PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a stroller to DL, DD2 is 5.5?

Twoboos
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Will we need a stroller for Disneyland for a 5.5 yo DD? We would bring a Volo.

Hmmmmm....

alien_host
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
DL is much smaller than DW so less walking. Although we only went to DL and not Calif Advent (which is directly across the street) so I don't know how much walking is involved there.

We rented a stroller b/c DD had been up late the night before and wasn't used to the time change. The rentals are nicer than DW - more of a jogger than the hard plastic one at DW and I got a disc. w/ the Disney Visa.

DD's cousin was there and was 5.5 at the time and walked without problems.

If it is a hassle for you to bring the volo, you could try walking and then rent if needed.

Have fun!

Twoboos
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Yah, that's true, we could rent, hadn't thought of that I think DD would be OK. We are all going to be exhausted though. (ANd I know she is going to be waking up at 3:30am, making us all miserable for the first three days!)

Volo stays home, thank you!

geochick
01-20-2011, 04:09 PM
We rented a stroller at DL. Lots of people do it, so if you do, I recommend tying some bright curling ribbon on the handle to distinguish yours from the others. Sometimes (It's a Small World) there are hundreds parked.

It's VERY easy to rent at DL. Just get there early. The rentals are just to the right of the main entrance. I send my family to line up at the turn-styles while I get in the line to rent the stroller. Easy-peasy.

bubbaray
01-20-2011, 04:29 PM
We took strollers for DD#1 when we went last year (she was almost 6) and the year before that (she had just turned 5).

Both of those trips, we took a Mac Volo for her. She used it a LOT. DL can be a LOT of walking, depending on how you do things. We don't like to go back to the hotel until bedtime, so both kids would nap in their strollers. Heck, *I* wanted to nap in the strollers some times!

I would totally take the Volo if you have it. Renting strollers skeeves me out, if I think my kids are gonna need a stroller, I'd rather have one of my own....

SnuggleBuggles
01-20-2011, 06:52 PM
No way, imo. But, I also make a kid that age walk. The more they walk, the more stamina they have. :) My ds1 was 5yo when we went to DL. We opened and closed the park and he hung in there fine.

BEth

hbridge
01-21-2011, 07:36 AM
We took the volo to WDW when DC was newly 5. DD is much taller than average and we couldn't carry her if she was tired (as our friends did with their same age child). DD LOVED having the stroller; we could move faster, she didn't have to worry about getting seperated from us and she had a few minutes in her own space to take everything in. Of course the Volo is so compact it was super easy to travel with!

You know your child best and know what would keep them most comfortable. For us, it was having the stroller.

Have fun.

spunkybaby
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
We visited DL for DD1's 5th birthday and brought two Volos--one for her and one for DD2. We used both strollers a lot--for walking to DL from the HoJo, for getting to attractions quickly (I could push DD1 in the stroller a lot faster than she could walk), and definitely for the walk back to the HoJo at the end of the day. We also went back to the HoJo for mid-afternoon breaks--again, the stroller was great!

Yes, you can rent at DL, but then you have to get in line and waste time. The Volo is so easy to bring--I would just bring it!

ETA: Because DL and CA Adventure are so close together, it's so easy to parkhop. So again, I would definitely bring a stroller because you could end up covering quite a bit of territory in one day. Just IMO of course--have a great time!

Tondi G
01-21-2011, 02:00 PM
I would bring your stroller. I have a 5.5 year old and he spent a day at Disneyland a couple of weeks ago and was fine without a stroller but we live here and weren't dealing with a time change and sleep being off. He also had his cousins to keep him busy and distracted.

If you rent a stroller you have to drop it at the exit and then your kiddo has to walk from there back to the hotel or to the tram for parking. If you think there is a chance your DD might knock out it would be a whole lot easier to have a stroller to push back to the hotel than having to carry a passed out kiddo. A volo is easy to bring along... I would bring it. I like having a stroller cause I can put all the hoodies/jackets in the basket rather than having to pack a backpack and lug it all around.

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
No way, imo. But, I also make a kid that age walk. The more they walk, the more stamina they have. :) My ds1 was 5yo when we went to DL. We opened and closed the park and he hung in there fine.

BEth

You know, I've left this for a day, but this is really bugging me. The implication is that kids who are 5 and still using strollers at DL don't have stamina. My DD#1 still uses a stroller at DL and its not a stamina issue. She can outski most adults and I'm pretty sure virtually all the adults on this board -- she loves to get first tracks and ski big hills like Whister Blackcomb with DH. She'll ski all day. So to imply that just because she uses a stroller at DL, she is out of shape or needs to walk more to have stamina is pretty offensive to me.

All kids are different. My kids don't like to sit on the ground -- they'd rather rest or watch a parade from their (clean) strollers. They like to bring snacks (allergies) and we need room to put those in the stroller.

This is a really hot button issue for me as a #$(*% childless coworker of mine ranted to me last year about how she was just disgusted at how many older children she saw in strollers at WDW. I mean, really -- WTF does she know, she has no kids.

khalloc
01-21-2011, 04:30 PM
My DD just turned 5 in November. We are going to Disney in 2 weeks. I think I am going to bring a stroller just for her. She walks just fine, but really it will probably make my life easier to have one for her if she wants it. I dont think its a bad thing if a 5 year old rides in a stroller at a very large amusement park. I'm not sure if she will use it enought to justify it, but I plan to bring it for the first day and if it comes in handy then I will drag it along with us for the rest of the week as well.

An alternative for me that might also work is that I will definitely bring a stroller for DS who is 2.5. Sometimes they can share the stroller and one can sit and one can walk. So at least They could take turns if need be. But like I said I plan to travel with 2.

alien_host
01-21-2011, 04:55 PM
FWIW, when I went to WDW, DD had just turned 5. She rode in the stroller from when we left our room and in the park. Yes, she got out and walked but the stroller was a good call for us. AND she hadn't used that stroller for probably 2 yrs (I would have her walk at malls etc. at home). Things do seem to be different at Disney...so much walking is involved!

AnnieW625
01-22-2011, 03:38 AM
A Volo would be great. We have a rule with DD that she needs to sit in the stroller in between rides because she has a history of bolting. We usually bring the Triumph to Disneyland, but the next time we go we'll bring the Techno. We also always walk between the parking garage and the parks so a stroller is usually a must for us. With two kids we'll most likely ad the carrier or we will take our Duallie.

In my many trips (10 I think) in the last three years I have seen boys and girls between 6 and 8 yr. old kids in the Disney rent a strollers because they are just so tired. When I was younger I think we had the stroller twice, the first the year I was 3 (but I don't remember), and then again the year I was 6 because my brother was not quite 3. Strollers are much more comfy than they were 25 yrs. ago so I bet if we'd had a Bob or even a Triumph my 5 yr. old brother would've used a stroller at DL too.

Beth makes a great point too about having strollers for the parades (we never went because we always did DL in one day growing up) I wouldn't want to sit on dirty pavement either for 45 minutes waiting for a parade.