PDA

View Full Version : Your go-to veggie side dish?

bigsis
01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I need new, easy ideas please!

What veggie side dishes do you serve?

TIA!

DebbieJ
01-20-2011, 10:41 PM
For everyday dinner at home, I just steam some frozen veggies and add butter and salt.

For more formal affairs, I'll make a veggie casserole of some sort. My favorite one involves bags of CA blend veggies and shredded cheese. Mmmmm

bnme
01-20-2011, 10:47 PM
-spinach sauteed with garlic
-broccoli roasted after lightly brushing with olive oil and and sprinkling wirh bread crumbs, grated parmesam, and red pepper flakes
-most often frozen veggies because I have trouble keeping fresh veggies on hand

elbenn
01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Potatoes roasted with olive oil, sea salt, and rosemary are always good.

saleenl
01-20-2011, 10:52 PM
-Glazed carrots with brown sugar, butter, and pepper. No recipe, just about 1T brown sugar + 2T butter in a pan, when melted add sliced carrots and cook until tender. Then add pepper to taste.

-Roasted cauliflower with garlic, olive oil, and lemon (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/oven-roasted-cauliflower-with-garlic-olive-oil-and-lemon-juice-recipe/index.html).

weech
01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm into roasted vegetables right now - super easy and so delicious. We do roasted peppers, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc. Just toss with olive oil and salt/pepper.

My go-to dish for company is cubed potatoes tossed with some oil and Lipton onion soup mix and roasted for about 40 minutes. Everyone raves about them. I first made them while camping because they were easy :)

Otherwise we just steam or saute. Nothing fancy.

DietCokeLover
01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Tossed Salad
Steamed broccoli with a splash of balsamic vinaigarette
corn

these are all popular at our house

artvandalay
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
I LOVE roasted vegetables, but I can't get my boys to eat them. I've tried using only olive oil and salt, but they are just turned off by them. I wonder if it's the way that they look that makes them not want to eat them.

I usually just steam veggies in the microwave and either put a little butter or olive oil on them. Sometimes I buy those "steam in the bag" microwavable bags. I wish I was more creative, but I'm usually pressed for time around dinnertime.

I'll be watching this thread to get some ideas as well.

athompson
01-21-2011, 12:33 PM
We love squash casserole around here!

Tondi G
01-21-2011, 02:22 PM
I LOVE roasted vegetables, but I can't get my boys to eat them. I've tried using only olive oil and salt, but they are just turned off by them. I wonder if it's the way that they look that makes them not want to eat them.

My kids too. The only roasted vegis they will eat are sometimes roasted potatoes and my 5 yr old will eat a few cubes of roasted butternut squash

Our usual go to vegis for the kids are cucumber and carrots (raw) sometimes with a little ranch to dip in.
DS1 likes corn on the cob, steamed/boiled green beans with a light sprinkle of salt.
DS2 loves BROCCOLI ... now has decide he doesn't like green beans anymore. He will eat corn on the cob
They will eat vegetables in a beef stew and carrots and celery in chicken noodle soup. Won't eat cooked carrots any other way.

I love sauteed spinach but no one else in the family likes it... same thing with mushrooms. I have to make my own little side if I want either of these.

alirebco
01-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Love this roasted broccoli recipe - I don't do the pine nuts or the basil and sometimes I leave out the parmesan if I don't have it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/parmesan-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

I also love roasted brussel sprouts - olive oil, salt, pepper in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Roasted butternut squash is awesome as is any of the roasted root veggies - carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes.

MommytoEliana
01-21-2011, 06:21 PM
Our favorite is Smashed Peas from Sara Foster's Fresh Every Day. YUM!

artvandalay
01-21-2011, 06:44 PM
I love sauteed spinach but no one else in the family likes it... same thing with mushrooms. I have to make my own little side if I want either of these.

lol... sing it, sister! Same way in this house, too. I love sauteed spinach, I eat it a few times a week with lunch. No one will touch it. Same for mushrooms. It's sad, really. They don't know what they are missing.

kijip
01-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I stir-fry broccoli with garlic a lot. Steam green beans with herbs and melt a little butter. Brussel sprouts quartered and pan fried lightly with a little fat like chicken sausage and then add chicken stock and steam out till just tender, not overdone. Glazed root veggies- carrots, turnips, parsnips are great as well. I love mushrooms.

Roasted asparagus with a little oil and salt is second favorite.

Top favorite is greens - kale, chard, collard does not really matter- cooked just right. Will die by my greens. Took me a long time to figure out how to do these well from fresh (used to rely on frozen collards). I pan cook with a little oil, garlic and the seasonings to match the dinner. Adding raisins or craisins is great if you do it with some apple cider vinegar and skip the garlic. I enjoyed spinach too but it needs to be very, very, very lightly cooked or it is a slimy hot mess.

Some amazing books for vegetable recipes are:

Accidental Vegan
Grub- ideas for an urban organic kitchen

Tondi G
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
lol... sing it, sister! Same way in this house, too. I love sauteed spinach, I eat it a few times a week with lunch. No one will touch it. Same for mushrooms. It's sad, really. They don't know what they are missing.

:) Just means more for us!!! They have no idea what they're missing.

ahrimie
01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
another roaster here! i roast cauliflower and broccoli most (i love broccolini too) with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper.

i do the same with potatoes (cubes or wedges) and sweet potatoes. sometimes, i change the seasoning to steak seasoning :)

lately, i take frozen peas and corn and pour some boiled water (from the electric kettle) with a pinch of salt. only takes a few minutes to defrost and i drain. perfect and easy for toddlers to eat!

ahrimie
01-23-2011, 10:55 PM
another roaster here! i roast cauliflower and broccoli most (i love broccolini too) with olive oil, minced garlic, salt, pepper.

i do the same with potatoes (cubes or wedges) and sweet potatoes. sometimes, i change the seasoning to steak seasoning :)

lately, i take frozen peas and corn and pour some boiled water (from the electric kettle) with a pinch of salt. only takes a few minutes to defrost and i drain. perfect and easy for toddlers to eat!

amldaley
01-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Would anyone be surprised if I said, "Balsamic Brussels Sprouts"?

Also: steamed green beans with a little margarine and garlic - goes with everything!