PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use an epilator?

MamaKath
01-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Tips please! On my arms it isn't bad, on my legs is agony. All this so I don't have to shave often. Ugh!

LMPC
01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I do but it's more for between waxing maintenance -- just so I don't have to go as often. Have you tried taking a couple of ibuprofen before you start? Also just an FYI...about a week or so before AF is about to arrive, it hurts way more to remove hair IMO (waxing or otherwise). HTH!

HIU8
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Oh my yes. I had an epilady when I was a teenager. I threw out the hated contraption. It hurt like HECK.

bubbaray
01-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Yes, I used to use the Braun one a lot. I liked it. It takes time, though.

MamaKath
01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the tips. I have given up for tonight. I would love to get them waxed but Am too self concious (sp?). I don't see any umm plus moms heading into the local salon. I hate shaving so this was a possible alternative. I am nowhere near a.f. either so I can only imagine. Oh well. :(

catsnkid
01-18-2011, 10:17 PM
I just got a bigger one. Had a mini one but I think i ikilled it. My sister suggested spraying first aid burn spray on the skin before using it. Haven't tried it yet.

LMPC
01-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I don't see any umm plus moms heading into the local salon.

Really? The spa I go to welcomes all types of people. I say go for it! Find a nice spa and have someone do it for you...you'll be in and out of there in 45 minutes! Then using the epilator will be so much easier!

FWIW, I was self-conscious for a long time about getting waxed because I am the hairiest person I have ever met! ;)

MamaKath
01-18-2011, 10:26 PM
FWIW, I was self-conscious for a long time about getting waxed because I am the hairiest person I have ever met! ;)
Okay this too lol. Do you just get the knees down or the whole leg? How often do you have to get this done? And how much does it cost? Somehow the bandaid rip of waxing sounds good after trying this.

pastrygirl
01-18-2011, 10:27 PM
Yes! I love mine, but it took a while for it to stop hurting. It hurts above my knee, so I only do an inch or two above. I have to do it twice a week or else it hurts a bit. It killed like a $&#(*$&(Q# the first time I did my underarms, but now I don't feel it AT ALL -- and it's so worth it!!! I still feel it on my legs but it's not unpleasant. It feels kinda cool sometimes, like I'm deep-scratching an itch. But then again, I love the sensation of plucking my eyebrows. It's satisfying.

I use the Braun Silk Epil. I saw that BzzAgent recently did an epilator buzz, and I wish I'd seen that! I would LOVE to try a new one, because I think my Braun is not working as well as it used to (just over two years old).

Before I had a pregnant belly, I also used it on my bikini line. HOLY MOLY that hurt. Then my belly got in the way and I had to stop. Honestly, it wasn't much better than shaving, in that area. I still had ingrowns and itchiness. Once the belly was gone, I didn't have the stomach to go through that pain again.

LMPC
01-18-2011, 10:35 PM
I typically can do my arms myself...but go to the spa for underarms (so worth it!) and full leg/bikini. Underarms is $20+tip and Full leg/bikini is $65+tip. But the place I go has a buy 5 get one free deal that I usually do (hey, I'm going anyway, right?!). And they also have a rewards points scheme that gives me at least $5 off each service. Whatever is going to make it cheaper! In the winter I go for a loooong time between waxings because 1) I've been with DH for 13 years and we are kinda past that and 2) um, it's winter. In the summer I go about every 2 months.

I will say that it's important to find someone that you like. And don't be afraid to try someone new if you don't gel with the first person that waxes you.

Mamma2004
01-18-2011, 10:45 PM
I LOVE my epilator! I started with the Epilady when I was in college and it hurt like a beast! Years later, however, I cannot imagine shaving (or paying to be waxed) - the Braun Silk Epil I use is old but wonderful! I suspect a newer model would work even better.

Good luck and try to brave it for a while. I *promise* it gets easier! In the beginning I did my calves...and it really hurt. I learned to slap the skin to numb it a bit; now I do my legs, bikini area, underarms...with no problem. You can do it!

k_null81
01-18-2011, 10:56 PM
a little off topic but has anyone tried sugaring instead of waxing? I heard it's a little less pain full b/c they remove the hair in the direction of growth not in the opposite way as they do with waxing...I'm about to bite the bullet and get my underarms sugared...My under arms always look like crap less then 24 hours after shaving and if I even attempt shaving again the next day it gets super irritated...

edurnemk
01-18-2011, 10:58 PM
When I was like 13-14 my mom tried her Epi-Lady on my legs.... HOLY COW! :48: I didn't last more than 8 seconds, it hurt like h3ll! But some time after that I tried the Braun Silk-epil and IMO it's much less painful and more efficient (the epi-lady can pinch your skin). I used that for quite a while, alternating with professional waxing (full leg, bikini and underarm). I only used the silk-epil for legs though, I wasn't brave enough to try it on my underarms or bikini area.

