PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a WDW resort

hellokitty
01-21-2011, 11:19 AM
So, I got a pretty decent PIN and I think we are going to try to go right before Christmas (Dec 18-23), so we can spend Christmas with family in NC on the drive back to OH from FL. So we will have a car at the resort. I'd love your opinions on which resorts you think would suit our family needs. The last time we went to WDW was for our honeymoon almost 12 yrs ago and we stayed off site, so this will be our first time staying on site and going with kids. We are a family of 5, but DS3 will only be 2.5 yrs old, so ok using a PNP or sleeping in bed with us. I'm not sure which area of WDW my kids will like the most, I have all boys, so they definitely aren't into princesses. They will be ages almost 8, 6 and 2 at the time of the trip. This won't be our only trip to WDW, so it doesn't have to be all out, I'm more concerned about the logistics/ease of getting around with 2 kids, a toddler and double stroller. Some of our priorities...

-No value resorts, b/c my DH won't tolerate it at all.

-Anything with double beds are out, so I know that CBR is out for sure b/c of this. We'd consider CSR and POFQ (having a hard time btwn these two), and I don't know if the rooms at POR will be re-furbished by then or not, but if they are, it would make it a nice option. Right now I'm leaning more toward POFQ.

-I want easier transportation, I heard that some places, like AK are just really far away. My DH is impatient, I would LIKE to use the internal transportation, but who knows. Due to his impatience, we may just drive to different parks instead. Since we've never experienced the internal transportation before, I don't really know how he will feel about it until we get there.

-Also, the size of the resort may be an issue too, I don't want to drag three kids for a long walk to get to the food court, pool or transportation.

-My kids are NOT independent swimmers, so I do not feel that we need a very fancy pool and with us going in Dec, I'm not sure what the weather will be like. So a really nice pool, might go to waste during our short stay.

-Are deluxe resorts worth the extra cost? I'm leaning toward moderate right now, b/c DS3 is under 3 so, we can get by with a room that typically only allows 4 ppl. We will probably go again and since he will be over 3, if we stay onsite, we'll either have to do POR or go deluxe then for sure.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions.

egoldber
01-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Have you priced things out? That is high season so even the Values are in the $150 a night range during that time and the mods wre typically around $200 a night.

I would think about the Swan and Dolphin. You can easily walk to two parks (Epcot and DHS) which will be great for your two older boys. You can then drive to MK and AK. They are cheaper than the WDW deluxes, but offer many of the same amenities. If your DH is very picky, he may not like any of the moderates either. There is not much of a difference (IMO) between the mods and values.

Of the moderates, I would choose POFQ. It has a smaller footprint, so is an easy resort to navigate. It's also an easy walk over to POR if you want to eat there for a change of pace or use their pool.

hellokitty
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Have you priced things out? That is high season so even the Values are in the $150 a night range during that time and the mods wre typically around $200 a night.

I would think about the Swan and Dolphin. You can easily walk to two parks (Epcot and DHS) which will be great for your two older boys. You can then drive to MK and AK. They are cheaper than the WDW deluxes, but offer many of the same amenities. If your DH is very picky, he may not like any of the moderates either. There is not much of a difference (IMO) between the mods and values.

Of the moderates, I would choose POFQ. It has a smaller footprint, so is an easy resort to navigate. It's also an easy walk over to POR if you want to eat there for a change of pace or use their pool.

Beth, my pin is pretty awesome. I was surprised at the rates that it is giving me. I can get a mod rate for $106 a night from Dec 11-24!!! I hate hot weather, so while DH was really pushing to go this summer, the idea of crowds AND extremely hot weather was just not thrilling to me. I am leaning toward POFQ too, just b/c it's our first time and a small resort will be easier to navigate. I know my kids will think the boat is neat too and I like that POR isn't THAT far away. I think I read it's a 10 min walk, which is still reasonable.

Corie
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Beth, my pin is pretty awesome.

Okay, what did you get? I'm dying to know your deal.

spunkybaby
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
POFQ sounds like it would be a great choice for your family. I read that the mod bedrooms are actually bigger than some of the bedrooms in the deluxes (e.g., Wilderness Lodge and a few others) because the mods basically have one room for everything, whereas the deluxes have a small walkway from the door before you get to the bedroom part. And you can hide the pack-n-play behind the privacy curtain that separates the vanity area from the bedroom area.

You would get free parking at POFQ, whereas you would have to pay for parking at the Swan/Dolphin. If you don't mind paying for parking, the Swan has 2 queen beds. However, the hotel rep that I spoke to told me that the Swan's rooms are smaller than the Dolphin's (beds are bigger), so you might have less room for the pack-n-play. And if you stay at the Swan/Dolphin, you wouldn't get to use your awesome PIN. (Wish I had one! :loveeyes:)

One concern I have about the POFQ and a December visit (we're planning for early December) is that if the weather's bad, it could be pretty yucky not having indoor corridors (all the deluxes have indoor corridors).

