PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil?? (what to buy?) A little TMI in here!

LarsMal
01-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I've been reading up on the health benefits of coconut oil, both on the skin and in the body. I'm curious to try it, but I'm a little nervous. I don't know which sites are spam and which are legit. Some say to get refined and others say unrefined. I know to get organic and virgin.

Does anyone have any experience using/taking coconut oil? Is it worth it? My body has been so weird since my cycles came back after C- I've been having breakouts like I've never had before, pain/cramping during ovulation, ovulating for what seems like a week, and really heavy periods. I don't want to go back on the pill, so I'm looking for a more natural way to get things under control first. I read that VCO can help with skin problems (acne, dry skin/eczema) as well as used for hair care (in addition to other things). I'd like to give it a shot, but I want to make sure I get the right thing.

resipsaloquitur
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I have not done it but my SIL swears by it. She (a registered dietician) says that it aids in weight loss. I need to give it a try.

Dream
01-22-2011, 12:38 AM
I've used coconut oil all my life but I don't know much about it. We buy it at the local asian/indian stores. Back in my home country we use coconut oil for cooking and apply on hair too. Or to massage your body. I'm thinkings its refined but don't think its virgin oil.

Wish I could be of more help to you.

boltfam
01-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I think it's unrefined that you want but hopefully someone more knowledgable will weigh in.

WitMom
01-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't know much about it (at all!), but I've heard the Nutiva brand recommended a lot. You can buy it on Amazon, or if you have a whole/natural foods store, they may have it, too. That's where I purchased mine.

chiisai
01-23-2011, 10:04 AM
Unrefined virgin and organic great. But, if you need refined (deoderized), there are certain ways you want to have it refined (expeller pressed) so that it doesn't damage the oil / make unhealthy for you.

Please forgive me, it's been a long time since i looked into this so I don't have a lot in my brain at the moment, i'll link one of my fav books below, though.

For unrefined virgin, which I use a lot* I use Garden of Life. I used to also use Tropical Traditions, but I prefered the taste of Garden of Life. (I also use this on my baby's bottom)

For refined**, I use the Tropical Traditions.

A friend likes Nutiva best.

A note on skincare - it's great for your skin - did wonders for my dry body (just very dry, no excema). On your face though, I suggest being very judicious in putting it on your face in the beginning, in that, use a very very small amount - it goes a long way, and be sure to wipe off extra - so you don't feel like anything is sitting on your face.

I also like coconut cream (tropical traditions sells it), and now and then coconut water.

Book I liked: http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Miracle-Previously-published-Healing/dp/1583332049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295791320&sr=8-1
-----------
* I'm not a huge fan of the flavor, i've tried several. (though i like coconut). So I reserve the unrefined for cooking things that I can handle it in, like pancakes, smoothies (though that's difficult due to the solidity point), muffins, etc. I also use unrefined when I'm sick with anything. It sounds gross and frankly it tastes it, but I have done this for several years now and will continue to because it works very well for me in reducing severity and length of colds significantly: I mix a tablespoon of the unrefined virgin coconut oil (warmed just to liquid) with a freshly minced clove of garlic and swallow it three times a day. I HAVE to chase it with something like pita chips or potato chips to overcome the taste/smell. And I drop it to twice a day if i go to work, and wear a lot of perfume, lol.

** Because i have a difficult time with the taste, I use unrefined for when I'm saute-ing or in anything I don't want to taste the coconut in. I also use olive oil and butter, I mix it up and have to experiment.

LarsMal
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Unrefined virgin and organic great. But, if you need refined (deoderized), there are certain ways you want to have it refined (expeller pressed) so that it doesn't damage the oil / make unhealthy for you.

Please forgive me, it's been a long time since i looked into this so I don't have a lot in my brain at the moment, i'll link one of my fav books below, though.

For unrefined virgin, which I use a lot* I use Garden of Life. I used to also use Tropical Traditions, but I prefered the taste of Garden of Life. (I also use this on my baby's bottom)

For refined**, I use the Tropical Traditions.

