like the bag to be at least somewhat stylish. Based on my needs, please help me pick a diaper bag that will accommodate these items, be less heavy than my current bag, and bonus points: 1) not clash with my strollers (Indie in Spice (orange) and Mac Triumph in brown, and 2) be sold at Buy Buy Baby as I want to use a gift card from there. TIA!!!

TwoBees
01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
The Skip Hop Versa in the beige/orange print sounds like it would be perfect for you!

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17688235&

new_mom_mry
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
You know, I agree with you! It looks lovely. Quick question for anyone who owns this bag--all of the pockets looked zippered. Are there any pockets that are not zippered that are very easy to reach in to? One thing that I liked about the JJB Be Spicy bag is that I could put the diapers in the side pockets and easily reach for them while at the ped's office or some other situation demanding a diaper immediately. Though, it's not a big deal! I love the appearance of this bag :)

Jelly Bean
01-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I think I've tried on and bought every diaper bag that BBB sells! How much is your gift card for? Are you willing to put any additional $$ towards it? Let us know what price range you're okay with and I can make some recommendations!

new_mom_mry
01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I think I've tried on and bought every diaper bag that BBB sells! How much is your gift card for? Are you willing to put any additional $$ towards it? Let us know what price range you're okay with and I can make some recommendations!

I would say that my budget is not more than $120 or so. Could go over a bit though!

new_mom_mry
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
The Skip Hop Versa in the beige/orange print sounds like it would be perfect for you!

http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?SKU=17688235&

Actually, just saw that two of the pockets are NOT zippered. Can the owners of this bag comment on their size, i.e., would their fit a diaper or two?

TwoBees
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Actually, just saw that two of the pockets are NOT zippered. Can the owners of this bag comment on their size, i.e., would their fit a diaper or two?

I love my Versa. The very front 2 pockets are not zippered, but they are probably too small for dipes. Maybe if you folded the dipes in half they would fit. You could always stuff a few in the very back pocket with the changing pad, and leave that pocket open. I do that, except that DD gets into my bag and pulls everything out!

I posted a review about a month ago with photos if you want to see what it looks like.

new_mom_mry
01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
I love my Versa. The very front 2 pockets are not zippered, but they are probably too small for dipes. Maybe if you folded the dipes in half they would fit. You could always stuff a few in the very back pocket with the changing pad, and leave that pocket open. I do that, except that DD gets into my bag and pulls everything out!

I posted a review about a month ago with photos if you want to see what it looks like.

I just read your review. Very informative. I also use Born Free bottles btw :) At what age did your LO start needing the 9oz? We are using the 5oz ones right now.

I am going to go ahead and order the bag! It's beautiful. Though, now I will need to find a bag for DH too. He is not very gender sensitive and had no problem carrying around JJB Be Spicy, but the Versa may be a tad bit too feminine for him :)

lhafer
01-19-2011, 02:51 PM
Glad you ordered the Versa. I think you will love it! It was the first bag I thought of when I read your post.

I have the black one for my 10 month old. Here's how I have mine set up:
1 Interior pocket - 4 size 3 diapers + a small hard wipes case
1 Interior pocket - 2 burp rags (I used cloth diapers for this because they are so absorbant)
1 Interior pocket - snack trap or snack ziplock full of cheerios, and some other snacks for my 4 year old
1 Interior pocket - I sometimes have empty, or sometimes I put an extra bottle in there for longer outings (I use Tommee Tippee bottles)

In the open area of the bag I keep an extra outfit for my baby, and sometimes one for my 4 year old, small pack of kleenex, hand sanitizer, formula dispenser, and one of those small roles of baggies for dirty diapers, and a couple of baby toys.

In one of the zippered pockets I keep my wallet, and my keys go in the open pocket on that side. In the other zippered pocket I keep my "feminine" products (which I always keep on me, no matter what). And I keep a bottle in the front open pocket on that side.

I have not yet had to even open up the bag for the additional room. Perhaps when the weather's warm enough for the zoo, or a really long outing. But this bag is an awesome size!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! And I hope you do too.

new_mom_mry
01-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Glad you ordered the Versa. I think you will love it! It was the first bag I thought of when I read your post.

I have the black one for my 10 month old. Here's how I have mine set up:
1 Interior pocket - 4 size 3 diapers + a small hard wipes case
1 Interior pocket - 2 burp rags (I used cloth diapers for this because they are so absorbant)
1 Interior pocket - snack trap or snack ziplock full of cheerios, and some other snacks for my 4 year old
1 Interior pocket - I sometimes have empty, or sometimes I put an extra bottle in there for longer outings (I use Tommee Tippee bottles)

In the open area of the bag I keep an extra outfit for my baby, and sometimes one for my 4 year old, small pack of kleenex, hand sanitizer, formula dispenser, and one of those small roles of baggies for dirty diapers, and a couple of baby toys.

In one of the zippered pockets I keep my wallet, and my keys go in the open pocket on that side. In the other zippered pocket I keep my "feminine" products (which I always keep on me, no matter what). And I keep a bottle in the front open pocket on that side.

I have not yet had to even open up the bag for the additional room. Perhaps when the weather's warm enough for the zoo, or a really long outing. But this bag is an awesome size!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! And I hope you do too.

Thank you for your awesome description of the bag! I ordered it and look forward to using it! P.S. You are very, very organized--that's so cool! :)

lhafer
01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you for your awesome description of the bag! I ordered it and look forward to using it! P.S. You are very, very organized--that's so cool! :)

Ha! Thanks! I find that if I keep stuff in "their" own pocket, I can easily dig in my diaper bag without having to look and can easily find what I want. That's one of the reasons I love Skip Hop and this bag.

Skip Hop is known for their organizational pockets on all of their bags. But after having owned many, I have found that just because it can have a ton of pockets, that doesn't mean they can ALL be used at the same time! But with this back, it's very possible! I also own (or have owned) a Dash Deluxe, a Studio Tote, a Saddle Bag, and a Skip Hop via Backpack as well.

new_mom_mry
02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
But after having owned many, I have found that just because it can have a ton of pockets, that doesn't mean they can ALL be used at the same time!

YES!!! That was my problem with the Ju Ju Be Be Spicy. So glad I switched to the Skip Hop Versa. Loving it so far. In fact (don't tell DS, shhhh!!!) I took the Versa to work today as my work bag :) DS is at home with the nanny anyway, and she only takes him out on short outings, so she can always use our Skip Hop Pronto if necessary. I am loving this bag!!!