But if you're lucky and have great weather, the POFQ's pool is probably good for your kids too since it's not that big and has a friendly dragon slide--not too scary.

Good luck with your planning!

ETA: Between CSR and POFQ, I would pick POFQ for having better bus service, especially since your DH is impatient (I understand--so am I!)

hellokitty
01-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Okay, what did you get? I'm dying to know your deal.

There were several clumps of dates, but 40% off deluxe and villas (but it appears that the villas are all booked for this deal), 35% off mods and values. I had kind of ignored the pin when I got it less than 2 wks ago, b/c we had originally wanted to go during spring break, but actually going in dec right before winter break actually works out well for us. Summer is tricky, b/c DS2 will be going into K and they wait until July and Aug to do safety town AND assessments and in june they have summer rec for DS1, plus I hate super hot weather. Does this sound like the same pin you got?

KHF
01-21-2011, 01:40 PM
We're actually going the week before you (though your week was the original one I was going with, but ended up changing because I didn't want to deal with holiday crowds). I got the same PIN code you did. I originally was going to go with the Swan, but we ended up going with the Treehouse Villas so my parents and brother could stay with us.

For your needs, you definitely should consider Boardwalk area hotels. The Dolphin beds are all double (though I've heard they're oversized) and the Swan has queen beds. They don't have access to Disney Magical Express, but since you're driving, that won't matter.

DH and I stayed at the Yacht Club for our honeymoon, and the Boardwalk area was awesome. Lots of food options in the area and you have the ability to walk to Hollywood Studios and EPCOT. The transport was also very convenient and quick.

I also considered the Contemporary for the proximity to Magic Kingdom, but we would need 2 rooms with all the family going and that was going to be more expensive than what we paid for the Treehouse Villa.

TwinFoxes
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
I think the boardwalk area hotels are great. They are so convenient. I love being able to walk to two parks. Is your PIN good at the DVC properties? We stayed at Boardwalk Villas in October and really liked it. We had a one bedroom suite. Your boys could sleep on the pull-out sofa, and the 2 year old could sleep in a pack and play, or with you. Having a washer and dryer, and kitchenette was really great.

The only moderate I've stayed at is POR. The only value I've stayed at is All-Star Music. I thought POR was far and away a nicer hotel. ASM got a "never again" while POR was fine. I'm not itching to go back there, but I'd definitely stay again. The food at ASM was pretty mediocre (even by WDW standards) and the resort is big and loud.

If you book through AAA, you get a Diamond Parking Pass. It is great! The Diamond section at the parks are right next to the disabled parking spaces, so pretty darned close.

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Where did you get this PIN???????

hellokitty
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Where did you get this PIN???????

It was sent to my email. I've gotten pins sent to me via email and snail mail and this is by far the only one that has been very good. I've gotten some before that were kind of lame, like 15% off of a value. Have you gotten pins before? There is debate over why some ppl get pins and some don't, b/c there is no way to officially add yourself to their mailing list to get pin codes, but rumor has it that if you price up a trip on their site and save it or request their vacation dvd, etc., it may help to get you added to their list. Or if you sign up for their movie club, that has been rumored to be one way to possibly get on their list too. I have a friend who has been to WDW many times, but never gotten a pin, so it's kind of weird how some ppl get them, and some don't.

hellokitty
01-21-2011, 04:54 PM
I think the boardwalk area hotels are great. They are so convenient. I love being able to walk to two parks. Is your PIN good at the DVC properties? We stayed at Boardwalk Villas in October and really liked it. We had a one bedroom suite. Your boys could sleep on the pull-out sofa, and the 2 year old could sleep in a pack and play, or with you. Having a washer and dryer, and kitchenette was really great.

The only moderate I've stayed at is POR. The only value I've stayed at is All-Star Music. I thought POR was far and away a nicer hotel. ASM got a "never again" while POR was fine. I'm not itching to go back there, but I'd definitely stay again. The food at ASM was pretty mediocre (even by WDW standards) and the resort is big and loud.

If you book through AAA, you get a Diamond Parking Pass. It is great! The Diamond section at the parks are right next to the disabled parking spaces, so pretty darned close.

Thanks! I think that the villas were included, but I was kind of slow checking on this deal and am being told there are no more villas available for this discount. Thanks for the info on the diamond parking pass!

For your needs, you definitely should consider Boardwalk area hotels. The Dolphin beds are all double (though I've heard they're oversized) and the Swan has queen beds. They don't have access to Disney Magical Express, but since you're driving, that won't matter.

Yeah, the dolphin is twice as expensive as the mods using my pin. So not worth it, esp considering that we have to pay for parking at the dolphin. I know my DH would really love the contemporary, so I am going to ask him if he wants to spend extra to stay there or not. I'm a little afraid that if we go deluxe for our first trip, we will always have to do deluxe, lol. This will most likely be our only trip onsite where we can stay at a mod (except POR) with DS3 under the age of 3, so if we go onsite again, we will probably HAVE to go deluxe or may just stay off site.