After a few times, it stops hurting. I think I had to use it every 4-5 weeks IIRC. I was SUPER hairy. And I say "was", because 10 years ago I opted for laser hair removal (same body areas). Best.decision.ever. :thumbsup: I probably need to go in for a touch-up session, which is normal after pregnancy, but I just had a few hairs grow back, like 10-20% of what I had before laser.

hellokitty
01-18-2011, 11:10 PM
I've been using an braun epilator for about 12 yrs. Yes, the first few times I used it, it hurt like hell! However, after a while, it seems like your body becomes de-sensitized to the pain. I use it on my arms and legs. I still shave my arm pits and I have never tried it on my bikini area before, it just sounds too scary, lol. And yes, a pp said that it takes time. That is the, "worst" part about it, is that it does take more time in one sitting than shaving, BUT I think if you add up the amt of time you spend shaving to the amt of time you use the epilator until your hair comes back, it would probably be close to equal. It just seems like a lot of time, b/c it's in one big chunk, vs being broken up into daily shaves.

gatorsmom
01-18-2011, 11:32 PM
LOL. My mother got an Epilady brand epilator in the 80's. I remember her trying to convince me to use it because she said eventually her leg hair would be gone. Fast forward 20 years later and she was still using that thing, absolutely determined that the hair was almost gone and she wouldn't need to use it much longer.

I tried it once and it hurt like crazy. No WAY would I do that to myself.

joules
01-19-2011, 12:16 AM
I have the Braun one. I'm not that hairy so I only need to do my calves. I like to dig my nails into my skin above the part I'm working on. I feel like it masks the pain of the hair being ripped out.

ltmommy
01-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I second that about getting used to the pain. I have the Braun Silk Epil too and love it as an alternative to waxing since it is virtually mess-free, and waxing at home is so messy. And waxing at a spa - well, I have neither the time nor the money for that. I use mine on my arms and my bikini line - I wouldn't say it is pain-free, about like waxing, but I have definitely gotten used to it. I haven't done my legs or underarms because I can't seem to stomach the growing-out period - I have to shave my legs every.darn.day, summer or winter.

If the pain really bothers you, then start with a salon wax the first couple of times. It might not hurt less, but they can do it quickly so it hurts for less time. Then pop a couple of advil and try it at home. I also think that suggestion of using the sunburn spray is good - it is basically topical lidocaine, which numbs the skin.

I will warn you, though, if you like really smooth legs (which I do) and have really thick hair (I do), you might not get the desired results with and epilator on your legs. With my arms, where the hair is lighter, I never seem to be able to get them completely smooth, and the regrowth is somewhat stubbly. Not terrible, for arms, but not what I would want on my legs.

mommylamb
01-19-2011, 10:17 AM
I think I must have a high threshold for pain because I mainly use mine for my underarms. It used to hurt a lot, but maybe the nerves have been dulled there because it's not so bad any longer. I tend to shave my legs tough because it's just such a big job that the epilator took forever. I don't use it on my arms (with the exception of underarms) because I don't have a ton of hair there.

pastrygirl
01-19-2011, 03:32 PM
I will warn you, though, if you like really smooth legs (which I do) and have really thick hair (I do), you might not get the desired results with and epilator on your legs. With my arms, where the hair is lighter, I never seem to be able to get them completely smooth, and the regrowth is somewhat stubbly. Not terrible, for arms, but not what I would want on my legs.I don't get smooth results on my legs, but do get a hairless look, which is what I care about most. I pretty much never look like I need to shave, even when I use the epilator twice a week. But it's definitely bumpier than shaving.

Lupe
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
I used to use one, and it was really painful. I eventually switched to a NoNO
which takes quite a bit of time but doesn't hurt.

Nowadays things are pretty easy. For some reason the hair on my legs almost stopped growing during pregnancy. I can get away with, believe it or not, shaving once a month (and my DH does complain if he feels stubble).
Not looking forward to have to deal with this issue again, but soon enough my hair will start growing back after I deliver I guess. Anyoen had the same thing happen to them?

malphy
01-19-2011, 06:18 PM
OK, this post just keeps freaking me out, lol.

I tried epilady in the 80's and I just think it is a torture device. Everytime i see the word epilator in the title I get a little queasy. I can't wax or pluck either. So I am just a hairy beast.

edurnemk
01-19-2011, 10:43 PM
I used to use one, and it was really painful. I eventually switched to a NoNO
which takes quite a bit of time but doesn't hurt.

Does it work? Are the results comparable to an epilator? Do you really get less hair growth after time?

MamaSnoo
01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
I have the Braun one. It is time consuming. I find it to be much more painful on the thighs, as opposed to lower legs. I stopped doing my thighs and just shave them from time to time (I have less and lighter hair growth there anyway). I also found that the lower legs got less painful over time with repeated "treatments."

It does last pretty well, and I almost never have to think before I wear a skirt, so I particularly like it in the Spring summer. I am taking a break this winter and just shaving. Will go back to it when it warms up. It is more economical and convenient for me than going to a salon for waxing.

I tried bikini once; too painful. I am afraid to try underarms.

ETA--- I am also interested to hear more about the NoNo