PDA

View Full Version : FR85 installs slightly tilted

HIU8
01-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok, this has been bugging me for a LONG time. DS is in a FR85 in my Odyssey. He is in the 2nd row captains chair behind the driver. No matter what I do, the carseat installs slightly sideways EVERY.SINGLE. TIME. FWIW, we do the seatbelt install b/c DS is over 40 lbs with a TT. I have removed the headrest to make the install easier. The seat ALWAYS leans slightly to the left (if you are standing in front of the seat). I thought I was pulling to hard and caused this, so I reinstalled and no matter what I get this slight lean. Has this happened to anyone else?

DS is almost 6 1/2. I was going to wait until he turned 7 to use the FR85 as a booster, but the issue is bothering me so much that I feel like I want to convert the seat to booster mode NOW.

Joolsplus2
01-19-2011, 11:18 AM
How are you tightening the seatbelt? I find that if I do NOT switch it into locked mode first, just pull UP/Forward hard on the shoulderbelt at the buckle side to get the lapbelt nice and tight, and then very gently and slowly pull the shoulderbelt all the way out, and let it retract tightly without pulling up on it at all at that point, that usually prevents tipping of seats in general (not sure about the Frontier...Leah's hovering at 40 and I'm pushing it with LATCH till I get a new harness and feel like reinstalling it next week-ish...)

HIU8
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
I normall am kneeling in the seat and I do not retract the seatbelt before I tighten. I pull up and over at the buckle (while leaning more to the right to offset the pulling on the left side). It's bugging me so much I'm going to reinstall again today. I thought maybe I was pulling to the side with the TT. I have to loosen it and attempt again.

saleenl
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Are you doing the long belt path install? We could not get a decent install with the FR85 in an Odyssey captain's chair until we switched to it.

HIU8
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
No. I'm doing the short belt path. I could not get the long belt path to work at all. I don't feel like the sbp is making the seat lean b/c the belt is so long that I have tons of slack to work with. However, I'm willing to attempt it again if it will stop the tilt.

AnnieW625
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
We have the original Frontier and it does it too. We do the short belt path in our cars and yeah the seat tilts a bit, more in DH's Corolla than my Pilot. We couldn't get a tight install using LATCH either in either one of our cars. Next time DH reinstalls the seats I'll mention to him to check and see if we can lock the seatbelt before he fully installs the seat.