PDA

View Full Version : All pregnant women are not a size 14 or smaller

rhettsmom
01-20-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm SO over most maternity stores (online and off) carrying only up to a size XL - and the size chart saying an XL fits a 12-14. Even Target's XXL is too small.

Would I like to be that size - yes!!! Am I? No.

It just makes me angry. If I knew how to start a clothing line, I would! I'd love to make maternity clothes in plus sizes that are EQUALLY as cute as their smaller counterparts, but cut to fit our bodies.

I don't get it. Lane Bryant and Avenue as well as many others make *some* really flattering clothes in plus sizes. I'm particularly fond of Lane Bryant's SEVEN plus size jeans - super flattering. Why no maternity line?

Don't overweight women get pregnant too?

Unfortunately America as a whole is getting larger, the demand for this type of clothing is on the rise not on the decline, and yet it's harder to find than ever. (Climbing off my soapbox now....)

mom2MandC
01-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I so understand what you mean- I have a 2 year old and 1 year old and am short and plus size- it was virtually impossible to find clothes when I was pregnant. With DD1 Lane Bryant actually did have maternity (limited but some) however I was working then and got a few work staples, not too many casual clothes- when I was pregnant with DD2 finding clothes was not an easy task since it is challenging to find short plus size clothes!!
Good luck in your pregnancy and finding cute clothes!!!!!

mrshalco
01-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Isn't it just the worst!! I have a double whammy, overweight AND short!! PP is right, Lane Bryant used to have a maternity line - I did manage to get a great pair of mat. jeans in petite. They were a favorite of mine. Your best bet is to go online and scope out Ebay. It's where I got a lot of my Maternity Wardrobe and where it will eventually end up again! Also - some Motherhood stores carry Plus size. I didn't always score but I did manage to grab a couple things there to stretch out my wardrobe a little bit. Good luck!

MommytoEliana
01-20-2011, 09:24 PM
I am with you! I could wear most regular things with my first, fewer with my second, and I know I won't be able to do anything from my favorite (Gap) this time around.

I found some decent jeans and yoga/sweatpants at ON; they carry to 18 in the store. Didn't care for the look of the tops; hopefully they'll get some cuter ones in.

I've heard Lane Bryant has some maternity clothes online, but I haven't looked yet.

Good luck! Let me know if you find anything.

ETA: Just looked at Lane Bryant online and didn't see any mention of maternity clothes. Not at Fashion Bug either, which is where I found some cute things my first time around. Grrrr!

indigo99
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
It really bugs me when the tag will say to buy the size that you wore before you became pregnant. Duh! I could wear a medium top before DS, but I gained 55lb and ended up wearing XL tops while pregnant and immediately after.

rhettsmom
01-21-2011, 12:44 AM
So glad I'm not the only one!!! I found a few things at Motherhood, but here's the kicker...the section in the store was at the back with one tiny wall of clothes...maybe an 8 foot area, and that's it. The WHOLE rest of the store was out.

I did find some things on ebay last time, but I seem to not be finding much this time. Has anybody found any plus size stuff at Ross or one of those other discount type stores??

karstmama
01-21-2011, 10:06 AM
don't be silly! you know fat girls don't get laid - why would we need maternity clothes?

ARGH! i had this discussion with a saleslady in pea in a pod once.

BabyBearsMom
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm SO over most maternity stores (online and off) carrying only up to a size XL - and the size chart saying an XL fits a 12-14. Even Target's XXL is too small.

Would I like to be that size - yes!!! Am I? No.

It just makes me angry. If I knew how to start a clothing line, I would! I'd love to make maternity clothes in plus sizes that are EQUALLY as cute as their smaller counterparts, but cut to fit our bodies.

I don't get it. Lane Bryant and Avenue as well as many others make *some* really flattering clothes in plus sizes. I'm particularly fond of Lane Bryant's SEVEN plus size jeans - super flattering. Why no maternity line?

Don't overweight women get pregnant too?

Unfortunately America as a whole is getting larger, the demand for this type of clothing is on the rise not on the decline, and yet it's harder to find than ever. (Climbing off my soapbox now....)

BTDT. I even called Lane Bryant and talked to their customer service. The lady told me that they used to have a line but it wasn't profitable so it was discontinued. I was a size 18 before I got pg with DD, and I found that Gap size XXL and Old Navy 1X (and later in my pregnancy 2X) worked pretty well. Good luck!

justbreathe11
01-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I hear ya!!

vonfirmath
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
I have found some Motherhood Maternity jeans that are 2X petite that I LOVE and are using this pregnancy

I think the problem, in general, with maternity clothes is that women wear them less than 9 months out of their lives (per pregnancy)

Compared to regular clothes that you have to wear 60-ish wears

And even for regular clothes it can be hard to find plus size stuff.

rhettsmom
01-21-2011, 12:34 PM
don't be silly! You know fat girls don't get laid - why would we need maternity clothes?