A friend likes Nutiva best.

A note on skincare - it's great for your skin - did wonders for my dry body (just very dry, no excema). On your face though, I suggest being very judicious in putting it on your face in the beginning, in that, use a very very small amount - it goes a long way, and be sure to wipe off extra - so you don't feel like anything is sitting on your face.

I also like coconut cream (tropical traditions sells it), and now and then coconut water.

Book I liked: http://www.amazon.com/Coconut-Miracle-Previously-published-Healing/dp/1583332049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295791320&sr=8-1
-----------
* I'm not a huge fan of the flavor, i've tried several. (though i like coconut). So I reserve the unrefined for cooking things that I can handle it in, like pancakes, smoothies (though that's difficult due to the solidity point), muffins, etc. I also use unrefined when I'm sick with anything. It sounds gross and frankly it tastes it, but I have done this for several years now and will continue to because it works very well for me in reducing severity and length of colds significantly: I mix a tablespoon of the unrefined virgin coconut oil (warmed just to liquid) with a freshly minced clove of garlic and swallow it three times a day. I HAVE to chase it with something like pita chips or potato chips to overcome the taste/smell. And I drop it to twice a day if i go to work, and wear a lot of perfume, lol.

** Because i have a difficult time with the taste, I use unrefined for when I'm saute-ing or in anything I don't want to taste the coconut in. I also use olive oil and butter, I mix it up and have to experiment.

Thanks for the info! I went to WF today to pick some up. I was looking for Nutiva, but it was so $$$! I ended up getting Garden of Life (before seeing this post, so yay me!). It smells SO good, but I haven't tried it yet. I love coconut, so we'll see how it goes. I'm really interested to see how it does with my horribly dry winter hands. My Vanicream, which has always worked wonders, isn't even helping right now, so I'm hoping massaging some coconut oil into my hands will help. I'm going to try it on C's dry patches, too.

Thanks for the tips on using it on the face. I've read it is a bit comedogenic, so I don't know if I'll even try it. I might try to spot treat a couple blemishes and see if it works as well as some of the reviews I've seen online.

Thanks again! I'll report back if I get up the nerve to eat it!

ShanaMama
01-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Hmmm, Julie, I have about all the same issues as you (horrible acne, ovulation pain, heavy periods, dry scaly hands...) I think I'll have to look into some coconut oil. I read your thread quickly so forgive me if I missed something, but are y'all applying it topically or drinking it?

nmosur
01-23-2011, 10:13 PM
As someone who has traditionally used coconut oil externally (haven't personally cooked with it but have eaten a lot of yummy food cooked with it), I find fresh coconut milk (not juice/water) better than coconut oil. I grind the coconut flesh and add or less of hot water and extract the milk out (basically strain it). It stays good in the fridge for almost a week. Use the milk for hair and on the body before a bath. I started doing this because I couldn't find good sources for coconut oil.

BabyBearsMom
01-24-2011, 10:20 AM
I use it...but not to ingest...for lubrication purposes :loveeyes:

I get it at Whole Foods.

amldaley
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Another BBB recommended this website and I use it alot now...(scroll down past the ads)

http://www.earthclinic.com/search.html?cx=partner-pub-2476760853251960%3Ax02k6x73rw9&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=coconut+oil&siteurl=www.earthclinic.com%2FRemedies%2Facvinegar .html&siteurl=www.earthclinic.com%2FRemedies%2Facvinegar .html#1222

sewarsh
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
My DH did a search on Amazon for "organic cooking" for me for Xmas and this came up:

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Virgin-Coconut-15-Ounce/dp/B001EO5Q64/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295921279&sr=8-1

So he got me 2 and I really like it.
It definately adds a hint of coconut flavor so be aware.
It tastes really good with scrambled eggs.
I haven't used it on my body but some people in the reviews have.