PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to color my hair while pregnant?

Rio girl
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm 23 weeks pregnant with twins and want to make sure it's safe to color and highlight my hair. I've had conflicting reports and still undecided.

Thank you for your advise!:heartbeat:

lizzywednesday
01-19-2011, 12:55 PM
My stylist was pretty OK with it towards the end of the 2nd & definitely 3rd trimesters, but you should do whatever you're comfortable with.

If you're worried, would you & your stylist consider another type of dye? Single process vs. double process? Semi-permanent vs. permanent? Glaze? Different processing chemicals?

Personally, I am not OK with it even now that I am no longer pregnant & DD is doing fine ... but I am still nursing, so I'm really trying to limit my chemical exposure.

wendibird22
01-19-2011, 01:13 PM
I had my hair highlighted when I was pregnant with both girls. Stylists generally feel ok using a product that is applied/painted on the hair and not on the scalp.

edurnemk
01-19-2011, 01:14 PM
My OB said highlights were fine in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters, but it was better to avoid coloring my hair at all, because for highlights the dye doesn't touch your scalp, so there's little chance of it being absorbed. I did redo my highlights when I was about 4 months pg, and then again when DS was 4 months (and still nursing).

TwoBees
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
I think this is a personal decision. Even among doctors you will most likely get different answers. I wasn't comfortable doing it, at least not during the first two trimesters. You might want to look into a "greener" option, such as getting it done at an Aveda salon, or a salon that uses the new L'oreal (I think?) hair color that is supposed to have fewer chemicals.

tiapam
01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm 23 weeks pregnant with twins and want to make sure it's safe to color and highlight my hair. I've had conflicting reports and still undecided.

Thank you for your advise!:heartbeat:

My rule is When in doubt, don't. You have doubts. Listen to them. Honor them. Especially with twins, I would not do something that I have doubts about during pregnancy. Better to have roots than worry, IMO.

amldaley
01-25-2011, 11:24 PM
My rule is When in doubt, don't. You have doubts. Listen to them. Honor them. Especially with twins, I would not do something that I have doubts about during pregnancy. Better to have roots than worry, IMO.

:yeahthat: I guess I am really conservative when it comes to these kinds of questions, but with all the new information that seems to flow regularly now about what we *thought* was safe and now isn't...I would worry that today's answer won't be tomorrow's answer. And beyond the absorption of the chemicals in to your scalp, there are the fumes you would be breathing while having it done.

I especially love how Tiapam urges you to "honor" your doubts...I truely believe we have to listen to our mama instincts, they come from somewhere deep within.