Argh! I had this discussion with a saleslady in pea in a pod once.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

AnnieW625
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
It really bugs me when the tag will say to buy the size that you wore before you became pregnant. Duh! I could wear a medium top before DS, but I gained 55lb and ended up wearing XL tops while pregnant and immediately after.

I hear you on that one. I gained 40lbs with DD1, 20 with the baby we lost mid term, and 30 with DD2. Each time I was out of medium sized pants or tops by the beginning of the second trimester which is why I was looking for maternity clothes in the first place! And at Pea in the Pod for the most part esp. for jeans I was in a 12/14 and they weren't even that comfy for me; so no designer jeans for me :(. I was just so not the classic pregnant OC mom.

MamaSnoo
01-21-2011, 06:18 PM
don't be silly! you know fat girls don't get laid - why would we need maternity clothes?

Would you just love to paste a little sign on her back (Jr. High style) which reads:

"PSA: I am a b!tch. Please do not have sex with me. Ever."

keeley146
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I know what you mean! It is horrible to find plus size stuff in general and forget about maternity clothes! Add to that either being short or tall and it's a mess! I got angry in mimi maternity once and almost went off on the sales lady. Luckily I remembered it's not her fault. I would think there is a definitely a demand for plus size maternity. I really only had luck at motherhood maternity and even then the selection was terrible!

czekit7
01-29-2011, 11:46 PM
If it's any consolation, fat tall girls can't get clothing in maternity either...but at least we are use to not finding clothing that fits...in length, and pregnancy seems to make it "oh so much more eAsy"!!!

lizzywednesday
01-30-2011, 11:13 AM
If it's any consolation, fat tall girls can't get clothing in maternity either...but at least we are use to not finding clothing that fits...in length, and pregnancy seems to make it "oh so much more eAsy"!!!

BTDT, b!tched about it already. I wore dresses & tights almost exclusively during my last trimester because I couldn't find trousers that fit. (I did manage 2 pair of jeans, thankfully.)

I swear, I'd make a mint if I could actually get my buddy the designer to take my calls.

rhettsmom
01-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I'm a tall one, but luckily the jeans at Motherhood are nice and long - I just wish there were options period.

Pinky
04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
I had good luck with plus size maternity from JCPenney... I'd order online and then return what didn't fit.

Also, if motherhood maternity doesn't have what you want in stock I think they'll order it for you and ship it free to your house. I loved their pants!

longtallsally05
04-26-2011, 03:30 PM

I feel ya. Apparently, we tall women are too ugly to have sex too. This is why all maternity shirts (that aren't shaped like 6-person tents) have bodices that are super-short. I must say, empire-waist shirts look REALLY HOT when the boobs fall below the waist seam. The panel on maternity pants always shows because shirts are too short...super sexy. Don't even get me started on the too-high openings on nursing shirts; I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get my girls up there. Not sure why maternity pants come in long lengths (though never quite long enough for me at 6'2"), but maternity shirts are always for average height women. WHY???

amldaley
05-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Lane Bryant does have maternity - only on their website.

JC Penny maternity lines Duo and Ana were awesome for plus sizes. Don't know what I woud have done without them!!!!

ashleybama24
05-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I could have hit the lady at Motherhood Maternity the last time I was there. She told me that their clothes are great because you can wear your regular prepregnancy size and it stretches with you throughout pregnancy! No need to buy the next size up unless you gain 40lbs or more. UMMM I haven't put on half that and already need the next size up. I didn't put on 40lb in my last pregnancy (but darn close) and I still wore a whole range of sizes. Clearly this idiot has never had children.

NCGrandma
05-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Lane Bryant does have maternity - only on their website.

Where did you see those? Just looked at the Lane Bryant website, and a search for 'maternity' only turned up one nursing bra, bra extenders, and 'Mama Spanx maternity footless pantyhose.'

My tall, plus-sized DIL has had some success at a Motherhood outlet, and I've found her a few things at GAP and JC Penney, but I agree with the PPs, it's tough, and not all the styles are great...

zag95
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Lane Bryant had maternity- but I am not finding the clothing on their website. I thought they had phased out their maternity line- which was unfortunate because it was nice looking and plus sized!