Corie
01-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Does this sound like the same pin you got?

Yes! That's the exact same pin I got!!

pinkmomagain
01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
We've stayed at deluxe resorts and have enjoyed each of them: AK, WL, and GF. A few years ago we went the 2nd week of Dec. and stayed at Grand Floridian. It was glorious...really beautifully decorated for the holidays...giant gingerbread house, giant tree...people make an extra trip to the lobby there just to see the magnificant decorations. So if you are into that, it can be worth it. My personal favorite, though, is Wilderness Lodge...but I just have a thing of for the look and feel of the place.

hellokitty
01-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Pinkmomagain, your post is so timely, lol. DH and I discussed this earlier tonight. He can be really wishy washy about making decisions, but like I said before, he's picky about this sort of thing. So, I wanted his opinion. We ended up debating whether we wanted to do a mod or deluxe and the differences btwn the two. We went back and forth a while, and then he got frustrated that there were so many options and I should just pick. However, of the deluxe, he really like AK and WL, since they are a little bit less expensive. I thought about it and I've seen so many comments about how WL is just beautiful at Christmas with all the decorations up, that we ended up deciding to go with WL. I read on disboards.com, someone mentioning that what is so great about WL at Christmas time is not only the decorations, but the lodge/wood decor that ties into the entire look of the season and really that made a lot of sense. Plus, it seems like WL is such a favorite with so many ppl, there must be a good reason why it's so well liked! I know my boys will love it. So, I guess we have finally made our decision! Thanks everyone!

AnnieW625
01-22-2011, 03:30 AM
It was sent to my email. I've gotten pins sent to me via email and snail mail and this is by far the only one that has been very good. I've gotten some before that were kind of lame, like 15% off of a value. Have you gotten pins before? There is debate over why some ppl get pins and some don't, b/c there is no way to officially add yourself to their mailing list to get pin codes, but rumor has it that if you price up a trip on their site and save it or request their vacation dvd, etc., it may help to get you added to their list. Or if you sign up for their movie club, that has been rumored to be one way to possibly get on their list too. I have a friend who has been to WDW many times, but never gotten a pin, so it's kind of weird how some ppl get them, and some don't.

Thanks! I have at least two years to plan our trip, maybe 3 so I will definitely keep that in mind. We used to have DL passes and will get them again within the next year and maybe just maybe I'll look at the DVC stuff even though I know I can't afford it just to get on the list. I plan on getting the Disney Visa too once I know for sure we are doing WDW (we are also debating about a cruise). I guess anything helps.

What about buying points from a DVC member? You might be able to get a villa from someone.

TwinFoxes
01-22-2011, 08:36 AM
Yay, OP! I've also read that WL is beautiful at Christmas. I love the look, it reminds me of the National Parks lodges out west, which is what they were trying to do. :)

JTsMom
01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
I don't want to jinx myself, but I have PINs rolling in right now. When we were planning on first family trip, I signed up on the WDW site using 7 different emails. :bag I do different things on them. On some, I'll log in and just look. Some, I save itineraries. Some I request a DVD. One I used for the Photopass website. I did join the movie club, and the movie rewards as well. I've also bought from the Disney store, and I'm pretty sure that one of my PINs came from that purchase b/c it came in DS's name.

My gut tells me we're getting SO many right now b/c we went two years in a row, then totally skipped last year. They're trying to pull us back in (not that need to). ;) I haven't logged on to the Disny site in a long time, which probably lets them know they need to bribe me too.

We got a few of the "good" Pin (40% off deluxe), and we've gotten several lesser ones as well. Right now, I'm debating the Contemporary at 40% off, renting DVC points for BLT, or hoping for a free dining promo and doing Pop again, or maybe trying POF. We're all over the place.

Corie
01-22-2011, 09:54 AM
We stayed at the Contemporary one year and then Wilderness Lodge
the next time. We definitely love the Wilderness Lodge so much better!!

The WL is more our style. And we love taking the ferry to get to
the Magic Kingdom!

Plus, we got married at the Wilderness Lodge back in 1998 and we
stayed there for the whole week following for our honeymoon. So
we have very happy memories associated with WL. :)

pinkmomagain
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Plus, we got married at the Wilderness Lodge back in 1998 and we
stayed there for the whole week following for our honeymoon. So
we have very happy memories associated with WL. :)

Wow, lucky you getting married at WL!

I didn't realize there was so much love for WL. I thought I was a weirdo. I just adore that lodge feel...I get goosebumps thinking of it. The ferry is so unique too.

Yay to the OP! You'll have a blast.

Indianamom2
01-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Well, for ease of transportation, I really liked the Polynesian (right on the monorail), good bus transport (it's been a while though) and good dining options, plus you can watch the MK fireworks from the beach.

We also liked the Wilderness Lodge, though we only stayed one night (can't remember why we had to do that, but we did!).